Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Running the sim in HDR?

On 10/1/2020 at 11:43 PM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I am just HDR 400 which might be the difference. Is yours HDR10 by any chance ?

Given that HDR10 is designed originally for TV screens half a room away, I have often wondered if there are issues with 1000 nit HDR10 on a screen that is right in your face 😄

Yep, HDR 10. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Is this right for a QN90A FALD TV. Capable of 1500 nits

20230114-210131.jpg

HDR is on in Windows and rez is 4K.

Image is a phone photo of the screen but quite representative.

If HDR is off I just get complete highlight blowout.

Edited by Gabe777

I does not look right.

Have you run the Windows HDR calibration application to set up the proper HDR color profile for your monitor? You may be using the default one, which was pretty close to being correct for my potato pseudo-HDR 310 nit monitor, so I'm pretty confident that it is not correct for your good one.

Press Windows key - type "HDR Cal"  and you should see a listing for the "Windows HDR Calibration App". It will take you to the Play Store where you can install it (free).

The 1st couple of screens are very easy to use. The "Saturation" screen (last one) is a little tricky on my system as the sample pictures in the app don't show big changes and it is hard to tell what changes you made. I'm still playing with different settings to get it the way I like. I had it there once, but forgot where I had the slider. Just reinstalled Windows, so I'm still in trial and error mode.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I can't seem to track down the HDR Calibration app.  I've found the link to it but regardless of what browser I'm using I'm unable to download it.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR?hl=en-us&gl=us&rtc=1

Clicking the "Get In Store App" button does nothing in Chrome.  Have tried in Edge and FireFox but just get a link error.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by MNORM

10 minutes ago, MNORM said:

I can't seem to track down the HDR Calibration app.  I've found the link to it but regardless of what browser I'm using I'm unable to download it.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR?hl=en-us&gl=us&rtc=1

Clicking the "Get In Store App" button does nothing in Chrome.  Have tried in Edge and FireFox but just get a link error.

Any help appreciated.

Win10? Hdr calibration tool works only in Win11.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

1 hour ago, xenonsk said:

Win10? Hdr calibration tool works only in Win11.

I think you're misinterpreting my issue.  I have Windows 11.

The problem isn't getting the app to work...it's getting access to it to begin with.  I can't seem to find a working link to download the app...not even the microsoft store link works.

Edited by MNORM

Ok, sorry i thought, that you have problem with install. Why don't you use the Microsoft store app? I downloaded it from there with no problem. 

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

55 minutes ago, xenonsk said:

Ok, sorry i thought, that you have problem with install. Why don't you use the Microsoft store app? I downloaded it from there with no problem. 

Same thing happens when I try that.  I can't even download the Microsoft Store app, lol.  No clue what's going on.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:51 PM, flyinion said:

Just curious if what I see is a limitation of my new HDR400 capable monitor or the the way the sim itself handles HDR since I noticed at times it seems overly bright even without HDR.

I have an HDR600 monitor which works a treat. However, you need to run the Microsoft HDR calibration tool as others have said.  The tool tunes Windows HDR output to the maximum brightness your HDR400 monitor can produce.  Worked great with my HDR 600 monitor. Much better than SDR.

I downloaded from the MS store.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

17 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I have an HDR600 monitor which works a treat. However, you need to run the Microsoft HDR calibration tool as others have said.  The tool tunes Windows HDR output to the maximum brightness your HDR400 monitor can produce.  Worked great with my HDR 600 monitor. Much better than SDR.

I downloaded from the MS store.

So weird that I simply don't have access.  I wonder if I need to de a Windows Update because I don't even have the Store App.

5 minutes ago, MNORM said:

So weird that I simply don't have access.  I wonder if I need to de a Windows Update because I don't even have the Store App.

Is this any good for you?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

16 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Tried the very first step and got a pop up error message saying:

"We can't open this ms-store link"

Your device needs a new app to open this link

40 minutes ago, MNORM said:

Tried the very first step and got a pop up error message saying:

"We can't open this ms-store link"

Your device needs a new app to open this link

Tried all three options in the video...including the Windows Install.  Nothing changed.  So annoying.  

Appreciate your help though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MNORM said:

Tried all three options in the video...including the Windows Install.  Nothing changed.  So annoying.  

Appreciate your help though.

Just tried this method and I may have fixed the problem.  

4 minutes ago, MNORM said:

Just tried this method and I may have fixed the problem.  

This worked!

Edited by MNORM
  • Like 1