Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Tree height fix

On 8/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, MatthewS said:

For those interested, about a week ago SlidHydra647449 posted a tree height fix over in the official forums. 👏

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-fix-the-tree-trees-height-bug-how-to-guide-with-pics/139607

Not tried it yet, but it sounds like all tree (and other vegetation) species can have their min/max heights configured in a XML file.

Great! 👍

I just need the settings to change it back if Asobo monkeys around with this.  The tree height looks fine in Florida and Georgia...🥺

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I just need the settings to change it back if Asobo monkeys around with this.  The tree height looks fine in Florida and Georgia...🥺

Just make a backup of the file? Then you can always restore the original values.

Matthew S

13 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Just make a backup of the file? Then you can always restore the original values.

I need the original settings should Asobo change the setting.

FS2020 

The link provided doesn't work for me. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can log in but I keep getting this message after the login screen.

Oops

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Detailed information about the error was logged, and an automatic notification generated. We'll take a look at it.

No further action is necessary. However, if the error condition persists, you can provide additional detail, including steps to reproduce the error, by posting a discussion topic in the site's feedback category.

44 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I need them to not make the trees any shorter.  Trees in real life around my house are 4 to 5 times the height of the houses but in sim they are only 2 to 3 times.  I'm OK with it because not every tree is 4 to 5 times the height of your average house and it basically looks good in sim but it does take away the ability to see it as it is for real.  My area has been Mathewed.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

Oh I see, you like the current settings... so just copy the file somewhere safe as a backup... then if Asobo ever changes the settings you can revert them to the settings in your backup file.

• Upvote 1

Matthew S

6 hours ago, sightseer said:

I need them to not make the trees any shorter.  Trees in real life around my house are 4 to 5 times the height of the houses but in sim they are only 2 to 3 times.  I'm OK with it because not every tree is 4 to 5 times the height of your average house and it basically looks good in sim but it does take away the ability to see it as it is for real.  My area has been Mathewed.

I would think your area is an exception, rather than the rule, and especially in urban areas where trees don't get a chance to grown to enormous heights.

Anyway, it's great Asobo lets us tweak the settings to our own preference. 

Matthew S

6 hours ago, Sticks said:

The link provided doesn't work for me. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can log in but I keep getting this message after the login screen.

Oops

The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Works for me, but maybe just use the search.  Search for fix the tree and you'll see it.

Matthew S

19 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Dude there is an edit button, you don't need to multipost.

I see a post and I reply.  Not thinking in advance about how many replies I might be making and that I should compose a single reply quoting from multiple sources so that you're not triggered. 🤦‍♂️

Other forum software is able to combine multiple consecutive replies into a single reply to remove "visual clutter".  But this forum software seems to be lacking in this regard.

Matthew S

6 hours ago, Sticks said:

The link provided doesn't work for me. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It's in our 'Tips and tricks' section:

EDIT: The answer to how to change the tree sizes that is. The fastest way to be able to log into the MSF forum again will probably be by simply creating a new second Microsoft account.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

48 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Anyway, it's great Asobo lets us tweak the settings to our own preference. 

Wish that was the case with aircraft with wrong fuel loads (cough, Longitude).  I digress, another topic for another thread...

FS2020 

2 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

It's in our 'Tips and tricks' section:

EDIT: The answer to how to change the tree sizes that is. The fastest way to be able to log into the MSF forum again will probably be by simply creating a new second Microsoft account.

Thanks for the headsup. Will check it out.

6 hours ago, MatthewS said:

I see a post and I reply.  Not thinking in advance about how many replies I might be making and that I should compose a single reply quoting from multiple sources so that you're not triggered. 🤦‍♂️

Other forum software is able to combine multiple consecutive replies into a single reply to remove "visual clutter".  But this forum software seems to be lacking in this regard.

As you read through a thread, just click the multi-quote button as you go and then do your replies once you've collected all the posts you want to reply to. Simple. If you're worried you won't remember what you were going to say, you could just type replies in a notepad file, ready to paste in. Keeps the thread smaller and easier for everyone to navigate. It's really not that hard to do.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)