Sign in to follow this  
trisho0

PMDG 747-400 question

6 hours ago, killthespam said:

Gents,

The are many issues here, I want to be very clear here to Patricio that I'm not trying to discourage you from this hobby.

Contrary, I urge you first to study (a very tedious process) and understand the basics of flying a smaller airplane (start with the basics first).

Again, this is the wrong airplane to jump in when there is so much to be learned about flying, as a side note people flying these airplanes have thousands of hours in other equipment before they get to be trained to fly this one.

I appreciate your guidance here but I follow PMDG Tutorials and when I have a problem I can ask what I am doing wrong. I don't have to go back to basics like Rod from FSX sim lessons. I know I need more practice and intended to learn more. The flight OAKB-OPIS maybe is too challenge for 747.

I flew a different plan LLBG-LLER which has lower altitude for flying. Previous videos will be removed because clearly I learned about V1, VR and V2. Any help and comments are welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WTnqs76VrC8fg4q8eQ1kusstBC9kV8zs/view?usp=sharing

Edited by trisho0
n/a

Patricio Valdes

I don't understand how is that you follow the PMDG tutorials when it is not the first time when I see from your videos that as an example you load the route backwards etc.

Please look at the Flight crew training manual and also read and familiarize yourself with take offs.

You will learn what those V speeds stand for and what to do etc. I'm sorry but when you say that you don't have to go back to basics it's an overstatement. 

Before you practice I strongly suggest reading Boeing FCTM, even we would like to help there are so many items that you need to study, we cannot help you without a good foundation and understanding of what the airplane is supposed to do.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

50 minutes ago, killthespam said:

I don't understand how is that you follow the PMDG tutorials when it is not the first time when I see from your videos that as an example you load the route backwards etc.

Please look at the Flight crew training manual and also read and familiarize yourself with take offs.

You will learn what those V speeds stand for and what to do etc. I'm sorry but when you say that you don't have to go back to basics it's an overstatement. 

Before you practice I strongly suggest reading Boeing FCTM, even we would like to help there are so many items that you need to study, we cannot help you without a good foundation and understanding of what the airplane is supposed to do.

OK, I guess you meant I loaded the route backwards from OAKB-OPIS flight plan. I can takeoff from either runway side, rwy29 or rwy11 and I learned how to handle V1, VR and V2. Occasionally yes, I take my time to visit Rod Machado lessons to refresh. Also, I will check again the Flight Crew Training Manual for 747, good idea. Thanks for that.

I think this is a sim game I am not intended to become a real Pilot. I enjoy with PMDG. I repeated the flight OAKB-OPIS and takeoff from rwy29. I don't think it can be better. For me this takeoff is what I expected. The landings I need more practice I know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJB1wEfNXIhdqkDam7OW0Du3PqzE1f6Q/view?usp=sharing

I think this thread is over and resolved.

Patricio

Edited by trisho0
n/a

Patricio Valdes

The plane made a much better effort at making that turn this time!

For the record, I would like to state here that you do not need to know the basics of flying a small GA plane to fly (and enjoy) the PMDG airliners. I fly these planes "low and slow" around the UK, and I have no problem keeping them under control if I build a sensible flightplan on the FMC. Having said that, I would never personally try to use a SID that is designed for take offs in the opposite direction. I have no idea if that happens in the real world, but I suspect that SIDs are designated for specific runway departures for a reason.

Like the OP, I have no intention of ever being a real world pilot. I just want to enjoy flying some of the most detailed and realistic airliners available for flight simulation on the PC, and I have been doing that (with far less knowledge than most virtual pilots here) for many years.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

50 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

For the record, I would like to state here that you do not need to know the basics of flying a small GA plane to fly (and enjoy) the PMDG airliners. I fly these planes "low and slow" around the UK, and I have no problem keeping them under control if I build a sensible flightplan on the FMC. Having said that, I would never personally try to use a SID that is designed for take offs in the opposite direction. I have no idea if that happens in the real world, but I suspect that SIDs are designated for specific runway departures for a reason.

Like the OP, I have no intention of ever being a real world pilot. I just want to enjoy flying some of the most detailed and realistic airliners available for flight simulation on the PC, and I have been doing that (with far less knowledge than most virtual pilots here) for many years.

Maybe he should use one of the flight planners available and avoid direct input altogether. (Simbrief comes to mind).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Agreed! now you can try A2A Connie next time and no FMC but Sperry.

Patricio Valdes

3 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Maybe he should use one of the flight planners available and avoid direct input altogether. (Simbrief comes to mind).

I use Plan-G for non-FMC birds and Simbrief for PMDG 737, 747 and 777. Simbrief doesn't give me good route, not all waypoint 747 FMC accepts. So, what I entered in FMC LEGS page is what I found as the best route for journey.

Patricio Valdes

From a very quick look....

1)You didn’t follow the flight directors so you didn’t have an acceleration stage

2) As you didn’t accelerate  you didn’t retract the flaps on schedule 

The aircraft is low on energy... it’s climbing way too slow and has 20 degrees of flap out at 15,000 ft hanging in the wind, it’s going nowhere .

You need to be climbing out at about 260kts accelerating to around 300kts above 10,000ft but above all clean , accelerate and get the flaps in. If you follow the flight directors it’ll give you an acceleration segment at around 1,000 to 1500 ft agl depending what you have in the FMC

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

What the hell was happening to the speed tape when approaching the runway near the end? It was up and down like a yoyo :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, jon b said:

From a very quick look....

1)You didn’t follow the flight directors so you didn’t have an acceleration stage

2) As you didn’t accelerate  you didn’t retract the flaps on schedule 

The aircraft is low on energy... it’s climbing way too slow and has 20 degrees of flap out at 15,000 ft hanging in the wind, it’s going nowhere .

You need to be climbing out at about 260kts accelerating to around 300kts above 10,000ft but above all clean , accelerate and get the flaps in. If you follow the flight directors it’ll give you an acceleration segment at around 1,000 to 1500 ft agl depending what you have in the FMC

1) I tried to follow FD horizon line at 15

2) The Acceleration was commanded via AT I guess. In order to retract flaps I was waiting for the FD "green 10" going down.

3) I found later from the FMC the first LEG was set at 2500 so when I changed to 25000 the plane started climbing as expected.

Patricio Valdes

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

What the hell was happening to the speed tape when approaching the runway near the end? It was up and down like a yoyo :huh:

I saw that and I guess due to almost no fuel left? I think the flight plan SCEL-LZIB exceeded the 747 range.

Patricio Valdes

41 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

2) The Acceleration was commanded via AT I guess. In order to retract flaps I was waiting for the FD "green 10" going down.

At 400ft agl  after take off you’ll see the flight mode annunciations change to thrust ref and VNAV spd .

This means the auto thrust is at its full reference setting and VNAV is controlling speed through pitch.

At the pre programmed acceleration altitude in the FMC Vnav will command a lower pitch through the flight directors to allow the aircraft to accelerate, the thrust stays where it is.

• Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.