Sign in to follow this  
Chase

The current state of the forum.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi 8Ball,Good post. Some of the threads lately are a study in the practice of the chaos theory. Let's hope cooler heads and will soon reign. :-scatterCheers,Jim

Understood, but it seems that most fsx users are having serious problems with it, and hence get a little short tempered. lolLets all go to Willie G's house for an attitude adjustment party.

Guest RGH

Yes we all need to settle down me included,We have got it now Let us make the most of it.Regards,Rex

Guest JJCarter

I have to agree with the above post. Hopefully the sysops are seeing the same thing in their eyes. I used to come here for help and tips on how to enjoy the game, get rid of a percieved bug or wrong system setting, and with all the current rants my plea for assistance scrolls off within minutes most of the time to the back pages. VERY frustrating. I've since started to look at the myriad of other Flight sim sites for assistance. They either don't allow, or have a seperate formum for the ones that just want to troll, rant, complain, and get everyone stirred up. AVSIM staff.... PLEASE take back control of your forum! I've be coming here for years for my flight sim info... but I'm being driven way by these non-contructive posts. Thank you.Jim Carter

When I first joined in here at Avsim, I was taken back by the kind and helpful manner of the members here. I made my switch to Avsim as my home for that reason. That was years ago, and for the most part that attitude has remained.I appreciate those members that remain respectfull and helpfull despite the poison being thrown about at times.EDITI just read what Jim said and it is very true, I do at times look elsewhere for help. I do also notice that others have opened a 'RANT' forum for members to blow of steam. Maybe that would work here.[hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="2" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1][td width=500]Jason[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]

Hi Asim.I think this is just business as usual. I have always noticed small storms brewing on most forums. Since the release of FSX I think the chatter has risen. Still, there are lots of helpful posts here as well. I can pretty much tell by the subject line whether a particular post is useless and simply choose not to open it. Sort of like TV these days.Take care,By the way, AVSIM always does a pretty good job of knowing when to step in. It's a fine balance. I think the forum is working great. There are also many other sections to visit here as well.

Nice post Asim. In fact the forums have become so boring of late that I actually find it an effort to bother looking in here as there's so few posts that look remotely interesting!An example is the one I just read by someone stating something like "FSX performs so bad on my up to date PC I'm getting a refund" I mean, what on earth is the point in that post i.e. how bad, what PC?I did the same thing I do for each release and updated my hardware based on what I read in these forums. I assume that's what most users do, and if they don't..........well they'll get the same poor performance everyone with old hardware gets when a new version of FS is released. I know there are some who think they need to wait for Vista/DX10/DX10 GPU/DX10 version of FSX patch etc and if that's what they want to do, then they need to accept that on their now old PC, sliders need to stay towards the left.For me, whatever is going to come in the future (and we're not talking about just a few months here) is well, in the future. As it is today, FSX is a Windows XP/DX9 product and requires up to date hardware to run decently.......same as every single other release has done.In fact the PC I have now will happily let me fly around south east England with all sliders to the right (except autogen - low, road traffic/boats - low) and with 3 layers of cloud at around 40 fps!! And that's using the DF727 (FSX development version) and absolutely no tweaks as of yet. I could never do this with FS9 and the PC upgrade for FSX cost me less than the one for FS9 over 3 years ago.Incidentally, I did try setting all sliders to the right (including autogen/traffic etc) and flew an approach into London City. I got a poor 9 fps, but then that's to be expected.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest allcott

Again, there was already a very similar topic opened, which already had lots of valid comments. Was there really any reason to open yet another?It's all very well making comments like the original poster. But how about practising what you preach first? How polite is it to create a new topic when you could just as well have posted in that one as a point of personal view?Allcott

Guest smarti05

I think you should consider that a lot of people on here are now a lot more computer literate and hardware 'aware' than when fs9 came out, you'll probably find that the fsx sympathizers do little more on a pc than run flight sim and type in forums.It seems to be that beneath the loud rude posts, there is still a groundswell of articulate posters that are also knowledgeable with regard to what can and cannot be done on modern hardware, they feel very let down by the fsx fiasco.Such people probably come across as blunt because they find themselves in a truly exasperating situation.Modern hardware, when used correctly, (which is not difficult) is stunningly capable in terms of visual effects and the blistering frame rates at which these can be produced.If this is released on the xbox, it will be very interesting to see how it runs or what they chop out to make it work, because as it stands it aint gonna work too well.My guess is that most of the distance detail will be completely blurred out.

I understand both sides, because I am equally frustrated and overjoyed with FSX. It's the same game all over with every release of FS - people complaining about the fps, as that is all what counts.Give it a few weeks and the forum will be back to normal, because even the loudest complainers will get bored with complaining. I am interested in all the new tweaks, but I am over the complaining part, conspiracy theories and "DX10/Vista will fix it all" predictions.People somehow have the misconception that increased quality of the FSX graphics can be cured by miracle coding, when the fact is that only new hardware (and some tweaking) can produce a more fluid experience.Pat

Guest FxF3

"All you FSX haters should get your own forum!!"I started that thread and see nothing wrong with it. If you read my post you can see all I was asking for was the name calling to end. The lies about how FSX would not run on any machine to stop and a few others thing so the forum could get back in order. I apoligigize to any person that thought it was a name calling thread on my part.

I agree!! I've posted quite a few replies and or responses in the forum re: FSX. Initally I start out either asking for help or trying to offer help. It ends up with folks bashing me, FSX or everything in general. Case in point: Here is the first post in a thread I responded to. Even with my system I can't get the enjoyment out of FSX as I do with FS9. FSX has some nice features but the low frame rate, hesitations, lagginess that comes and goes, just plain sucks, and doesn't justify all the money wasted to make it work. The add-ons are going to suffer even more by lowering the frame rate further and driving the price up.How many hundreds or thousands of dollars have you spent?Cheers,WaldoWXP(sp2)|Dx9.0c|AMD FX-62|Gigabyte 7950 GX2 (92.91 drivers)|OCZ 700W PS|Foxconn C51XEM2AA|Zalman cooler|2 gig Corsair XMS 6400|Gigabyte 3D Arura Case|Audigy2|Maxtor 60 & Seagate 250 Sata|Viewsonic 19"|Micron 19"|TM F-16 FLCS, F-16 TQS (digital), Elite RuddersHere is my response: RE: Well for me anyway, FS9 rules, FSX waste of moneyWaldo,With all due repect if you can't get FSX to run decently with yoursystem I would suggest that:1) You haven't tried any or all of the tweaks available.Here is a link for most of the tweaks all in one place.http://www.fox-fam.com/wordpress/?page_id=412) You have a serious problem with your system.If there is anything I can do to help you get it running I'll beglad to.Craig The following is a respose from one of your own staff reviewers: With all due respect Craig:I can't get FSX to run decently on my computer. I'm not asking for full sliders to the right, but I ain't flying around over some ridiculous flat photorealistic map either pretending that the world really looks like that.Now.1) I've tried all the tweaks available2) My PC screams with EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE TITLE, except FSX tell me about the serious problems I have with my PC. My specs are below.TEll you what. Where do you live? I will FLY you here first class and if you can tweak my PC so that it is not a stuttering mess then I will pay for your ticket, your hotel and a rent-a-car for a WEEK. If you cannot then YOU pay for your own stay.How about putting your $$$ (pounds, rupies, sheckles, etc.) where your mouth is.Regards,Mike T.AVSIM Staff Reviewer Now if an AVSIM staff reviewer is fanning the flames then what exactly do you expect everyone else to do? Your reviewer is running FSX on Vista Beta and not even running it on XP as the vast majority are. I would expect more from a staff member of what I and many others consider to be the premier site for flightsimming. Respectfully yours, Craig

Great post Asim, right on the money what I have been saying..Some of these rude people lately, I would have temporarily banned to calm their jets. You guys (Rob. Kirkland, saudi_777, Tom A.) have more patience than me. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (91.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>"All you FSX haters should get your own forum!!">>I started that thread and see nothing wrong with it. If you>read my post you can see all I was asking for was the name>calling to end. >I agreed with the general crux of your thread, in that you just wanted the name calling and impolite behavior to stop. :) But I also felt like you could have framed your thread title a little better, to state exactly what you wanted -- "stop the impolite behavior" or something like that. Maybe. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Yes Craig I think he was a little over-the-top there. And to what purpose? I mean, there's no need to get melodramatic about any of this stuff. That won't solve any problems, just cause other ones.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett