Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

Update 1.10.7.0 Performance Loss - Render Thread

Before the latest update everything was fine, I had decent performance in many places in the light aircraft despite my aging PC.  After the update, performance is much worse to the extent the simulator has become unusable.  An example:

Before update, Cessna 172 (non-G1000) at FACT Cape Town I could easily see 45fps even when looking at the terminal building.  Dev mode would say I am GPU limited, which is correct and the Rdrthread (render thread) was executing in less than 10 ms.

After update, same sceanrio I am seeing a little as 15fps.  Now Dev mod says I am "Limited by RdrThread", something I've never seen before.  The Rdrthread is now taking over 60ms to complete, way more than the situation before the update.  

This performance loss is consistent across all aircraft and all locations.  All community add-ons are disabled, so I am on the vanilla package.  Settings are global high, reducing to medium helps a little bit but not enough to make it usable.  The update is literally the only thing that's changed.  Tried turning off "motion blur" in settings, and that's new, but did not help.

My system:

• i7-6700K at 4.4Ghz
  • 32GB RAM  3600Mhz
  • GTX 980Ti

All system resources are lightly loaded, with CPU consumption being 25%.

Any ideas about this one?

Thanks all

Simon

Edited by flying_w

I noticed the same.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Do you have FXAA enabled in your Nvidia control panel and you have TAA enabled? Then turn off FXAA, I had the exact issue and turned out the FXAA was enabled sometime ago which was causing this limited by render thread 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Also check that the update didn't set you to a fixed frame rate in the sim..  it has a habit of doing that.. if so turn off the VSynch options or fixed frame options in the settings.

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I do not have any options set in nvidia CP for MSFS and fixed frame rate is still set in the  sim. With no difference in any of my settings, I am seeing the same as the OP. (In fact, I have tried backing many of them off to try and find the culprit)

Edited by Barnes

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

2 hours ago, flying_w said:

Before the latest update everything was fine, I had decent performance in many places in the light aircraft despite my aging PC.  After the update, performance is much worse to the extent the simulator has become unusable.  An example:

Before update, Cessna 172 (non-G1000) at FACT Cape Town I could easily see 45fps even when looking at the terminal building.  Dev mode would say I am GPU limited, which is correct and the Rdrthread (render thread) was executing in less than 10 ms.

After update, same sceanrio I am seeing a little as 15fps.  Now Dev mod says I am "Limited by RdrThread", something I've never seen before.  The Rdrthread is now taking over 60ms to complete, way more than the situation before the update.  

This performance loss is consistent across all aircraft and all locations.  All community add-ons are disabled, so I am on the vanilla package.  Settings are global high, reducing to medium helps a little bit but not enough to make it usable.  The update is literally the only thing that's changed.  Tried turning off "motion blur" in settings, and that's new, but did not help.

My system:

• i7-6700K at 4.4Ghz
  • 32GB RAM  3600Mhz
  • GTX 980Ti

All system resources are lightly loaded, with CPU consumption being 25%.

Any ideas about this one?

Thanks all

Simon

Exactley the same problem here! This update was a disaster in terms of preformance/fps and stutter! Dont know what has happend, but this is NOT ok! 

This needs to be fixed ASAP!

I post this on official MSFS forum.

"I'm having a huge FPS drop with this patch. Same GPU drivers and same settings.
With ingame FPS counter, I've notice an huge ms increase in "Rdrthread". Was consistent less than 15ms and now is almost 40ms and sometimes go to 60ms. And GPU ms also increase. Was under 30ms and now is always above 35ms and some times near 40ms.
(I know that these screenshots aren't exactly the same but results are consistent all over the board.)

screenshots before patch:
FPS-old.jpg
screen-old.jpg

Today, after patch:
FPS-New.jpg
screen-new.jpg

Clouds quality alse decrease by alot. Outside cockpit seems like an ultra strong fake sharpen effect.
Two crops from my real resolution (3440x3440) showing clouds.
Click on pictures to see full size.

old cloud.

old-clouds.jpg

new cloud.
new-clouds.jpg

I really hope this gets fixed soon."

I tried with all antialiasing options and same result. I also set all graphic options to minimum or disable on those with that option and same problem. It doesn't seems to be a graphic option trigering this.
Rolling cache deleted and disable aswell.

And this was on a clean install of the game. Yes, I even reinstalled from zero and problem persists.

I have a GTX1060 and same problem with old and new drivers that were released yesterday.

On Nvidia control panel I have antialiasing controlled by application and FXAA disabled.

Edited by alexbap

Folks are going to have to find a compromise and live with it.   The last few updates people were complaining of little AA and poor water masking, clear skies when it should be overcast.    Now alot of this is fixed.   Dont think for one sec those improvements are not at the cost of some performance hit.   Flight simulation has always been like this for eons.   And to be honest those specs listed above are not really that high end.  They will certainly do, but relative to some other hardware, they are not going to keep up with doing great AA , with all the fantastic lighting, heavy overcast, reflections, shadows, and water simulation all with high quality.   And to say it was working fine before in earlier builds, doesnt hold water since features and improvements keep getting fixed and or added.  Sure optimizations will come some more, because CPU is not being used to its best capability, and that needs some work, but for the most part, we have to always live with some compromises.   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Turning FXAA on/off in Nvidia inspector makes a huge difference in terms of preformance/fps! But why has that become a problem? This has never ever been a problem before, so why now, within this update? And compromise? To what cost? No way "compromising" with this drawback regarding preformance/fps! This is something ASOBO (?) have in some aspect or way messed up and needs to be fixed! 

• Like 2

Mine was out of wack, but I noticed things looking wrong on the screen. I went to windowed mode and everything is fine now.

Ron

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

33 minutes ago, buspelle said:

Not used before??? 

From the patch release notes:

WORLD

• Motion blur has been added
  • New temporal anti-aliasing (TAA) has been implemented
  • The temporal upsampling has been fixed (when TAA is active with the render scale below 100%)
  • Night lighting has been improved
  • Water night reflections have been added
  • Huge hole in Brazil has been fixed

3 hours ago, flying_w said:

Do you perhaps have any of the Google based mods in Cape Town Scenery - the city buildings, stadium, cable car etc etc? There is a lot of Google derived scenery add-on's for Cape Town as found on the flightsim (dot) to website. If you have these, start by removing every single one of them from your Community folder and see if that helps.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

HighTowers, I don't know if you've read my post but what you are talking about has nothing to do with this problem.

I had 35 FPS and now I have 20/ 25 and even if I put all settings no minimum, AA included.  Problem remains. The second thread, the "Rdrthread", is out of charts on my system as it is with some other people systems, but not on all people. Normal value on this thread is is way lower than main thread but in my system is sometimes three times, main thread value. And this is not normal. It was not as it use to be and still isn't to alot of people.

I understand that with increase quality comes less FPS. And I suspect that majority of people here understands that, so please, unless you have some to contribute the this problem, stop make excuses with some basic clichés.

Guys, we aren't talking about some small decrese of FPS due to better visuals. We are talking about a real problem that doesn't happen with everybody.

And as I said, I've done a clean install so mods or skins aren't the problem.

Edited by alexbap