Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

New "stutter fix" circulating.

4 hours ago, TheRandomGuy said:

IMO most tweaks sound like: ”Want MSFS with less stuttering? Easy 😎 Install process lasso, disable this, and that and while you’re at it, change these settings in Windows, unpark some cores, change processor scheduling, turn on gpu accelerated window handler and make your computer run like a potato. But hey, MSFS gained 0.7 fps and is now only stuttering 40 times per minute instead of 41. All buttersmooth now!

I can vouch, all these things have turned me into a potato with eyes and the sim still pauses and stutters.

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

4 hours ago, TheRandomGuy said:

Yeah, I’ve tried most fixes available. I think very few of them actually works. Most are just outright ridicilous. Like the one about virtualization on Intel processors. If you’re not using virtual machines like VMware, Hypergene-V or similar software there’s absolutely no reason to turn it on. Don’t mess with random stuff. Wait for patches instead!

IMO most tweaks sound like: ”Want MSFS with less stuttering? Easy 😎 Install process lasso, disable this, and that and while you’re at it, change these settings in Windows, unpark some cores, change processor scheduling, turn on gpu accelerated window handler and make your computer run like a potato. But hey, MSFS gained 0.7 fps and is now only stuttering 40 times per minute instead of 41. All buttersmooth now!

Yeah, that's usually how it goes when big titles release with optimization issues that people desperately want to be able to enjoy but can't due to performance concerns. You will find posts about how literally every setting is either a huge boost in smoothness or FPS, OR the killer setting that destroys performance.

Meanwhile, the big picture is that everything remains essentially unchanged until the developer either successfully optimizes their game or hardware comes out that "fixes" the problem with brute force.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The trick definitely works. No more CPU spikes.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

2 hours ago, molleh said:

Yeah, that's usually how it goes when big titles release with optimization issues that people desperately want to be able to enjoy but can't due to performance concerns. You will find posts about how literally every setting is either a huge boost in smoothness or FPS, OR the killer setting that destroys performance.

Meanwhile, the big picture is that everything remains essentially unchanged until the developer either successfully optimizes their game or hardware comes out that "fixes" the problem with brute force.

Yeah, I'm giving up until they deliver a patch.  I believe the high end hardware is masking the real issue, but for those of us with med-low end hardware, even though during install, it recommended high settings for my system, the struggle is very real.  It's no big deal to me either way as I'm on the Game Pass version, so my investment is minimal.

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

Yup... Some serious Performance Anxiety issues around here lately!!!

• Like 3

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Yup... Some serious Performance Anxiety issues around here lately!!!

Something never change.  FS98 had Performance Anxiety.  I actually abandoned FS98 to play with ProPilot 99 because the clouds were georgeous and the sim looked pretty good with a 3dfx card.  Flight sim 2000?  Forget about it.  That was a pig,  Always a pig.

FS 2002, was much better, but those 2d/3d rotating clouds...oof.  .  I think FS2004 COF was my favorite release, nice clouds, .  Pretty good out of the box.  FSX?  Argh!!!

It only took me 10 years to get FSX running like a greased pig on my system, and now comes out FS2020 to show me who's boss.  Time to start tweaking LOD sliders and texture complexity again.....(it never ends.....the hobby within the hobby)

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

Something never change.  FS98 had Performance Anxiety.  I actually abandoned FS98 to play with ProPilot 99 because the clouds were georgeous and the sim looked pretty good with a 3dfx card.  Flight sim 2000?  Forget about it.  That was a pig,  Always a pig.

FS 2002, was much better, but those 2d/3d rotating clouds...oof.  .  I think FS2004 COF was my favorite release, nice clouds, .  Pretty good out of the box.  FSX?  Argh!!!

It only took me 10 years to get FSX running like a greased pig on my system, and now comes out FS2020 to show me who's boss.  Time to start tweaking LOD sliders and texture complexity again.....(it never ends.....the hobby within the hobby)

Exactly! Although, FS98 worked great for me.

• Like 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

2 minutes ago, Pugilist2 said:

Exactly! Although, FS98 worked great for me.

It worked great for me because I had a 3dfx card.  A lot of people didn't and it was a pig in software mode.  Pro Pilot destroyed it in environmentals with a 3dfx card.  Mountain ranges looked real, no more pyramids.  Clouds were fluffy and volumetric, not made up of Minecraft blocks.  And the areas you could fly in had satellite data, so you could navigate by roads.  It looks crude now but back then it had FS98 beat in all categories except scenery coverage and flight modelling.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

It worked great for me because I had a 3dfx card.  A lot of people didn't and it was a pig in software mode.  Pro Pilot destroyed it in environmentals with a 3dfx card.  Mountain ranges looked real, no more pyramids.  Clouds were fluffy and volumetric, not made up of Minecraft blocks.  And the areas you could fly in had satellite data, so you could navigate by roads.  It looks crude now but back then it had FS98 beat in all categories except scenery coverage and flight modelling.    

I also had a 3dfx card and still have one of their mouse pad's. Pro Pilot was a great sim, but did not have as much freeware available.

Edited by Pugilist2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I think a lot of the consistent stuttering people are experiencing (especially the ones that tried lowering their settings and still didn't resolve anything) might be because of simconnect... People who are using external radio panels with spad.next or something related, people who use little navmap, etc. Maybe it's even something that runs in the background and people are not aware it's using simconnect. As someone mentioned above, simconnect is bugged and is causing massive amount of stutters. You really need to make sure you don't turn on any software that is using it. 

My sim is running very smooth, but as soon as I use my external radio panel or some planning software, all hell breaks loose.

But in any case, lets hope the patch resolves this and other issues, and lets hope it comes soon 🙂

Edited by dikkeduif

1 hour ago, dikkeduif said:

I think a lot of the consistent stuttering people are experiencing (especially the ones that tried lowering their settings and still didn't resolve anything) might be because of simconnect... People who are using external radio panels with spad.next or something related, people who use little navmap, etc. Maybe it's even something that runs in the background and people are not aware it's using simconnect. As someone mentioned above, simconnect is bugged and is causing massive amount of stutters. You really need to make sure you don't turn on any software that is using it. 

My sim is running very smooth, but as soon as I use my external radio panel or some planning software, all hell breaks loose.

But in any case, lets hope the patch resolves this and other issues, and lets hope it comes soon 🙂

There's never a magic bullet that works for everyone, at least not that I have found.  I'm pleasantly surprised at just how well my system handles itself.   I know the cause of my issues.  I have an i5-7400 and I'm bottle necked at CPU.  My GPU seems to be handling itself nicely.  I can run all Ultra settings set my scaling to 80 percent, which gives the GPU a little breather, and set my Terrain LOD and Object LOD at around 30 or so.  This keeps my pauses at minimum since the CPU doesn't have to crunch that many scenery tiles around the plane.  Object pop in is not great, but easily better than FSX is even now.  

However, because my CPU is choked, when I first start a flight, I need to usually wait an additional minute to takeoff because my CPU is still crunching data.  I simply use my POV to scan around the cockpit.  If it's chunky and stuttering ( and it is), Then I have to wait.  As soon as it becomes smooth, I know my CPU is done and I can go. 

Of course I'm running at 1080p.  Trying to run 4K on my rig would be a fools errand.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 2

Yet to test this lasso process... My case is nothing new but worked like a charm for me (you may ask: what you were doing?) simply turned ON hyper threading on bios and threaded optimization ON on Nvidia panel. BTW my specs are modest i7 7700 no K, 32 gb ram, GTX1080ti and 1 TB ssd M.2, never imagined the lock ups are gone, some micro stutters yet to resolve, using ultra in 1080p rendering scale at 100, no AI, no rolling and manual caches.

Alexander Colka

On 8/24/2020 at 5:16 AM, Carlosx said:

Hmm, I tested process lasso as suggested, but it made no difference whatsoever.

good to know

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro