Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Hoping for those CPU optimizations this week...

Asobo had mentioned in a previous Twitch that they had improved threading and were seeing 6-10 FPS improvements, which would be really helpful. Unfortunately that enhancement did not make it into update 6. Here is what Jayne said...

Hi all! I got word from the devs regarding two issues they mentioned were coming soon in the last Dev Q&A:

1. Mixture Bug : Issue where the mixture drops drastically after 90%
  2. CPU Optimizations  693: improvements to CPU threading

They held back on releasing in Update #6 as they noticed some risks. As of today things are looking good for them to be in Update #7, though don’t hold me to that. So far, so good!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we appreciate your patience!

Having the North America update will be really nice, but this is what i am really waiting for.  Even a 3-4 FPS improvement would be helpful. I am barely reaching 30 in many situations. 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Out of curiosity since many others complain (I seemingly see more stuttering too) how is your mileage after update #7?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I'm seeing noticeably less stuttering in places where I was CPU-limited before (eg in the airbus or CJ4 over cities).  Dev mode shows 'limited by main thread' far less frequently than before.  No change in areas where I was not CPU-limited, as expected.

Note that I have a somewhat unbalanced system - 7 year old i7-4770k CPU with a GTX 1080Ti GPU.  In yesterday's Q&A, they explained the nature of the optimization in some detail, and my observations are consistent with that.  They also mentioned they were looking into reports that some people had observed increased stuttering. 

• Like 1

No real fps improvement but i can run good quality settings in 1440p with my setup at around 25 to 30 fps. Going to have to do until i upgrade everything. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

FPS not effected, main change is it reports limited by GPU all the time now now rather than flipping backwards and forwards. There are possibly less of those weird random stutters but they have always been .. well random .. so it is hard to tell for sure.

I have a laptop with a desktop 9900K and a 2080. With the new patch it feels way better, not sure if I gained 5-10fps, but it's great on 5120x1440, mostly ultra, HDR on

38 minutes ago, loge said:

I'm seeing noticeably less stuttering in places where I was CPU-limited before (eg in the airbus or CJ4 over cities).  Dev mode shows 'limited by main thread' far less frequently than before.  No change in areas where I was not CPU-limited, as expected.

Note that I have a somewhat unbalanced system - 7 year old i7-4770k CPU with a GTX 1080Ti GPU.  In yesterday's Q&A, they explained the nature of the optimization in some detail, and my observations are consistent with that.  They also mentioned they were looking into reports that some people had observed increased stuttering. 

Very similar setup/situation with older i7 XPS and a 1060 card. Was going to buy a new rig for this but can't figure out when to pull the trigger with all the bugs and optimizing etc. Once they figure out the CPU optimization hopefully be the right time to upgrade...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Definitely gained a lot. 5 to 10 FPS increase and almost no stutters.

• Like 1

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

I too have an older CPU (X79 i7-4820k OCed to 4.5ghz), but a pretty top of the line GPU, had a 2080, just got a 3080. So I'm very smooth 45ish fps in rural areas. But dense urban areas are more like 24-28fps at realistic altitudes. And if I drop to unrealistic roof skimming levels I can drop to 12-15fps. (This is 4k, Mostly Ultra settings

The latest update does seem to make things smoother, and sometimes it seems like it's a few or up to maybe six fps faster? But the places I was badly CPU limited before are the places I'm badly CPU limited now, no noticeable fps boost really, just seems more consistently slow, smoother, less stutters in those places. Maybe there's a boost in the middle? Places that were 30fps may be 35ish now? But the places I really was hoping for 5-10fps better are the same fps, just less glitches, stutters.

But I did find that I drop to 10fps over some tree heavy areas in the San Francisco Presidio heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge. Pretty sure that was more a 20-28fps area before? But that's the only area that seems much slower now and it's REALLY slow, so I think there's something with the new data there that's just not right.

It's better, but I was hoping it would cure me of my urges to finally upgrade my mobo/CPU/ram, and it's not that. But it'll be a while until I can get a new mobo and a 5900x or something like that. And with the 3080 and the latest patch I do think I can enjoy the heck out of the sim until that time. Just need to resist the urge to skim rooftops in big cities. 

Edited by Dylanear

I am getting 80 fps in rural areas  and high 60 fps in busy cities, LA or NY with airliners.

Over LAX

Landing in LAX

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

6 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Very similar setup/situation with older i7 XPS and a 1060 card. Was going to buy a new rig for this but can't figure out when to pull the trigger with all the bugs and optimizing etc. Once they figure out the CPU optimization hopefully be the right time to upgrade...

Same here with even older i5-2500k. Basically great performance on my 1660super in a mix between medium and high settings. But perceived more stutters now than ever before 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1080ti
32 gig ram
1080p resolution 
Most settings on Ultra with a couple on High
Both LOD's set at 200
Render Scale set at 120

With GA planes in Rural area's I get 55-60fps (capped at 60 with Vsync)
Big cities like around JFK I get 30-35fps

If I pop out something like ATC into a new window on my second screen it costs me 8-10 fps and than another 2-4 fps for any additional pop out window

I gained about 5fps with this update & I can see a greater load distributed to cores 1 & 2 (they now run at around 75%);  core 6 is where the main thread (running 98-100%); the other cores run around 50%

In rural areas my GPU runs at 99% so I'm GPU limited there BUT moving into cities I become CPU limited so the GPU only runs at around 70% as the CPU can't throw enough frames at it.

For my aging rig I'm very pleased with the fps I'm getting;  I've found the right graphic eye-candy settings to balance my GPU & CPU loads.

• Upvote 1

I see no difference at all.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

5 hours ago, BijanStudio said:

I am getting 80 fps in rural areas  and high 60 fps in busy cities, LA or NY with airliners.

Would be interesting to see the last video from the cockpit view of the 787 😉

I see no measureable difference in fps where it would be most needed: photogrammetric cities are still a mess, very much limited by the main thread and generally stuttery. I am talking about the airliner cockpits. Smaller planes or using the external view is a little better, but still not really smooth. As long as the plane is not moving, fps are very acceptable, but when starting to move faster during takeoff frames drop significantly. There must be some issue with scenery loading that is very heavy on the CPU.

I see bad stuttering in Budapest.

Stock B58 no mods. 

Departing from LHBP 31R, stay on runway heading and maintain 2000ft. When crossing the Danube turn left heading 200 and follow the river.

I get stutters and very long two second pause in that area.

Tried Ultra, High and Medium settings, same result. 

Using 1080P monitor. Specs in sig.

Try it out. I'll Zen desk it if lots see the same effect.

Cheers

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.