Sign in to follow this  
Gomoto

60 FPS in 4k

Possible, but only if you go with render scale 50%

It looks much better than true 1920x1080 but not quite as good as true 3840x2160

On some days I will fly at 30 FPS Ultra 4k

On other days I will fly at 60 FPS High upscaled 4k 

Why would anybody care about 60 FPS? This is a serious question. I just don't understand why it's necessary. 

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 minute ago, W2DR said:

Why would anybody care about 60 FPS? This is a serious question. I just don't understand why it's necessary. 

Agree.  And a post with zero system specs is 200% meaningless.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Perhaps it was based on his 60 posts here!

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

20 minutes ago, W2DR said:

It's from fast paced games where 60 fps provides less input lag. That is not really needed for a civ flight sim.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Perhaps I left the system specs out because they are misleading in this case 😉

I like to play at 30 FPS and ultra fidelity in 4k. But I do not like to play at 30 FPS in my HP VR set. Sometimes I like the fluidity of 60 FPS on my 4k monitor as well.

Most people think higher specced GPU's will reach them 60 FPS at 4k. But for now I do not think people reach 60 FPS at 100% renderscale. Especially I think the expectations for the 3080/3090 cards will not be met in this regard as well.

Before faster CPUs will be available it will be probably not possible to reach 60 FPS at full scale rendered 4k.

If you achieve 4k 60 FPS at 100% rendering scale on your system I am very interested in your settings and specs.

For now and the forseeable future I asume it will regardless of your hardware need to include a rendering scale below 100 if you aim for the 60FPS.

But the next gen NVIDIA is on the horizon, we will know soon for sure.

Edited by Gomoto
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

I like to play at 30 FPS and ultra fidelity in 4k. But I do not like to play at 30 FPS in my HP VR set. Sometimes I like the fluidity of 60 FPS on my 4k monitor as well.

Most people think higher specced GPU's will reach them 60 FPS at 4k. But for now I do not think people reach 60 FPS at 100% renderscale. Especially I think the expectations for the 3080/3090 cards will not be met in this regard as well.

Before faster CPUs will be available it will be probably not possible to reach 60 FPS at full scale rendered 4k.

If you achieve 4k 60 FPS at 100% rendering scale on your system I am very interested in your settings and specs.

For now and the forseeable future I asume it will regardless of your hardware need to include a rendering scale below 100 if you aim for the 60FPS.

But the next gen NVIDIA is on the horizon, we will know soon for sure.

You mention rendering scale - where is that applied ? thanks 

Rich Sennett

23 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

I have fluctuated close to 60 at times in ultra 4k but can't stay there when the scenery starts to become dense

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Lowest FPS % time is more important than Average FPS, meaning what % of time does the FPS dip to what rate. Actual FPS is hardly the determining factor of how smooth the game is overall. A lot of the FPS counters are so inaccurate because of the sampling lagging behind.

Even if you get a dip to 5 fps only a tiny fraction of the time and it's 80fps the rest of the time, but that happens every 10 seconds as a 1/2 second lag, then that would be a very jerky game.

So just saying 60fps does not really mean much, especially in a game like this with super inconsistent FPS depending on what you are flying over, where you are looking, and what aircraft you are in.

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I did find my 60 FPS settings by starting with every single setting turned off or turned down to the lowest possible state. Than I used the internal FPS counter from the developer mode to monitor CPU and GPU performance. I was interested in the max possible performance with this ultra low start settings and how much can I preserve while cranking up setting by setting. Goal is not so much the result, I equally enjoy exploring the settings and the possibilities. 

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

Smoother joystick and camera maneuver for example.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

what lxoye said, especially for close formation flying in Multiplayer,

or if possible i try allways minimum 60fps at the landing challenges,

not allways possible with the bigger planes but the rest.

It is for me at least a big difference to lets say 30fps.

60fps has a big difference over 30fps. Especially for precision inputs, or using things like trackIR. I’m not saying 30fps is bad, just that 60 is a much better feeling. Less Input lag. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

Because it's much better in every way. The days of 'your eye can only see 30fps' or whatever garbage have long gone, and has been proven to be completely incorrect. 

• Like 7