Sign in to follow this  
aleex

No rain on windshield with displayport connection

Looks like those of us using displayport screen connection are having issues to see rain drops on the windshield (which are almost lacking).

Well, someone on the forums has discovered that using a HDMI connection, the effect comes back. 

In case any of you have the same issue, worth a try. And in case it works, please, submit a report to zendesk. 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cant-get-rain-to-show-up/285049/13

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rain-as-advertised/307925

Edited by aleex

I was wondering what happened to the raindrops.  I would never have thought DisplayPort vs HDMI would make a difference and have no idea why that would be.  Crazy.

Edited by SnowGoAK

2 minutes ago, SnowGoAK said:

I would never have thought DisplayPort vs HDMI would make a difference and have no idea why that would be.  Crazy.

I was as surprised as you. I don't understand the relation. Just hope to get is fixed soon, I don't use the HDMI for Hz reasons.

I am using HDMI and have no rain. 😞

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Surprising if true.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Spooky! Like Halloween. 

I'm sure this is known by all, but raindrops only show up with windshield effects set to at least medium.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I'm sorry, I don't believe this at all.

Lots of people on the official forums have lots of "opinions" about how or why things are that just don't make any sense.

One of the same people in this rain thread insisted that creating a Windows Defender exception for the simulator forum would cut loading times by 1/2.  I spent a half hour with a stopwatch recording the time from icon -> press any key -> menu -> load into a flight 3 times at my stock settings and 3 times with a Defender exception.  No change at all. 

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

It's more likely a problem with the weather engine not displaying rain consistently and people are connecting dots that aren't there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, overt said:

It's more likely a problem with the weather engine not displaying rain consistently and people are connecting dots that aren't there.

Probably.

Though there are a few differences that can show up. On some monitors only one port type will support HDR. Same with G-sync and free-sync .  There are even screens where only one port type (usually the Display Port) supports 4K , or supports 4k at greater than 60hz.   

Other than those specific oddities though, the PC usually goes on what the connection is at the PC end.  (for example DVI does not support HDCP however if you connect to a DVI monitor with a HDMI-DVI cable the PC just sees HDMI and HDCP suddenly IS supported.)

It is hard to see how any of that could effect the game displaying rain though 😄

If it is at all related to swapping cables, I wonder if it's something indirect, like the sim recognizing the change and resetting the graphic settings, bumping up the windshield effects. Looking through those threads, it's just a handful of people, and nobody is doing any serious experimentation before jumping to conclusions.

I get rain as advertised, using DP, so I can't test their claims.

• Upvote 2

I'm using Mini-DP and I have rain, well more like drizzle. Have yet to see a hard rain. Hard enough so you hear it on the windshield and fuselage.

Have had light rain at the start of a flight. But I think only once have I had rain(lightly) once I was already up in the air and flew into it (was on a landing). Have had quite a few times flying and seeing the rain shafts and getting no rain effects. Send a Zendesk bug report with screenshots over a month ago.

Well, looks like the AA makes difference. From TAA to OFF, in order

kFPZIlL.jpg

j7jgBi8.jpg

U1nG3Nn.jpg

LmRKoer.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 1:04 AM, RichieFly said:

Spooky! Like Halloween. 

I'm sure this is known by all, but raindrops only show up with windshield effects set to at least medium.

I'm new to MSFS2020. I used to see rain effects very well first few times I flew. All of a sudden, it's gone. Not sure how it happened but I didn't adjust any settings. 

How did you set the windshield effects? I don't think I have seen such an option from the game's various menus?