Sign in to follow this  
b1bmsgt

"Press Any Key to Start" Problem Potential Fix

Hi!

To all those who are having problems getting a keypress to take on the opening Press any key to Start screen, I found that if I press my left mouse button before pressing a key, it takes the keypress right away. Don't know if it will work for anyone else, but it does for me...

Russ

• Like 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

If you press a key and the game doesn't start, you should mouse-click on the start screen too.

Sometimes another application may still have the focus, and the keypress doesn't work. 

Yeah, I've run into that to.  It's almost as if the program starts "out of focus" from a keyboard standpoint and you have to left click on the mouse to put the program back into focus.

I find double or triple clicking LMB does the trick rather than mashing the keyboard. Very surprised this wasn't actually fixed in the first patch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

I find double or triple clicking LMB does the trick rather than mashing the keyboard. Very surprised this wasn't actually fixed in the first patch.

I'm surprised they haven't just gotten rid of this stupid screen. It provides zero value to the user. I already launched the sim, why would I need to be prompted to 'start'? It's a pointless step and has obviously just created another point of failure for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

XFmn47F.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The reason for this is almost entirely because of their intent to port this to XBox at some point.  It's likely similar to the reason so many other games have this what is seemingly a useless feature.  Its simply to meet the requirements of the licensing program for the consoles.  Part of the certification process is how long before first interactivity in a game upon loading.  The idea of this rule is so that gamers get a good experience on loading their games and from the time they start to the time they interact.  The problem is games have gotten so large and complex that this is often not enough time so what developers do will have "Push <button> to continue" and then continues the loading process this meets the requirements of the various console certification programs like "30 seconds before first interactivity" and also lets developers to continue to load the game as needed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

The reason for this is almost entirely because of their intent to port this to XBox at some point.

Yup, as you say, this is indeed the reason.

So yeah it's annoying, but as we know, the fact that it is going to be ported to consoles is half the reason it even exists for the PC; it's kind of the price we have to pay for actually having a new iteration of the Flight Simulator series at all.

Press a key to have this post self-destruct in in five seconds. 🤣

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

37 minutes ago, Chock said:

XFmn47F.jpg

LMAO!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

left mouse first then keystroke fixes.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

Thank you all. I just joined AVSIM. This is the only place that solved this problem for me. In my case just pressing the left mouse button works, in just a few seconds I'm on the Welcome screen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 0861GUNS said:

Thank you all. I just joined AVSIM. This is the only place that solved this problem for me. In my case just pressing the left mouse button works, in just a few seconds I'm on the Welcome screen.

Welcome bud!  👍 

Pressing LMB works for me as well but sometimes takes two clicks.  Maybe one is to add focus back to the screen, as I Alt-tab out during loading to set up VFRMap.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.