Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

300 GB rolling cache...a long....long time to create!

2 hours ago, Evros said:

May I enquire why do you create such a massive cache? I don't feel like running numbers here, but it would take forever to fill that cache by just flying around. And if you have connection speed sufficient to fill that enormous cache, then why do you even need cache in the first place?

I have mine disabled.

I’m not really sure the theory behind the rolling cache, I myself don’t use the computer for anything else but simming, I don’t game, I don’t work on it, Only time the computer goes on is to sim..So figured the space is waste anyways. Mind you I don’t think I’d go to 1 TB.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

So it's basically just a utilization of excess resources? I guess you could go with that.

Only other point I see in rolling cache is if you have limited connectivity and you frequent same places in a simulator or do round trips. For someone like me who flies all around and is not limited by connectivity, rolling or manual cache provides very little. None the less it is interesting to find out for what purpose people are using those features.

1 hour ago, ANCRM114 said:

That is about what I had in ortho4xp files amd i don't have anything else to do with that space. 

This..  Now that X-Plane with all the Ortho and  Orbx TrueEarth regions have been removed from my system I have a vast amount of free space.  I mean heck, I had an entire 500GB SSD completely empty after nuking X-Plane and everything involved with it.  Might as well put it to use with MSFS 2020 as a gigantic rolling cache. 

Edited by styckx
Grammar.. As always

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

3 hours ago, Evros said:

May I enquire why do you create such a massive cache? I don't feel like running numbers here, but it would take forever to fill that cache by just flying around. And if you have connection speed sufficient to fill that enormous cache, then why do you even need cache in the first place?

I have mine disabled.

Same thoughts here.  I tested a 30gb rolling cache as well as manually caching Manhattan island.  I saw absolutely zero difference while running the sim with or without cache. When monitering my broadband while flying the average activity is 2 Mbps with dense areas bumping up to maybe 8-10.  It's basically trickling in the scenery and I don't even see it happen.

System Specs:
asrock z390 phantom gaming mobo
I7-9700k @ 4.9 GHz
32 GB Ram
Geforce RTX 2070 running 1440p Acer monitor
FS is on dedicated 500gb M.2
Internet download speed average 450 Mbps

• Like 1

The worst part of the rolling cache is you can't recover that disk space. MSFS 2020 won't let you reduce the size. I wanted to reduce my rolling cache from 250 down to 50, and it told me I didn't have enough space left on the drive.

Edited by dobee51

9 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

The worst part of the rolling cache is you can't recover that disk space. MSFS 2020 won't let you reduce the size. I wanted to reduce my rolling cache from 250 down to 50, and it told me I didn't have enough space left on the drive.

What if you delete the folder? Would it then let you rebuild it? 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

do a Manual Cache in the same size ... took me quite some time too on a NVME SSD.

Took me so long thought it had locked up!  and only 50GB.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

4 hours ago, Martin Byrde said:

i love lucifer, i watched it all last night....it was amazing!  😈  Season 6 next year

Season 5 isn't finished yet. The 'more episodes coming soon' at the end means the second half of Season 5. They split in half for some reason. Not sure when part 2 is, I don't think they've said.

Edited by Tuskin38

5 hours ago, Evros said:

I have mine disabled.

Think of it like this. Everytime you fly over a new area, or a new city for instance, the streaming data will be also be saved into the cache. Anytime you fly over that area again, the rolling cache will load the scenery for that area from the cache instead of having to stream it again.

If you were to ever fly back to those areas you have already flown before, and your rolling cache was large enough, in theory you could stream an area only once and never have to stream it again. You'd be saving lots of unnecessary bandwidth usage.

With it only costing hard drive space, I'd say it's a pretty useful feature.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

What if you delete the folder? Would it then let you rebuild it? 

There are actually two folders, one on the C drive and an image in the WpSystem directory on the D drive. If it were possible to just delete it, couldn't the program have done that just as easily when I requested a smaller cache? It took such a long time to format that file, I'm afraid that they might have created a separate partition (or something) inside the WpSystem directory.

3 hours ago, Evros said:

So it's basically just a utilization of excess resources? I guess you could go with that.

Only other point I see in rolling cache is if you have limited connectivity and you frequent same places in a simulator or do round trips. For someone like me who flies all around and is not limited by connectivity, rolling or manual cache provides very little. None the less it is interesting to find out for what purpose people are using those features.

Pretty much.  I also like to fly VFR around my area where practicing basics like patterns.0

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

I had no problems to go from rolling cache 8GB to 32GB to 0GB to 8GB again.

I stick with the default 8GB, works nicely and I do not like the long times windows needs to process larger files.

For my home town and New York I created a manual cache for testing. But I do not feel the need to create a manual cache for any of my other flights. 8GB rolling cache are just fine.

4 hours ago, dobee51 said:

You must first click the "Clear cache" button. Then you can reduce the size.)

I watched internet traffic while flying in one direction and back. Cache 100 TB.

I figured that internet traffic would not be used on the return course. After all, the cache had to save everything.

But the internet traffic has remained the same. It decreased only when approaching the glide path. Try to repeat.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I don't think having giant rolling cache is a good idea - there is an overhead of managing such huge files