Sign in to follow this  
Olivier73

FPS on XPLANE

And even so, they have managed to make the best civil flight SIMULATOR to date, yes, it does not have giraffes, a shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greazer said:

If Windows do this, if Linux do that

If android, macOS, ios, linux or any other POSIX system, develop.

If windows then [crash.]

The more pieces, the more complexity and chance things will break.

The other problem with windows is the users.

also, bringing you back on topic

embed.php?i=1806226-AR-WINLINUX713&sha=3

and keep it simpler

IMHO, the case for dumping windows is strongest.

Anecdotally, people like you apparently use windows. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

6 hours ago, Greazer said:

XP is an very old engine by now and developers are still trying to support too many operating systems and drivers and hardware setups. If Windows do this, if Linux do that, if AMD driver xxx.yyy.zzz do this hack etc. It's a dog's breakfast of code hacking.  So that is why when they try to fix something like jagged shadows it may half work for one guy but for these other 5 guys it totally breaks other stuff.  One step forward, 5 steps back.  The solution is they must re-engineer the engine, ditch Mac, ditch Linux, and keep it simpler. The more pieces, the more complexity and chance things will break.  And they do.

Sorry mods, this can't go on.

One thing to express opinion, this has nothing to do with opinion, this guy is by purpose spreading a 100% false info and trying to sabotage help for other users, even if the user himself found the culprit already.

So obvious, yet keep going, and he is still here hurting other users chances to solve there problems.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Upvote 7

55 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

Sorry mods, this can't go on.

One thing to express opinion, this has nothing to do with opinion, this guy is by purpose spreading a 100% false info and trying to sabotage help for other users, even if the user himself found the culprit already.

So obvious, yet keep going, and he is still here hurting other users chances to solve there problems.

I totally agree with this. It's getting ridiculous now, every genuine technical post in this forum is trolled incessantly by this guy. It becomes impossible for the OP to sort out the many genuine replies from the trolling and the replies to the trolling. I don't particulalrly like MSFS for a number of reasons, but I don't go there everyday and express my opinions on it let alone spread false information. Time for the moderators to step up to the plate, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

This is the 3rd time he's posted something that tells me he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about, and for some reason, wants to appear knowledgeable.  

Agreed on restricting him from viewing the X-Plane forums @tonywob

• Upvote 4

From Avsim rules and policies:

"Behavior and Your Actions: AVSIM’s goal is to provide an educational and entertainment resource for people with similar interests and a community that is fun to be part of by users from around the world. Your acts and words on AVSIM will not, in any way, infringe upon others enjoyment of the AVSIM site. [...] This clause also includes and refers to any material or language that AVSIM Staff consider to be inflammatory and intended to do no more than elicit controversy and division."

Maybe mods should consider if the pathetic behaviour of this troll contravenes that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

48 minutes ago, Murmur said:

entertainment

Greazer is great entertainment. I really enjoy thinking about and explaining all the ways he is wrong.

duty_calls.png

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

54 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Agreed on restricting him from viewing the X-Plane forums @tonywob

I've sent him a friendly 1st warning to stop this behaviour. Negative opinions are fine and shouldn't be censored, but trolling or deliberately derailing a thread is not acceptable.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, nikit said:

And even so, they have managed to make the best civil flight SIMULATOR to date, yes, it does not have giraffes, a shame.

Dont have wild Giraffes in australia. though kangaross hopping over the 6ft boundary fence and bouncing across teh runway can be a problem

• Like 1

Ok Guys,

Now on FF A320 I got 45-50 FPS inside 3D cockpit. Daytime (not too much clouds however but complex airport with moving vehicles).

Settings are:

Visual effects : 1 notch from match -> HDR (not HDR+SS0) -> this last notch just bottlenecks it. The FPS then are still acceptable around 35 but panning around seems much more stuttering (not FPS related I think, must be something else).

Texture Quality : maximum

AA : 1 notch from max -> 4xSSAA+FXAA (not 8x) -> this last setting is possible, it costs about 5 FPS but I prefer to keep them. I suppose I could get in weathers and sceneries that will eat of some more FPS's and don't want it to become noticeable.

World objects: Medium (in the middle). One notch up eats 10 FPS (so, down to 35-40) and all the way up eats another 10 to 15 FPS (so, down to 20-25). 

Refelction : Off

Draw Parked Aircraft : Yes

Draw shadows on scenery : No

AI aircraft set to : 1

Running on VULKAN rendering.

I didn't change much on my PC setup. I only found out that (in overclocking world) the AVX offset parameter (in BIOS) usually requires it to set it to -2 or -3 (as AVX instructions are very intense for the CPU, since they are rare in games people don't mind to lose 200 to 300 Mhz), but I noticed on torture tests (with AVX disabled) and in the SIM that my CPU lowers to 4700 or 4800 whereas the multipliers are set to 50 (5000Mhz) for all 8 cores. XPlane does noet use AVX either. So I put that setting in the BIOS to AUTO (AVX offset). now my cores run steady on 5000MHz. 

Frame time is now 0.02 (CPU: 0,02 and GPU 0,01 -> so still CPU bottlenecked).

I only change to Cesna and leave all else the same the FPS = 85 FPS.

I can only dream this FPS for my A320 FF 😞 It feels so realistic on 85 FPS woaw

Cheers

Well, you just discovered that it takes CPU power to calculate complex aircraft systems. Congratulations on your discovery 😆

16 hours ago, Greazer said:

XP is an very old engine by now and developers are still trying to support too many operating systems and drivers and hardware setups. If Windows do this, if Linux do that, if AMD driver xxx.yyy.zzz do this hack etc. It's a dog's breakfast of code hacking.  So that is why when they try to fix something like jagged shadows it may half work for one guy but for these other 5 guys it totally breaks other stuff.  One step forward, 5 steps back.  The solution is they must re-engineer the engine, ditch Mac, ditch Linux, and keep it simpler. The more pieces, the more complexity and chance things will break.  And they do.

For all others reporting this post I don't know what Greazer has said in the past but in this case, I believe he is right, except the part "ditch Mac and Linux". It just takes some know-how to look into the XP11 code and realize they are really carrying a lot of technical debt and legacy code. It is amazing the code is yet running really well despite of all of this.

Vulkan is a good move in this direction, simplifying the spaghetti code Greazer is referring to, because the API is simpler and more ubiquitous among systems and video cards (a lot less custom manufacturer extensions for example).

For those doubting 1 step forward, 5 steps back, some of my customer are having a specific graphics issue with XP11.50 in OGL mode they don't have with XP11.41 in OGL mode, and there is nothing special in our rendering code explaining this for now.

• Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

@RXPWe all know that current x-plane's rendering engine stare is legacy features on a modern api.

But we also know that laminar's development is already beyond those legacy features to be replaced with modern ones, so frankly not worthe discussing at this point, and what greazer does is constantly hijacking threads even when it has little to do with x-plane's legacy features; in this case this a flight factor thing.

Last thing, i would not say breaking anyhing in OGL at this point is a step backward although they do want to be stable as long as we are talking 11.x

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RXP said:

I don't know what Greazer has said in the past

Hi Jean-Luc,

I also do not think Greazer´s posts are worth reporting. He is well known over at the .org as well as being the grumpy guy (kinda like those old guys on the muppet show) who never has anything nice to say about X-Plane and rants and spews forth incoherent garbage (but is somehow obsessed with it nonetheless). Most of us get a good kick out his posts... he is somewhat to X-Plane what mSparks was to MSFS before the release 😉

Yes, X-Plane carries a lot of legacy forward - but dumping it would mean to dump all the thousands of addons, plugins and scenery it carries with it. It MAY be worth it, but it would cause a huge rift. Just look at the move to Vulkan which required a lot of people to let go of their age-old plugins which went with a lot of gnashing of teeth. Some even refuse to update (its voluntary at X-Plane!) because of that.

In fact one of the longest running worries that 3rd party devs held against X-Plane was that it´s constant shifting of flight model and other framework made it hard to develop for it. You can´t be both stable and boldly moving ahead.

Now MSFS also carries a lot (too much?) legacy code I have heard - but not enough to make old stuff compatible and it therefore needs to rebuild its 3rd party ecosystem. Which seems possible because of the lure of its huge player base. Yet it already cost them dearly if you look at player numbers, a lot of the "serious" flight simulator users went back to their "old but ugly" simulators 😉

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Janov said:

somewhat to X-Plane what mSparks was to MSFS before the release 😉

I take a little bit of offense to that.

The MSFS guys only got angry with me for saying things like without VR and helicopters I wouldn't be interested, that the default aircraft wouldn't have every button working,  that it was made by MS for MS windows and therefore it would crash a lot, and without question it wouldn't end X-Plane

I mean, c'mon, its even an aviation meme

airplane.png

That's not even remotely similar.

I level criticism where I think its due, XP has had a lot from me over the years, quite a lot of it significantly more brutal than anything I ever said about MSFS. Difference now is xplane finally has 60fps+ in VR in a tubeliner with volumetric clouds.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer