Sign in to follow this  
V1-Rotate

How to quickly import Google photogrammetry

That's interesting.  I wonder if the modders and scenery creators will be able to take advantage of this.  It could mean some nice scenery downloads for cities where there is poor Bing photogrammetry.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The tutorials of this youtuber, about MSFS, are very nice.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

9 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

That's interesting.  I wonder if the modders and scenery creators will be able to take advantage of this.  It could mean some nice scenery downloads for cities where there is poor Bing photogrammetry.

Surely it may help, but I'm afraid Google might rise copyright issues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, V1-Rotate said:

Yeah, it would be curious what the terms of use are for non-commercial use.  For sure, it's almost likely that commercial scenery modders can't use it.  But as for non-commercial use, I wonder what the terms are and what is allowed/disallowed from a non-commercial use of it.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

11 minutes ago, V1-Rotate said:

This comment has been made almost everyday since the first week of MSFS launch and the first 'how to import Google' information appeared - so far, nothing from Google.

If anything, it has given Google a shoulder-up (if it was needed) exposing how poor Bing mapping is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ArkRoyal said:

This comment has been made almost everyday since the first week of MSFS launch and the first 'how to import Google' information appeared - so far, nothing from Google.

If anything, it has given Google a shoulder-up (if it was needed) exposing how poor Bing mapping is.

Let's hope they just do that.

• Like 1

If only all that was even easier, it would be great to replace the non working manual cache tool on MSFS

10 minutes ago, bendead said:

If only all that was even easier, it would be great to replace the non working manual cache tool on MSFS

Perhaps in time

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

How does this method and its results compare to the more complex method using a different Chrome plugin, RenderDoc, and Blender?  I am planning to add the missing buildings and scenery objects at my local airport so they are present when on the ground.  Right now they look OK from the air.  Just flat globs of color when on the ground.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

As nice as the possibility is, I think the kind of coverage that would interest me is waaaaay too large in diskspace requirements. 

I just tried it with my own town, and it got quickly out of hand.

1 hour ago, Keto Ketchup said:

My problem is that Google photogrammetry isn't processed, so you also import baked-in shadows and cars.

Can't have it all my friend 😉

Great! Thanks for the video! Just tried to import my hometown and it looks quite good. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

6 hours ago, V1-Rotate said:

Can't have it all my friend 😉

We could if Microsoft would get off it's duff and start actually competing with Google and Apple Maps. Maybe seeing the flight simulator community using Google to improve the sim will motivate Microsoft to do just that. One can hope!

BTW, this isn't a knock against the brilliant fellow who wrote the software that imports the Google photogrammetry - that is golden.