Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Best use of a tablet ever

3 minutes ago, Richdem said:

OK I just followed a tutorial on the Touch-portal website and now have the icons change depending on their state (On/Off)

This is just brilliant and it works a treat on my old iPad running IOS 9.3.5 which means I can still use my 2019 iPad for other flight related apps 

Pretty glad I did not drop $214 + taxes for the 15 button Stream Deck, instead it will be $17.99 CDN for the Pro version of Touch-Portal

Happy Days 🙂

Lucky you, I managed to download and import a free „flight“ button set from their website, add an example AP button but gave up to change its look from on to off or vice versa. Nice tool but still too much programming for me. Let me know once you put together a nice screen to share 🙂

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

2 minutes ago, DAD said:

Lucky you, I managed to download and import a free „flight“ button set from their website, add an example AP button but gave up to change its look from on to off or vice versa. Nice tool but still too much programming for me. Let me know once you put together a nice screen to share 🙂

You can make a backup which I did,

Let figure out how to share a file on here and I will post the one I have created which is working well so far for the TBM

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to share the panel file

Thks

Edited by Richdem

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

18 hours ago, DAD said:

out of curiosity: how to you turn knobs on the iPad, like eg HDG Select or ALT select?

In AirManager you can turn the knobs by touch, doing circles around the knob, not very convenient. However, they offer a piece of hardware called Knobster, which is just amazing. Two concentric knobs and central button connected via USB. You press the knob on the panel on the touch screen (any knob you wish) it turns yellowish and then you operate the hardware Knobs(ster). 

Edited by Steku

Here is the link to the page where the flight sim icon pack can be downloaded from

https://www.touch-portal.com/assetsdb/show-all.php?cat=i

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

10 hours ago, Martin_CaronStudios said:

I'd like to present a new app I'm developing which will hopefully fit your needs - the MSFS Mobile Companion App.

<snip>

I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

This looks great!  I'll definitely try it out with MSFS.  Is there a chance you may support other sims such as P3Dv5.1 in the future?

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Looks like an amazing program but I cannot get it to work with FS2020. I managed to get the iPad running Touch Portal connected to my PC running FS2020. I created a button then went to add a key press for example flaps up which is F6. Nothing happens, I noticed on the keyboard I need to press fn + F6 but Touch Portal doesn't have a 'fn' key assignment. I went into FS2020 controls, keyboard and changed flaps up to 'U'. This works from the keyboard but using TB does nothing. Any suggestions please.

John

13 hours ago, Gridley said:

This looks great!  I'll definitely try it out with MSFS.  Is there a chance you may support other sims such as P3Dv5.1 in the future?

I don't have P3D and so I can't really test or develop it. However, the MSFS Mobile Companion App uses SimConnect to communicate with the sim. So I think that it could be made compatible with P3D with "relative ease". I don't know how different P3D's SimConnect is to MSFS so maybe, it'll even work without any changes. Try it out, I'd be interested to know.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:41 AM, Martin_CaronStudios said:

I'd like to present a new app I'm developing which will hopefully fit your needs - the MSFS Mobile Companion App. It is a tool that gives you a live OSM map and allows you to control essential aircraft instruments (NAV frequencies, autopilot) using almost any mobile device.

It’s free, no ads, no in-app purchases, works on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, Mac, you name it. Just make sure that you have a fairly recent browser and the device is connected to the same local network as your MSFS PC.

Here is a little screenshot:

MSFS_MCA_Screenshot_v1-1.png

You can download it on GitHub or flightsim.to. Important notice: You install and run the app your MSFS PC and not on your mobile device! The app creates a local web server to which you connect to from your mobile device via an IP address. For more information, check out the official GitHub page.

I'm developing it in my free time so I haven't been able to iron "everything" out. It's just a start, I'll be adding additional features like COMs, ATC, lights, de-icing, etc.

I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Very cool tool and approach with OpenSource Python. I run your tool and find it very useful but I used a second monitor instead of a smartphone. I would like to do some modification for my own purpuse but I dont know how to do it.  I am not familiar with the simconnect approach but have some knowledge about Python as well as some other script language, Perl, AHK, Visual Basic, PHP, HTML, XML gauge for P3D and FSX. Can you give me some hints to start rebuild your tool for my own purpuse?

13 minutes ago, jonny said:

Very cool tool and approach with OpenSource Python. I run your tool and find it very useful but I used a second monitor instead of a smartphone. I would like to do some modification for my own purpuse but I dont know how to do it.  I am not familiar with the simconnect approach but have some knowledge about Python as well as some other script language, Perl, AHK, Visual Basic, PHP, HTML, XML gauge for P3D and FSX. Can you give me some hints to start rebuild your tool for my own purpuse?

I don't consider my self a pro programmer. I've started programming in my free time fairly recently. So this should give you the indication that it is not that hard to modify. With your skills, you should be more than capable of adapting the tool yourself.

I'd suggest you look at the original Python SimConnect library on GitHub. You'll find a pretty good short documentation on how to use it. MSFS Mobile Companion Apps is built on that library. I've changed the UI to make it mobile device friendly, made some hacks here and there to make certain features work, but nothing out of the ordinary. If you need anything specific, please feel free to contact me via GitHub. Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, johnh1984 said:

Looks like an amazing program but I cannot get it to work with FS2020. I managed to get the iPad running Touch Portal connected to my PC running FS2020. I created a button then went to add a key press for example flaps up which is F6. Nothing happens, I noticed on the keyboard I need to press fn + F6 but Touch Portal doesn't have a 'fn' key assignment. I went into FS2020 controls, keyboard and changed flaps up to 'U'. This works from the keyboard but using TB does nothing. Any suggestions please.

John

Did you get this working?

I just used the link below to find out what keyboard combination I needed to use, make sure under input you use "virtual key press"

https://cheatography.com/nimasmi/cheat-sheets/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

I registered the pro version and am now in the process of setting up a full page

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, Richdem said:

I just used the link below to find out what keyboard combination I needed to use, make sure under input you use "virtual key press"

I registered the pro version and am now in the process of setting up a full page

Watching this, maybe when your done you could give us a little tutorial

OK, here is a good tutorial on how to set up MS2020 with Touch Portal. Second half of the video walks you right through programming. The only thing i don't get is where you select the program your going to use...in our case MS2020. 

Edited by Dutch1

For those of you that have the full version it looks like there is already a group working on using touch-portal with MSFS 2020 via Simconnect

https://github.com/Touch-Portal-MSFS/MSFSTouchPortalPlugin

I will have a look this weekend

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

5 hours ago, Richdem said:

Thanks for the reply Rich, No I have not managed to get it working. I am connected and when I assign a button to open a folder it works. But when I create a button and select a virtual key press such as 'G' (toggle gear) nothing happens when I press the button?

John

1 hour ago, johnh1984 said:

Thanks for the reply Rich, No I have not managed to get it working. I am connected and when I assign a button to open a folder it works. But when I create a button and select a virtual key press such as 'G' (toggle gear) nothing happens when I press the button?

John

I can't even get that far. when trying to program a button, then go to the left side Add actions/Start Application Then go find my FlightSimulator.exe and choose it /open i get an error  You don't have permission to open this file!!!!!

Edited by Dutch1