Sign in to follow this  
alberto2000

FS Map Tool - A new mobile map app utility for MS FS 2020

On 10/25/2020 at 5:11 PM, alberto2000 said:

Hi @109Sqn that sounds again like some sort of networking / router/ firewall settings issue. I'm afraid I can't help everyone on that since it's always highly specific to your PC network and setup. Are you sure both PC and mobile device are on the same local network? Can they reach each other (try pinging the mobile device from the PC)? Make sure only one instance of the server application is running on the PC and only one client at a time is open and making requests. It should work out of the box really. Let me know how it goes. Best

I hadn't forgotten about replying - I've only just got the sim to start after MS Store problems. Getting a few CTDs and not tracked down the reason yet. I had in the meantime managed to ping devices. At the moment though, although I can now get the app to work, I'm having to disable the firewall which is obviously a bad idea, so there's an issue with it being allowed through which I'm investigating. Progress though!

As for the app itself, I like it And it's so sensitive in the sense that it even registers the movement and direction during pushback! I'd say there is about a 3 second lag, maybe a fraction less. Is that normal or might that just be a wireless lag? With nothing running, I get just short of my full 38Mbs bandwidth, but with it running that drops to just over 14 so there's obviously less available for the Wi-Fi signal and the router is in a different room on a different floor, so it could be just that.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

6 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I hadn't forgotten about replying - I've only just got the sim to start after MS Store problems. Getting a few CTDs and not tracked down the reason yet. I had in the meantime managed to ping devices. At the moment though, although I can now get the app to work, I'm having to disable the firewall which is obviously a bad idea, so there's an issue with it being allowed through which I'm investigating. Progress though!

As for the app itself, I like it And it's so sensitive in the sense that it even registers the movement and direction during pushback! I'd say there is about a 3 second lag, maybe a fraction less. Is that normal or might that just be a wireless lag? With nothing running, I get just short of my full 38Mbs bandwidth, but with it running that drops to just over 14 so there's obviously less available for the Wi-Fi signal and the router is in a different room on a different floor, so it could be just that.

You should be able to set the app as a "exception" rule in your firewall settings, so you don't have to turn it off completely. I'm no Windows guy myself at all so I don't know the specifics but you should be able to look it up. Others have done it before 🙂

8 hours ago, alberto2000 said:

You should be able to set the app as a "exception" rule in your firewall settings, so you don't have to turn it off completely. I'm no Windows guy myself at all so I don't know the specifics but you should be able to look it up. Others have done it before 🙂

I know I should and in fact I have, but for some reason it still isn't getting through.🤯

I use Windows Defender Firewall. It's the only firewall I've used on this PC so I know there are no leftover settings from an older, uninstalled, firewall (a problem I've spotted on other PCs in the past). My settings:

Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Defender Firewall>Allowed Apps>FS Map Tool Server>Private>Allowed

So if anyone else has any suggestions...

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

8 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Defender Firewall>Allowed Apps>FS Map Tool Server>Private>Allowed

Looks like I've worked out the issue. There are two references to FS Map Tool in the firewall's settings: "FS Map Tool Server" and "fs map tool server.exe". Once both of those are permitted, all is well.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2020 at 3:55 PM, alberto2000 said:

Hi @ludekbrno and thanks for the suggesion. That sounds totally doable and I've thought about it. It would be easy to implement. User could add drop pins on the map e.g. by long-tapping a point on the map. But I'm currently more interested in reading the flight plan data and inserting the waypoints into the map although that seems more complicated. But I have taken note of your idea!

How about a flight plan option like in flight events?  In flight events, you get a red line that shows your scheduled flight plan path on your moving map.  Does not clutter the screen but allows you to see your route.

• Like 1

Hi @knich that's exactly what I'm thinking of. I am currently researching how to read flight plan data from the players aircraft so I can implement that. Also I will add more HUD information such as flaps and gear position and maybe a small artificial horizon.

• Like 2

@alberto2000 Maybe, instead of gear position and artificial horizon, do you think you could implement more useful info like arrival info (metar, frequencies etc...)

I think those infos are not in sim so you would have to gather them from another source.

That's just an idea, i really like your app 😉

• Like 1

Hi @Noooch thanks for your suggestion. While I think that would benefit lots of users I don't think I'll be able to implement such feature in the upcoming versions. But I've taken note of and will keep it in mind. Right now I'm focusing on integrating flight plan data (waypoints) and maybe the HUD extension.

• Like 1

Just to let you guys know I've just released FS Map Tool v1.1.0 with new features:
  • WAYPOINTS (add by long-tapping, move by dragging, delete by tapping and pressing X)
  • Lock map orientation to either North or Airplane Heading
  • Other fixes and improvements
For more info visit www.fsmaptool.com

Happy flying!
  • Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, alberto2000 said:
Just to let you guys know I've just released FS Map Tool v1.1.0 with new features:
  • WAYPOINTS (add by long-tapping, move by dragging, delete by tapping and pressing X)
  • Lock map orientation to either North or Airplane Heading
  • Other fixes and improvements
For more info visit www.fsmaptool.com

Happy flying!

Thanks for this Alberto, I am really liking the app. 👍

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Hi,

Is it possible to run on ios 9.3.5 ?

I tried to purchase through the App Store but without success.

Thank you

On 10/30/2020 at 2:56 PM, alberto2000 said:

Hi @Noooch thanks for your suggestion. While I think that would benefit lots of users I don't think I'll be able to implement such feature in the upcoming versions. But I've taken note of and will keep it in mind. Right now I'm focusing on integrating flight plan data (waypoints) and maybe the HUD extension.

This is great.  Hopefully they will be presented as an option to click on or off. The beauty of your map is it's simplicity and uncluttered look.  But I like the option to toggle on or off various features.

Here are a couple of screenshots with speed not showing.  I am using ipad.  

Hmm...for some reason I can't find how to upload photo?

@alberto2000 I purchased FS Map Tool on first day

Now when i launch it from my PC, it asks me to go the website to download the new version.

So I uninstalled it from my Android phone and installed it again from Google Play, all went well.

But I also uninstalled it from my PC and when I go to the Google Play from my PC it says it is already installed on my phone.

What should I do?

Thanks

Edited by Noooch