Sign in to follow this  
zihmer001

VATSIM: Perspective from the new guy

I write this as someone who is NOT a real world pilot.  I've been excited with (and overall happy with) MSFS2020.  When I first saw the trailer announcement for VATSIM, I had to look up what it was.  Sure enough, it was really cool sounding (and intimidating) - it would let me experience flying with ATC.  Why would I want that? Because as I press "1" for Takeoff clearance in FS2020, I find myself wishing that I could talk to ATC and have it actually talk back to me.  VATSIM does this.

What is VATSIM?  From the gaming world, this is a unique multiplayer, cross platform flying world.  It allows you to take the role as either pilot or air traffic controller.  It allows the entire world to operate in real time, with any Controllers and Pilots that want to take part.  Want to see what I am talking about?  Here is an online map of pilots (and where they are) and controllers.  Black planes are the pilots, Red names with various sized circles are controllers and their respective zones.

https://vatmm.org/map

If you go to VATSIM's website, and start reading about how this all works one thing becomes clear.  It is not for the uninitiated and there are a lot of rules.  Lots of rules.  It quickly makes you second guess (if not a real pilot, or not a long time simmer) if you should create an account or not.  I wanted to come on here to say that, bad apples ruin a lot - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak.  Across the interwebs, many people bash VATSIM.  I find it to be incredibly unfair.  I have been having a blast.  The Controllers are realistic but friendly - I believe everyone that I have flown with has wanted to give the simulated real deal...help pilots safely and correctly get from gate to gate.  

I have been listening when Controllers ask a pilot to give his altitude and it goes unnoticed.  The Controllers are rightly unhappy.  As the new guy, if you give the altitude not 100% correctly they either just accept it (if its been busy) or say "actually, you should give it to me like this next time if you can" (if it isn't so busy).  The Controllers are professional, nice, and having fun.  These folks want to be a controller as much as I want to be a pilot. I also had a Controller answer my questions on how we would get me from where I was, to lined up for an ILS approach - I had a path in my flight plan, and the Controller was going to (realistically) bring me in another way.  At the time, I didn't know that was normal, so I asked why we were doing it this way, and got a great answer.

How do you actually get into VATSIM?  Read what you can from the website.  Create an account, go to the dashboard, do the mandatory training and take your test. It is 15 questions - if you can't answer the questions then no, you shouldn't be in the system.  Another thing VATSIM asks is that you don't try to fly a new airplane for the first time in the system.  I agree.  In fact, I'll give what I think you should know and understand.

Go to Flight Aware, and figure out how to read a Map Diagram of an airport, the Departure charts, and Arrival Charts (SID / STAR).  You can use FS2020 global flight planner to preload the G1000, FMC, etc.

Understand how to start up an aircraft as you cannot start on a ramp or runway.  Nothing wastes more time then having zero clue how to get the plane fired up.  I'll talk G1000 planes as that what I am using, the concepts are the same but terminology could be slightly different.

Understand how to enter FLIGHT PLAN and change active leg, this helps to keep you from circling around and able to go vector where ATC wants you to go.  How to load a DIRECT TO or at least figure out a heading from a given location to the next NAVAID.  How to then get back into your loaded FLIGHT PLAN.  How to load a DEPARTURE, ARRIVAL, and APPROACH into the G1000.  This will set up your flight plan to be more accurate.

How to use Auto Pilot - I think this helps...many people will say to start flying a 152 or 172, fly, speak to ATC, because that is what you do when earning your PPL.  I don't disagree, but I believe it is a steeper learning curve.  If the plane is on AP, it frees you up to think and talk to ATC.  I've done 6 flights now, last night I flew by hand from takeoff until I got to my "as filed" NAVAID - I actually found it to be easier.  That was not the case for me a few days ago.  For AP in the G1000, understand Roll/Pitch hold, fly to heading HDG, fly to altitude (either VS or FLC), NAV, and APP.  

VATSIM says it, but I'll reiterate for the level of competency you should have.  Can you takeoff, turn to a heading, and level off at a given altitude (say 3000')? If so, you will be fine.  If you can't level off, trim it out, and 3000 turns into 5600, practice a little more.

A couple other notes for VATSIM.  You need the charts 🙂. You can get them from flightaware.com or plenty of apps, systems.  Get them, and get them before you are in the air.  I always have:

• Departing Airport Diagram
  • Departures
  • Arrival Airport Diagram
  • Arrivals
  • Approaches

Also have a notepad, iPad, something to put your own notes on, and to write down everything ATC will give you.  Always have it handy, especially from getting clearance through getting to your as filed portion of your flight plan.  They can and will have you fly wherever they need you to go.  Pick out a callsign for your plane that you can go "yeah, that's me!"

Lastly, before doing anything for real - load up MSFS2020, find a busy airport, and park - tune in and listen to what people ask and say. It will give you a feel of the tempo and what gets asked/said.

In short, VATSIM is a ton of fun.  Because it is multiplayer, you have to respect others.  If you can do that, I think it is a wonderful and incredibly fun platform.  I may try to make a few videos for the true new person.  I found the videos that I saw on YouTube were helpful, but still assumed that I knew more than I did.  If you can control your airplane, I'd give VATSIM a shot.

Just remember, for your first flight - we all sat there for 20 minutes afraid to trigger the PTT to say our first words to ATC.  End of the day, it is a game.  A realistic game.  A game where we can live out doing more real world things for practice, because we can't in real life, or any other reason - VATSIM doesn't care, it just lets you get in the cockpit and adds a depth of realism.

• Like 22
  • Upvote 1

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

Well done first advice to new Vatsim users!

Edited by yurei
  • Like 1

Excellent post !  Having flown on VATSIM for 18 years, you have described a very accurate model for anyone wishing to enhance their realism while flying MSFS.  The best thing about increasing the number of new pilots to VATSIM is how this increases the number of new ATC controllers to VATSIM.  As you will quickly see the Controllers in VATSIM are our NUMBER 1 asset ! 👍

• Like 2

WAT1460.png

Great post! I've been "trying" to get into VATSIM for probably 3 years now. But I chicken out constantly.  This year, I bought FS2020, I bought a new PC that can easily handle it, along with a few other utilities, and my goal is to get into VATSIM.  Your article gives me a bit more confidence.  I might just give it a shot on the weekend! Thanks for that well written article.

I still need to understand a few things (like, how do you know if someone is listening, who do you talk to if your area isn't currently covered, etc) but I'm sure with enough reading, I'll find the answer to my questions.

thank you again!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, realm174 said:

I still need to understand a few things (like, how do you know if someone is listening, who do you talk to if your area isn't currently covered, etc) but I'm sure with enough reading, I'll find the answer to my questions.

thank you again!

Install and learn this app >>> https://vat-spy.informer.com/1.0/   Now you will have direct knowledge of  live ATC coverage (who/what/where) and other aircraft near you. If no ATC available you will always monitor and use  UNICOM (122.80)

Never connect to VATSIM while sitting on a runway.

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

52 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Excellent post !  Having flown on VATSIM for 18 years, you have described a very accurate model for anyone wishing to enhance their realism while flying MSFS.  The best thing about increasing the number of new pilots to VATSIM is how this increases the number of new ATC controllers to VATSIM.  As you will quickly see the Controllers in VATSIM are our NUMBER 1 asset ! 👍

#1 Asset times a million! Controllers are what make VATSIM.

• Like 1

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

32 minutes ago, realm174 said:

Great post! I've been "trying" to get into VATSIM for probably 3 years now. But I chicken out constantly.  This year, I bought FS2020, I bought a new PC that can easily handle it, along with a few other utilities, and my goal is to get into VATSIM.  Your article gives me a bit more confidence.  I might just give it a shot on the weekend! Thanks for that well written article.

thank you again!

Real174 - I am very similar to you, I built my rig explicitly for FS2020, bought the Logitech gear and have been having fun.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the article.  For VATSIM, give it a go!  I would say weekend mornings have some traffic, but are not terribly busy.  Regarding your questions...

For FS2020 the client to interact with VATSIM is vPilot (as of now).  When you spawn into an airport at parking/gate, you will then CONNECT vPilot.  This will show you the frequencies that are manned, that are within your ability to listen/interact.  This will correspond to maps like VATSIM Mobile Monitor and others.  If it shows up, they are listening.  VATSIM uses the top down system, and as far as I can tell (and a quick discussion with a controller Sunday AM) they REALLY follow it.  Each part that I breakout next can do the role of whatever is beneath it; a controller can never work upwards...

• Center (CTR) - they control vast expanses of the country; they will also assume any role beneath this for an airport in their vicinity if it is typically a controlled airport
    • Approach / Departure (APP / DEP)  this is a given area around an airport to get you departed or approaching - again they will control as much as they can within their zone - sometimes this picks up an extra airport (for example KMCO APP - Orlando Approach picks up (I think) Tampa Bay Airport, and Orlando Executive Airport)  Depends who is on, but if you were flying out of Orlando Executive, you will tune into KMCO APP (provided that is how the stars align that day)
      • Tower (TWR) - this is a much smaller area, truly confined to the given airport - they control the runways
        • Ground (GND) - this is up to the actual runway, controlling taxiways, ramps, etc
          • Delivery (DEL) - they control clearances, nothing else

The really big airports may have all aspects (KORD, KJFK, KPHL, etc).  Yesterday, I flew KAGC (Allegheny County Airport - smaller but controlled airport right by Pittsburgh International) to KERI (Erie International on Lake Erie in PA).  I was under control of Cleveland Center.  I got clearance for IFR, taxi clearance, takeoff clearance, departure instructions, usual updates/info with CENTER, approach to KERI, Tower/Ground functions at Erie, until I shut down my plane.  Honestly - if it isn't busy, this might help you because you don't keep changing frequencies.  You set your radio and leave it be.  Also when you file your plan, under remarks put that you are new to VATSIM (even admitting 1st flight) - people will be even more helpful.  Also - put that you are using FS2020.  I had a bug creep up and my controller non-nonchalantly just told me to press a keyboard button to get us back to happy simming.

If you have more questions, let me know - DM me and we can figure a way to chat.  I rightly or wrongly didn't have any help, and a few easy questions would have made it more enjoyable for me to get into VATSIM.  Happy flying!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, realm174 said:

thank you again!

The easiest way to get into VATSIM is to do a VFR traffic pattern around the airport. Pick an airport with an ATC controller that has no traffic or as little traffic as possible (a smaller and simple airport will also make it easier).  You can message the ATC controller in vPilot ahead of time and let them know you are a newbie.  File a simple VFR traffic pattern flight plan.  Also, turn off the option in vPilot that distorts the radio so that you can hear the ATC controller clearly.  And of course, make sure you have downloaded the taxiway diagram for that airport before you start.

Before you start on your first flight in VATSIM though, it's suggested you read up on ATC phraseology.  Because when you pass the P0 exam in VATSIM, it's just not enough information to get you started.  If you have FSX, you can review the lessons on ATC, which is really good.  VATSIM also has 2 lessons on ATC phraseology (one lesson for US phraseology, and one lesson for ICAO phraseology).  Pay attention to the ATC phraseology used in MSFS as well as that is also helpful. From there, I would highly recommend you watch some Youtube videos on VATSIM so you are prepared for the procedures and phraseology used.  The FSX lessons also help - if you are doing a VFR traffic pattern flight, the FSX lesson on traffic pattern was really helpful (the ATC controller in VATSIM assumed I knew what "crosswind," "downwind", and "base" meant).  

The last thing you want to do is something really complex like an IFR flight from a super busy airport (you will just stress out the ATC controller if the airport is very busy and you are a noob), where you are expected to follow SIDs and STARs.  And of course, do your reading and learning beforehand to get prepared (that's why you watch the Youtube videos beforehand so you know what to expect).  There are also some Twitch streams you can watch with live VATSIM controllers - I was asking questions in those Twitch channels before I did my first flight.  And of course, you can spawn as an observer in VATSIM and just tune into the radio and listen so you can learn.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Oh for anyone new to VATSIM....something that I found really useful.  It helps to use Live Weather, so that what ATC tells you is applicable.  However, you can change the time of day.  A lot of us work, do family or just things, and can't log on until 10pm.  You can still fly like it is sunny and 9am 🙂 I put it in remarks that although you used Live UTC for Off Block time, that you are running a daytime set.  Just remember to use lights (Nav, Beacon, Strobe) so that others can more easily see you.

I'm more a glass half full guy, I'm not here to rag on MS and Asobo - I think they did a great job and I am truly thankful they brought back MSFS.  I think some if not most planes have a bug around changing barometric pressure from 29.92.  I changed it on a few flights and autopilot kept going haywire.  I've since stopped updating it and my plane behaves normally.  Just be aware that you altitude will not be perfect.  

Also - controllers have been good at asking if I am capable of doing certain things because of bugs.  They won't all do it, especially if its busy.  But again - if there are 6 planes in a CTR space, they will try to keep in mind that you might not have full capability.

11 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

Also - controllers have been good at asking if I am capable of doing certain things because of bugs.  They won't all do it, especially if its busy.  But again - if there are 6 planes in a CTR space, they will try to keep in mind that you might not have full capability.

That’s good to know. I’ve had an account forever but always been too nervous to actually do it. With the stupidness brought on by the last patch I figured  it meant vatsim was essentially unusable due to all the bugs. Especially the avionics bugs. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Great Post! So many people are scared of VATSIM and I don't know why. Yes it can seem intimidating, and I respect the people that want to stay off until they feel a lot more competent, but why not jump in and take advantage of the training opportunities there are? VATSIM's own training materials coupled with Authorized Training Organizations like VATSTAR make it very friendly for new users to get guidance and not have to just "go it alone."

Yes, some controllers can be cranky and understandably give negative impressions to the new user, but if you're unfortunate enough to run across one, don't let it dissuade you.. Try again with another controller and I'm confident you will have a pleasant experience.

We controllers love new pilots who have a desire to learn and get better. It's the ones that refuse to get better and view ATC as a burden that get under our skin sometimes!

• Like 1

Matt Bartels

8 minutes ago, fastwings said:

Great Post! So many people are scared of VATSIM and I don't know why. Yes it can seem intimidating, and I respect the people that want to stay off until they feel a lot more competent, but why not jump in and take advantage of the training opportunities there are? VATSIM's own training materials coupled with Authorized Training Organizations like VATSTAR make it very friendly for new users to get guidance and not have to just "go it alone."

Yes, some controllers can be cranky and understandably give negative impressions to the new user, but if you're unfortunate enough to run across one, don't let it dissuade you.. Try again with another controller and I'm confident you will have a pleasant experience.

We controllers love new pilots who have a desire to learn and get better. It's the ones that refuse to get better and view ATC as a burden that get under our skin sometimes!

First - thanks for being a controller! I’ve learned more from VATSIM flights in a few days than I have prior because I “have to” learn it. Before, I just took off, let auto ATC do it’s thing and had GPS auto pilot. 

Now, I’m reading SIDs, going “yeah, I can execute these departures” and get set up from there. It just brings a level of realism that I personally wanted. If you jump into KORD with 30 flights, and you have no idea what a departure is, it’s tough. However, take a smaller airport with 1 or 2 runways that has 1 plane parked and 1 coming in to land; and it’s fair to say the controller is happy to have someone to interact with too. 

14 hours ago, zihmer001 said:

Lastly, before doing anything for real - load up MSFS2020, find a busy airport, and park - tune in and listen to what people ask and say. It will give you a feel of the tempo and what gets asked/said.

don't forget to fire up your engine too or hook into a GSE - I did this back in FSX and drained my battery 😛

• Like 1

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports