Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

MSFS 2020 is the best thing to happen to flight simmers

Just now, ZLA Steve said:

Considering you’ve made many  generalizations in this thread as to what simmers are thinking, perhaps you would best be served if you took your own advice. 

Considering... I see, so you're the judge now and you know better than me what simmers are thinking, Ok. I suggest you add something substantial to the thread instead of making your generalizations as to what I'm thinking.

Not possible to sell off FS2020 Azure functionality.- Azure is a core technology used by companies across the planet.  It is not FS2020 specific.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Not sell it off but you can certainly license its use and the AI technology developed for the sim off for sure.  Heck they are going to do that anyways.

• Like 1

This place would be a lot less tedious if people would stop with the evangelizing about how this nascent, still-buggy platform has changed the world, and P3D/XP fans would stop wasting their time lurking and swooping in to push up their glasses and condescend about how it's ACTUALLY an eye candy generator for babies. 

That goes triple if you haven't even used the bloody software yourself.

It's a solid foundation, that should hopefully get better as Asobo patch the holes, and the 3PD community delivers some of the things people are waiting for.  Early days.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

It's a solid foundation, that should hopefully get better as Asobo patch the holes, and the 3PD community delivers some of the things people are waiting for.  Early days.

We'll see yet. Who's against? That was said at the very beginning. But I don't agree with the title of the thread and I don't like the bias of it.

Edited by Dirk98

There does seem a lot of irrational fear that MSFS will kill off XPlane etc etc .

It is unlikely as MS are targeting a totally different much more casual market. Even more so when it breaks on XBOX One.

It is even possible that people will get introduced to the hobby through MSFS and VFR flight in a Cessna and end up building a simpit and moving across to something like Xplane once they get tired of landing in a float 172 in Anchorage in a thunderstorm at night.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There does seem a lot of irrational fear that MSFS will kill off XPlane etc etc .

It is unlikely as MS are targeting a totally different much more casual market. Even more so when it breaks on XBOX One.

It is even possible that people will get introduced to the hobby through MSFS and VFR flight in a Cessna and end up building a simpit and moving across to something like Xplane once they get tired of landing in a float 172 in Anchorage in a thunderstorm at night.

I can't really wait till Asobo fixes what is broken first. So far for me it's the best flying game I've seen. But I don't agree with the simulation part, time will tell if Microsoft want to continue to fund Asobo till MSFS2020 becomes a decent flight simulation. 

X-Plane always seemed to have co-existed with FS before and it will continue to go through to the future.  I think there is an established market there and I think now that 3PD's have gotten stronger at developing for it; it will continue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

...serious flightsimming....

This is something that needs to be clearly defined, and I've yet to hear the definition.  I say this because oftentimes arguments or divergent points of view can be more about not agreeing on what the basic terms are.  

What constitutes "serious flightsimming"?  I know right now, in MSFS, I am able to...

1.  Create and customize an IFR flight plan.

2.  Utilize built-in pushback services for entertainment, which looks better than having no ground crew.

3.  Fly the Daher TBM 930 on that flight plan, using the G3000 FMS.  I don't now if it's accurate as such at all, but it works as it appears it should.  I can even enter an instrument flight plan in the MFD and it ports to ATC automatically.

4.  I can follow ATC's routing and most of the time, it's as reasonable as FSX/P3D's with some buggy parts for sure, but again, it's similar to the base product in FSX/P3D.

5.  I can do an ILS approach and landing or visual.   

Clearly this is mostly what I've done all along w/ the other platforms, just added more airware and other add-ons to help fix the shortcomings of FSX/P3D, as probably most of us have done over the years.  I use a yoke and throttle quadrant, but no pedals.

So again, what constitutes "serious flightsimming"?  I take using the flight simulator seriously, but that is because I take many things seriously including how I entertain myself.  And learning and entertainment are hardly mutually exclusive.  Just curious so much back and forth, and no consensus on what it even means, unless I missed thread.  Maybe it's in Hangar Chat?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Also I don't agree with the notion that MSFS2020 release to public in 2020 simulation wise should be compared to what FS2000 or P3D looked and worked like at their time.

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

For now, I see a very nice Entertainment Title that offers the Joy of Flight... great!   C152, sure!

Are you kidding Bert?!  Hop in the TBM930, create an IFR plan IN the G3000, and fly that bad boy wherever right to a perfect ILS approach and landing.  I've done many of them and guess what? It's pretty much exactly as it is in P3D, only better!  Well, I'd rather have the Dash 8 but in a pinch the Daher is good enough to tie me over.

Yes of course there are bugs and shortcomings as a new release but for me they are FAR outweighed by a really exciting platform that works very well out of the box!  The visuals provide far more meaning than just asethetics IMO, or that popular 'eye-candy' label which for some implies a kind of trivialness when discussed by..."serious flight simmers".  Bah!  It's all part of the simulation.  Plus, I think more than a few here just haven't quite seen what it can do.  It was not until today, 25h later, that I discovered I could input a customized IFR plan within the MFD and that would communicate w/ ATC.  Quite cool.  I can easily imagine flying PMDG/Majestic/EMB Phenom in MSFS and I hope they come!

Edited by Noel
  • Like 5

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

IMO, you won't see any major development for P3D / XP...these guys dropped the ball...and the gap is too wide to catch up to MSFS. They rolled over years ago with stale development / progress, and letting addons fill in the gaps.

The new users are going to MSFS, the 3P devs are going to MSFS...all roads are leading to MSFS.

Will P3D and XP still be around, sure...FSX is still around...for the small loyal user base that supports them. However....

• I doubt you will see an XP12 with any major advances within the next 2 years. And even then, it most likely will not generate new sales to warrant the investment.
  • I doubt P3D can justify offering another "for pay" upgrade and expand its user base.

MSFS is positioned to be the sim of the future...the marketplace...the growing community making addons...etc.

The business case for X-Plane and P3D is not good.  The userbase for both are shrinking and unless sales of X-Plane and P3D can justify future development expenses, it’s very possible that both may see very reduced development in the future.  I see a lot of 3rd parties are already shifting to MSFS and I think I even read some of them have plans to stop further releases for X-Plane and P3D.

I like to compare MSFS to the IPhone release in 2007.  When the IPhone was released in 2007, it shook up the mobile phone industry.  For some phone models like the Blackberry, the writing was on the wall.  I think there is a strong possibility that X-Plane and P3D may go the way of Blackberry.  The technological gap is too big and X-Plane and P3D are stuck on an engine from the last decade.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

18 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The business case for X-Plane and P3D is not good.  The userbase for both are shrinking and unless sales of X-Plane and P3D can justify future development expenses, it’s very possible that both may see very reduced development in the future.  I see a lot of 3rd parties are already shifting to MSFS and I think I even read some of them have plans to stop further releases for X-Plane and P3D.

I like to compare MSFS to the IPhone release in 2007.  When the IPhone was released in 2007, it shook up the mobile phone industry.  For some phone models like the Blackberry, the writing was on the wall.  I think there is a strong possibility that X-Plane and P3D may go the way of Blackberry.  The technological gap is too big and X-Plane and P3D are stuck on an engine from the last decade.

I hope MS won't let Asobo down. However try to fly FSL A320 in P3Dv5 now and ponder over technological gap with MSFS 2020...Simulation wise.

Edited by Dirk98

7 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

With all this said xplane at night and night at airports is stunning - dream come true if MSFS 2020 could pull that off but doubt it - my only gripe with 2020

Rich Sennett

5 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

With all this said xplane at night and night at airports is stunning - dream come true if MSFS 2020 could pull that off but doubt it - my only gripe with 2020

Strangely, but I doubt about many so many other things in 2020 rather than that. Just curious, why do you think that it is so hard to pull off? 

Edited by Dirk98