Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

If you are thinking about head tracking look no further

Hi Guys,

I recently got interested in head tracking for my flight sim hobby and did a ton of research and ended up purchasing a system from Grass Monkey Solutions

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

I got the puck version for CDN $123.00 shipped to my door in just over a week. This is completely wireless

xrpexcS.jpg

Everything you could need is there so you are ready to go, headband, modified PS3 Eye, monitor mount and of course the wireless LED tracker. This stuff is really well built unlike the flimsy products you get with TrackIR. The written instructions were excellent along with a great instruction video. I did spend some time watching other tutorials and researching how to properly set Opentrack up. It does differ depending on the environment you use it in. Once you get it right boy is it ever good. The PS3 eye can run at 320 x 240 at 160FPS and 640 x 480 at 75FPS. Roger the proprietor of Grass Monkey Solutions was extremely helpful answering a number of questions before I purchased and then again while I was setting up. I fly in X-Plane 11 & MSFS 2020 and this has been a game changer for me. I cannot recommend Roger or his products enough. The flight sim community needs more companies like Grass Monkey that produce amazing products that are well designed, well built and actually work without having to break the bank !

Cannot believe I have waited all these years to try headtracking !! 

Edited by Richdem
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I made the same for around 20$, the IR clip can be both powered by usb or batteries, a life changer for simulators!

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

1 minute ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

How is this better than the FREE iphone solution?

You don't need an iphone, you can play in the dark or sunlight, did I already mentioned you don't need an iphone?

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

I HAVE an iphone (SE 2020) and since it doesn't have face recognition, I can't use it.  

That being said, I'm torn on which way to go.  Either dig out my Oculus Rift and hook up all the sensors and headset and then use the Virtual Desktop to play, or pony up for track IR solution type solutions and use it with my 43" TV/Monitor on my desk.  

I might be getting a quest2 soon.  Don't know if MS will officially support that or not.   Decisions Decisions.

Edited by wthomas33065

43 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

How is this better than the FREE iphone solution?

I tried face tracking with an iPhone, Galaxy S9+ an Arduco markers using a regular PS3 Eye camera.

While they work to a degree they are no where near as accurate as LED tracking. Once setup and the curves adjusted correctly this is phenomenal. 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, wthomas33065 said:

Is there any difference between puck and odyssey other than form factor?  

No just the form factor,

They are nicely built with a physical on/off rocker style switch and apparently battery life is up to 80 hours on one AA. I personally like the puck version but it is down to personal preference in the end

Edited by Richdem

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Tobi Eye tracking is currently not supported...  Not sure if asobo or Tobi have any plans to implement support.

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

This is the one i may get next year i have a track cap but with this you do not wear anything and your eyes only need to move and not your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPPjLPF8Y1s

I use the trackIR "cap clip" not the fragile new ball thingee ...  BUT ended up attaching it to the top of my headset not a cap.

The issue with a cap is that, aside from being annoying to wear with a headset indoors, they also tend to flop downwards and a top mounted sensor struggles to get a reliable image with a cap sensor pointing down.  Clipping it to my headset means I just need to tilt the headset back slightly and I get  a much more consistent signal then I ever did with it clipped to a baseball cap.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick