Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Performance has improved....

I have been flying every day for the past two weeks and last night the performance of the sim was really improved. My FPS was over 34 with LOD at 200. Everything was just silky smooth and even moving around the UI was snappier. I am thinking there were backend updates yesterday, possibly as part of today’s upcoming update. 

Anyone else seeing this?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

My guess is it's related to server load.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I Agree, the last week has definatly been a big improvement over the start we had.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

One thing of interest I noted yesterday was that the Empire State Building in New York, which has been represented for weeks by an obvious hand-crafted model, (even when photogrammetry is on) was abruptly replaced with a photogrammetry version, telling me that very likely some sort of stealth update had occurred in the data, likely in preparation for todays Japan release.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

I have been flying every day for the past two weeks and last night the performance of the sim was really improved.

Hi Rob, if you haven't done this already try setting Low Latency Mode to Ultra in NV Control Panel.   I picked up about 12% increase in GPU performance by doing that.  It may not work as well if you don't vsync to 30Hz, but as I say it did for me.  

Cheers

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Hi Rob, if you haven't done this already try setting Low Latency Mode to Ultra in NV Control Panel.   I picked up about 12% increase in GPU performance by doing that.  It may not work as well if you don't vsync to 30Hz, but as I say it did for me.  

Cheers

Is this a universal setting or game specific? I wouldn't want to change anything that interfered with Fallout 4, GTA V or Elite Dangerous for example.

12 minutes ago, Noel said:

Cheers

With low latency on Ultra you are asking the cpu to build the frame data to be sent to the gpu at the very last moment, if the cpu doesn't manage to build it on time you get a huge stutter. 

With low latency disabled the cpu can build several frames in advance, think of it as a reserve. This way when one of the frames takes longer to build it can push the extra ones and catch up later when the cpu load goes down. The problem with this "reserve" is that the frames being sent are old which leads to input latency.

Less pre-rendered frames is always better for responsiveness as long as the CPU can keep up with the game, some games are heavier on the CPU than others and On might not suffice. Generally open word games with lots of npcs and/or constant asset streaming are heavier on the CPU. Therefore you don’t want ultra low latency mode enabled. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

Is this a universal setting or game specific? I wouldn't want to change anything that interfered with Fallout 4, GTA V or Elite Dangerous for example.

I got lots of explanation as to what it is, it was formerly labled as pre-rendered frames, the hardware forum.  All I know is that I did a what I thought was legitimate test to prove to myself it does indeed give me about 12% performance bump.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

Cheers

I did that change. Seems to help! 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Low Latency modes have the most impact when your game is GPU bound, and framerates are between 60 and 100 FPS, enabling you to get the responsiveness of high-framerate gaming without having to decrease graphical fidelity.

In other words, if a game is CPU bound (limited by your CPU resources instead of your GPU) or you have very high or very low FPS, this won’t help too much. If you have input latency in games—mouse lag, for example—that’s often simply a result of low frames per second (FPS) and this setting won’t solve that problem.

Warning: This will potentially reduce your FPS. This mode is off by default, which NVIDIA says leads to “maximum render throughput.” For most people most of the time, that’s a better option. But, for competitive multiplayer gaming, you’ll want all the tiny edges you can get—and that includes lower latency. 

I'm wondering if something else has changed, maybe a Microsoft update or Nvidia driver update.

I recently went back to P3Dv5 and the PMDG 737 NGXu and depending on weather at UK2000 London Gatwick I was typically getting 25 to 30 FPS, now for some unknown reason I'm getting between 40 and 50 FPS without making any setting changes.

Glen

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Low Latency modes have the most impact when your game is GPU bound, and framerates are between 60 and 100 FPS,

Warning: This will potentially reduce your FPS.  

MSFS is absolutely, already pre DX12, GPU bound, but that is in part because of my configuration.  My 9900K snoozes the entire time I'm flying, whereas I need to be mindful of the RTX2070S as there are spots it chokes in though I'm pretty good now at predicting when that might happen so use settings to help accomodate that.  

If you're happy w/ the relaxed configuration that comes with vsync to 30Hz, you will notice that 12% increase in GPU processing resources.  If low-latency is high frame rate is what you're after than this may be iffy for you.   Some day down the road a few more iterations we will be able to vsync to 60Hz and ALWAYS be able to maintain that critical 60 fps.  So right now, w/ the state of current hardware and current simulators, you can't beat vsync to 30Hz for ultra smooth performance constantly, provided your GPU doesn't hit a wall.  And w/ LLM mode at Ultra the wall went up by about 12%.

Rob, do you have a screen that can do 30Hz?

Noel

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

MSFS is absolutely, already pre DX12, GPU bound, but that is in part because of my configuration.  My 9900K snoozes the entire time I'm flying, whereas I need to be mindful of the RTX2070S as there are spots it chokes in though I'm pretty good now at predicting when that might happen so use settings to help accomodate that.  

If you're happy w/ the relaxed configuration that comes with vsync to 30Hz, you will notice that 12% increase in GPU processing resources.  If low-latency is high frame rate is what you're after than this may be iffy for you.   Some day down the road a few more iterations we will be able to vsync to 60Hz and ALWAYS be able to maintain that critical 60 fps.  So right now, w/ the state of current hardware and current simulators, you can't beat vsync to 30Hz for ultra smooth performance constantly, provided your GPU doesn't hit a wall.  And w/ LLM mode at Ultra the wall went up by about 12%.

Rob, do you have a screen that can do 30Hz?

Hey Noel, I am running G-Sync (not sure it can go down to 30Hz) but was fully GPU bound so that setting you suggested definitely increased my FPS. Right now it runs so smooth I don't even think I need a system upgrade. At least not where I am flying atm. 

51 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Hey Noel, I am running G-Sync (not sure it can go down to 30Hz) but was fully GPU bound so that setting you suggested definitely increased my FPS. Right now it runs so smooth I don't even think I need a system upgrade. At least not where I am flying atm. 

The 30 is only because A, I'm using vsync and have a screen capable of running at 30Hz, and B, because a smooth and steady 30fps is sufficient for me, and C, because I don't have problems in a flight sim using a 30Hz refresh rate.  Our friend lanrivaldosmith I believe suffers when he views a 30Hz screen, and believes latency matters in a flight sim, or not I'm not sure.  You've got the better screen w/ Gsync possible as far as I understand it.  The one caveat is that 30 becomes a limiter, and of course it is easier to maintain 30, than 35, 40, etc.  So....I'm not surprised you're thinking you can keep your current hardware and be happy.  For the magnitude of what is being processed in front of your eyes the efficiency of the graphic engine in MSFS is to me quite frankly astounding.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

I was running at 60fps in the C172 Skyhawk G1000 @ 3440x1440p . Something I never thought was possible before.  Asobo did a pretty darn good job of optimizing the sim over the past few weeks. I also tried the A320Neo and I was in the 50fps range as well. Not too shabby.  All we need now is a good 3rd party aircraft.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.