Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

World Update II: United States (Update #7) is now live!

6 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Pretty sure these are palm trees - or rather, Blackshark AI's interpretation of what it does when it sees palm trees in the satellite imagery.  They line the beaches and other areas in SoCal in the same manner as the real palm trees.  Go find the location of an In-n-Out Burger for instance, and you'll see them there too.  Hopefully there will be a better interpretation of them in the world model someday. 

It'd be nice if the AI algorithms could be "taught" to recognize these, erase them, and replace them with a stock model of a tree or something.

Has the Caribbean been given some love in this update?

I can't tell any difference thus far.

Chris Camp

5 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Has the Caribbean been given some love in this update?

I can't tell any difference thus far.

it's only the united states.

Hello,

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Wichita, Ks supposed to be in the USA Update?  Cessna Aircraft Company was headquartered in Wichita, Ks and KICT has a Cessna Service Center located on the airfield.

Happy Landings,

Josh

42 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Wichita, Ks supposed to be in the USA Update?

They never said that was coming.

Roger on the last Tuskin. Thank You Sir.

Happy Landings,

14 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Pretty sure these are palm trees - or rather, Blackshark AI's interpretation of what it does when it sees palm trees in the satellite imagery.  They line the beaches and other areas in SoCal in the same manner as the real palm trees.  Go find the location of an In-n-Out Burger for instance, and you'll see them there too.  Hopefully there will be a better interpretation of them in the world model someday. 

Yes, palm trees. A lot of southern California and tropical Pacific islands I've flown over just looks horrible. No palm trees to be found, just the messed up photogrammetry and often the big (huge?) kinda generic looking, round, fluffy, no branches or variations "broccoli" that don't belong on those landscapes. And the conifers don't really look like conifers and are all too alike as well.  But I have seen a few detailed palms here and there at times, MSFS does have palm models that look pretty good, which makes this even more frustrating. 

On one hand, as generic all over trees in a flight sim are concerned, the MSFS trees are fantastic, they don't bog down the sim as a general rule, thankfully don't look like simple "cross" geometry trees, have a nice volume to them. A big step up from the base trees in other sims. On the other, the sameness and inaccuracy of the trees really is one of the distractions that pull me out of really feeling it as real when flying low in wild areas. Which is one of my favorite things to do in sims. 

Anyone who can upgrade the MSFS trees I'll buy an add on from. Something like TeraFlora or HD Trees, etc. But ideally also improving species placement/biome definitions.

The bad photogrametry palm trees will probably need an AI solution specific to trees. But if they can train an AI to make buildings, hopefully they can train an AI to plant more accurately matching trees and forests. Granted there's a LOT more trees on planet earth than buildings. But since the MSFS trees are not bad in execution, some better variations and some more accurate placement would make good, but generic trees amazing. 

Edited by Dylanear

On 11/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, regis9 said:

I flew to Cape Canaveral / Kennedy Space Centre tonight and it seemed to be a mixed bag.  The Visitors Complex was well done with 3D rockets, space shuttle on display but the launch pads were all flat (I could see gantries and towers in the orthophoto but none in 3d) and the Vehicle Assembly Building (a pretty significant landmark) was not a custom building.  Seemed like a bit of an odd effort for an area noted as a landmark.

"To be fair, it specifically says visitors centre on the POI."

On 11/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, Tuskin38 said:

That addon is the reverse of what we got in the update

"Hopefully the two can work together to complete the “picture”."

They do nicely combine to change a rather sad KSC to a much more interesting one. Really, MS/Asobo should have made a deal with the maker(s) of the free KSC add on, gave them proper credit and included it, at least in the Marketplace as a free download if not as part of the sim. I did notice the massive concrete bases on Pad 39 A and B were partially floating above the ground in significant ways. Doesn't look all that bad at a glance, but I could probably park a Cub under the tallest of the gaps. Maybe the authors need to adjust it to the latest height maps Asobo is using?

Still plenty of KSC that has messy bad photogrammetry or less than ideal Blackshark auto gen buildings, often where a launch pad and tower should be not a house. Happy to see Asobo partner with volunteers on special places, but seems like the volunteers are shouldering a lot of the KSC area!

Edited by Dylanear

23 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Left and right is translate cockpit camera left or right and up/down is Increase/Decrease Cockpit Height

Thanks!

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

Anyone notice a lot of shimmering at KDFW?

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot