Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Turbulence effects TBM930

I wonder if any real world pilots of similar planes might attest to both the amplitude and quality of the plane's moving thru the air.  I've been up several times in light aircraft in the real world and MSFS seems a more intense than my very limited experience.  There seems to almost never be clear smooth flight it's always bobbing and weaving, sometimes very low amplitude sometimes quite high.  P3D 4.5 w/ ASN4 most of the time was very sedate to absent by comparison.  Somewhere in the middle might be ideal.

Is there any way to dial back the turbulence intensity?

Cheers

Haha I should mention I'm often flying in...turbulent areas 🙄

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Agreed! I crash half the time because of turbulence when landing with live weather at Lukla, but if I switch to calm weather theres no problem. I don’t think real pilots are presented with quite the same challenge !

I actually had a very smooth 2 hour flight yesterday in the TBM.  I almost thought the sim had frozen for a while cruising at FL310.  I'm no RL pilot but I do get smooth air in the sim flying the TBM. 

49 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is there any way to dial back the turbulence intensity?

That would be an excellent choice and solve lots of problems.

Unfortunately ASOBO/MICROSOFT has/had programers/testers that are not familiar how severity of turbulence is reported/evaluated or unwilling to accept that their aircraft characteristics are very unrealistic. 

If people will pay attention at the wind direction/velocity, temperature/pressure changes will notice that even a 2 KTS wind velocity change will translate to a somehow moderate turbulence, very unrealistic.

On top of that even you delete any wind layer the airplane still behaves like flying in light turbulence, there is something automatically induced that is not how it works in reality at all.

In real life (as a real pilot) there are many days when I fly as an example from JFK to AMS and there is not a bump in the sky for the entire duration of the flight. Many times even on flights going West bound LAX to HKG smooth rides. They do have an issue that I hope it will be fixed, totally unrealistic and spoils all the adventure and efforts put in this software, which by the way has lots of potential.

Right now, outside visuals are almost on par with what we have in the airline industry simulators, a real pleasure to look outside the window and do visual approaches or takeoffs, aircraft flying characteristics are so far off that I don't really want to describe (small or big ones).

Let's hope that somehow they will listen and improve this primary issue otherwise, this should be called GlobalVisualSimulator 2020, if anybody cares for FlightSimulator (actually flying airplanes). 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

It's "extra" movements that Asobo added to make flying feel "less on rails".  It's 100% not how actual aircraft work, but I guess it was a good way to keep the interest of the YouTube and Twitch celebrities who they sent free copies of the game + flight sim peripherals to long enough to pump out a bunch of videos on launch day. 

If you try Robert Young's excellent Bonanza Turbo mod, he managed to turn all that stuff off, leaving only actual weather effects on the plane. 

A shame about every other aircraft in the simulator though.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

1 hour ago, killthespam said:

Let's hope that somehow they will listen and improve this primary issue otherwise, this should be called GlobalVisualSimulator 2020, if anybody cares for FlightSimulator (actually flying airplanes). 

One would assume something like this is pretty easy to give access to w/ a slider.  Oh we can fly the TBM just dandy overall, and if you happen to trigger the dolphin dance while in FLC mode it's a simple matter to just toggle the AP off then back on again, and then rehit FLC button and it calms things down quickly I think. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I just started flying the TBM 930 after countless hours in the G36 and the C208. I fly a lot around Colorado and the turbulence over the mountains here in the TBM is magnitudes worse than in the others. 

Is that realistic? I have no idea.

Alright. 

I absolutely agree.   

All I do is fly the 930, I just love it.   But the turbulence is whacky.     It has nothing to do with "porpising" (at least i don't think it does)  

I'm fine flying up to altitude.  It doesn't seem like AP has anything to do with it.    What I think is any kind of land mass underneath, mountains, canyons, cities, ANYTHING underneath leads to wild turbulence.   

If you get over water?    Youre smooth a silk.  No issues.    But if you're over land thats anything other than a desert or prairie, you're rocking.   

To me?  This seems like it might be a great bug!  It's trying to simulate the turbulence over land masses.   AWESOME!    

But...  When you're at FL300 and your getting rocked around by a few hills and buildings, thats not good.   

I'm sure they'll fix it.  

(Just to be clear, I'm doing a flight from Japan, over South Korea, into China and Beijing)

I got up to 30k and I was rocking around like a... i don't know...  a thing that rocks really bad.   I changed flight levels a number of times to no avail.    Its a very clear day.   No weather and hardly any clouds.  

I got over the ocean heading into mainland China?     Smoother than snot on a frozen doorknob.     Not a bump, not a rock, nothing. 

Now I'm back over land.  Still at FL300.   But I'm over land.  Not a mountain chain, but land...  and it's trying to shake my 930 apart.  

Edited by JughedJones

We want realism they screamed! Ok, but with a thousand points of influence on each aircraft you will have learn to fly like they do in the real World, and clear air turbulence can be a hitch! Whaaa, we don't want realism cos we keep crashing, let us go back to flying on rails! Ok, switch to the classic flight model then!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

IMO there are two facets to this question of turbulence modelling in MFS. 

- it can be wacky / overdone, in the way x-plane's turbulence can also feel when set through the new weather menu that regulates wind shear and intensity through a period of time;

- it is clearly lacking when entering / approaching convective clouds.

I look fwd for the effects exhibited in that episode, pre release, where they showed even the flow around clounds.

Yes it's present near hills / mountains and over towns, and that's great, but overall MFS's weather still needs a lot of attention from ASOBO...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

14 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

We want realism they screamed! Ok, but with a thousand points of influence on each aircraft you will have learn to fly like they do in the real World, and clear air turbulence can be a hitch! Whaaa, we don't want realism cos we keep crashing, let us go back to flying on rails! Ok, switch to the classic flight model then!

I dont think that's what we were saying.  

Granted, I don't know what's its like to fly a 930 at FL300.   But I can't imagine its trying to kick the word not allowed out of you to the point of over G-ing the aircraft, consistently, over land and buildings.   

But go completely smooth and luxurious over water...  in a snap. 

Maybe?  I don't know.   You tell me Sierra Hotel.  

35 minutes ago, JughedJones said:

But I can't imagine its trying to kick the word not allowed out of you to the point of over G-ing the aircraft, consistently, over land and buildings.

Perhaps @KenG could chime in on this one.

But without more information it isn't possible to comment on what you are experiencing.  I think part of the problem is that the P3D crowd are so used to flying on rails - to the point where it now has become inconvenient to have turbulence at inconvenient phases of their flights (landing) and a few people are having a moan about it.

I have been flying the TBM on a round the world tour - through varied terrain and weather -  and I think the turbulence I have experienced is completely plausible and within the bounds of realism.  In fact , it has made the whole experience tenfold more interesting than P3D - or Xplane.  I have not yet come across turbulence which has been 'over-amplified', and when I have hit really rough patches, there were glaringly obvious reasons for it.   Again, many people think the turbulence is 'unrealistic' based on their idea of what turbulence should feel like.  Most people's reference point for turbulence is what they experience in a Boeing or Airbus on a commercial flight.    Not really a valid reference point at all - turbulence is sometimes alot more exaggerated, (generally) in light aircraft for obvious reasons

As for turbulence around buildings...the turbulence generated by those buildings  on a windy day can be pretty rough, depending on your proximity to the buildings, the wind speed at the time etc.  There are an infinite number of variables at play here - but I can tell you that I have not found MFS turbulence to be over-exaggerated at all - if you really think about your immediate surroundings and current atmospheric conditions.

Much like the threads we see quite often when people complain about 'the flight model' based on their own idea of what an aircraft should fly like on their particular setup, the turbulence issue is much the same.    Having the right controller setup for this type of unexpected event is also key.  Poorly calibrated or cheap controllers will render any turbulence experience a pain in the butt - I can tell you that much

Invest is solid controllers, and your overall experience will be much better in smooth or rough skies.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Perhaps @KenG could chime in on this one.

But without more information it isn't possible to comment on what you are experiencing.  I think part of the problem is that the P3D crowd are so used to flying on rails - to the point where it now has become inconvenient to have turbulence at inconvenient phases of their flights (landing) and a few people are having a moan about it.

I have been flying the TBM on a round the world tour - through varied terrain and weather -  and I think the turbulence I have experienced is completely plausible and within the bounds of realism.  In fact , it has made the whole experience tenfold more interesting than P3D - or Xplane.  I have not yet come across turbulence which has been 'over-amplified', and when I have hit really rough patches, there were glaringly obvious reasons for it.   Again, many people think the turbulence is 'unrealistic' based on their idea of what turbulence should feel like.  Most people's reference point for turbulence is what they experience in a Boeing or Airbus on a commercial flight.    Not really a valid reference point at all - turbulence is sometimes alot more exaggerated, (generally) in light aircraft for obvious reasons

As for turbulence around buildings...the turbulence generated by those buildings  on a windy day can be pretty rough, depending on your proximity to the buildings, the wind speed at the time etc.  There are an infinite number of variables at play here - but I can tell you that I have not found MFS turbulence to be over-exaggerated at all - if you really think about your immediate surroundings and current atmospheric conditions.

Much like the threads we see quite often when people complain about 'the flight model' based on their own idea of what an aircraft should fly like on their particular setup, the turbulence issue is much the same.    Having the right controller setup for this type of unexpected event is also key.  Poorly calibrated or cheap controllers will render any turbulence experience a pain in the butt - I can tell you that much

Invest is solid controllers, and your overall experience will be much better in smooth or rough skies.

Erich,

Youre absolutely right, I believe I prefaced my statement with the acknowledgement that I have no idea what its supposed to feel like!  

I just *assume* that a 4 million dollar plane shouldn't be trying to kill you at 30 thousand feet in clear (ish) weather. 

But of course, I dont know!  It is certainly more likely that I should be operating the aircraft differently.   

Id love someone that knows what's up to tell me, because I'm flying around the world in this thing too!     I left from Portland Oregon, went to Chicago, then went north into Canada, to Alaska, to Japan, and im just now flying over China into Beijing.    

I'm having a blast!

(If you're wondering, for whatever reason, someone offered to pay me an extravagant amount of money to deliver 284 lbs of "food crates" from Kyoto to Manchester.)

I'm convinced I'm on a drug run and feeling pretty cool about it.

Edited by JughedJones
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JughedJones said:

just *assume* that a 4 million dollar plane shouldn't be trying to kill you at 30 thousand feet in clear (ish) weather.

Clear air turbulence is a real thing and *can* be pretty rough.     So yeah, your trusted TBM *could* have been trying to kill you, through no fault of its own 🙂

Edited by ErichB
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Hey Erich, and sorry for the double post everyone. 

Just wanted to give an update. 

I think I answered my own dumb question! 

As I mentioned, I've been flying over pretty mountainous and crazy terrain this whole time.   Oregon, Canada, Alaska, and even into Japan...   

Now that I'm over relatively flat Chinese land, I'm not experiencing the turbulence i have been.     

I think i may be a bit of a dummy!  

Clear skies, Erich! 

• Like 2