Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

Best use of a tablet ever

Hi All,

I was looking into getting a Stream Deck to have the ability to assign multiple functions within MSFS 2020 instead of constantly using my keyboard. They do look great but are not cheap. While browsing at lunch I came across this excellent alternative called Touch Portal. You basically create virtual buttons using MSFS default keyboard mappings and run a client on your PC and an app on your tablet. I tried both Android & IOS, both have a free version with some limitations (2 pages and 4 buttons per page) It is super simple to setup and it works brilliantly ! There is even a Flight simulator icon pack you can download. I can definitely recommend even the free version, for me I have buttons on my Honeycomb Yoke & Saitek panels. The paid version is around $15 and gives you unlimited pages, various grid sizes and up to 110 buttons per page.

https://www.touch-portal.com/

mzzGkeD.jpg

ofKsah1.jpg

4Wl1CMJ.jpg

Edited by Richdem
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks a lot. Will give it a try. Was looking into such app but did not find anything yet. RemoteFlight has quite some sleek apps but I am hesitant since eg their autopilot app was last updated 6 yrs ago...

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Looks cool.  Thanks for sharing.  I wonder if the app will run on an old iPad...EDIT: Looks like iOS9+ so should be good!

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

cool thanks for sharing, just downloaded free version looks good.  I was looking for something like this so your post is incredibly timely!

Thomas Derbyshire

Another good one to check out is SimDashboard. Works the same way, but allows you to create custom buttons with custom imagery, and place them where ever you want on the screen. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can even import screenshots of the buttons in the cockpit, then make them into buttons on the tablet so they look like they should. Very much transformed my DCS experience, as I can just reach out to hit buttons rather than having to take my hand off the stick and grab the mouse, etc.

• Like 2

Is SimDashboard available for iOS?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Why buttons only, when you can have the full instrument panel with AirManager. Beta of AM4 support MFS2020. 

If I had two tablets I would certainly take a look at that.  But I am rooted to the Fltplan Go app for all it does.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

33 minutes ago, Steku said:

Why buttons only, when you can have the full instrument panel with AirManager. Beta of AM4 support MFS2020. 

Looks also good. Are any (community) panels available for the a320? Saw only XP panels on their website. 

out of curiosity: how to you turn knobs on the iPad, like eg HDG Select or ALT select?

Phil Leaven

1 hour ago, DAD said:

Is SimDashboard available for iOS?

Yep.

27 minutes ago, DAD said:

out of curiosity: how to you turn knobs on the iPad, like eg HDG Select or ALT select?

On SDB, I solved this by putting two invisible buttons on either side of the knob that increase/decrease whatever the knob controls. The knob is just a dummy graphic. You just press to the right to go up, and left to go down.

• Like 1

There's also an iPadOS app called Custom Keypad. It is highly configurable with a variety of buttons, etc. I have used it to create a custom ARTS keyboard for the VATSIM controller client VRC. I think it costs around $5 at the app store.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

13 minutes ago, eslader said:

Yep

Really? Only find the google play version on their website.

Phil Leaven

I use Matric with Android. They have some templates for MSFS ready for download. 3 images from one of them.

IMG-20201111-203903.jpg

IMG-20201111-203925.jpg

IMG-20201111-204026.jpg

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Note that in combination with using a pad for switches you can also pop the glass cockpit screens onto a second monitor in Win10 . It does NOT give you functional knobs and buttons in the pop up window though.

CAVEAT  it can cause stuttering and FPS issues for some people.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick