Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Latest Asobo update has radically changed the a/p

Ok, I did some tests on the C172 G1000 TAS 121kt, for a 150 degree turn, it took 1min40s to complete it, but 1min just for the last 30 degrees 😴

I will try, with something a bit quicker 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robert young said:

I would use a rather more rude description

Yes it is incredibly frustrating. Two steps forward, one step backwards. At least we can't say Asobo is inconsistent.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

5 minutes ago, bendead said:

Ok, I did some tests on the C172 G1000 TAS 121kt, for a 150 degree turn, it took 1min40s to complete it, but 1min just for the last 30 degrees 😴

I will try, with something a bit quicker 

And there you have it. Standard rate turns are not cast in stone. But as the conventional wisdom is 1 minute for a standard rate turn of 180 degrees, taking 1.40" to achieve only 150 is absolutely demonstrating the issue here. So you were approaching double the time it should take, and as you pointed out 1 minute of that was for the final 30 degrees! That clearly shows that the bank is being severely curtailed by Asobo's update all in the name of "smoothing".

It didn't need smoothing in the first place. I just cannot get my head around such a crass and dumb thing to do. It is just plain wrong in every possible way and makes all MSFS autopilots untenable as a useable tool.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

4 minutes ago, robert young said:

And there you have it. Standard rate turns are not cast in stone. But as the conventional wisdom is 1 minute for a standard rate turn of 180 degrees, taking 1.40" to achieve only 150 is absolutely demonstrating the issue here. So you were approaching double the time it should take, and as you pointed out 1 minute of that was for the final 30 degrees! That clearly shows that the bank is being severely curtailed by Asobo's update all in the name of "smoothing".

It didn't need smoothing in the first place. I just cannot get my head around such a crass and dumb thing to do. It is just plain wrong in every possible way and makes all MSFS autopilots untenable as a useable tool.

With the TBM, it took exactly the same time 1min40s but slower on the first 120 degrees, 55 sec and quicker on the last 30 degrees, so i guess, each aircraft got a different tuning on the AP roll

6 hours ago, robert young said:

It could be either my imagination or something peculiar to my MSFS installation, but I don't think so. Every aircraft I've tried so far, default or modded, starts coming out of a heading-select turn way, way too early. Example: You are flying due North and you select due East, and switch on altitude hold then heading. Before the update, most aircraft banked at 20-30 degrees then would roll out of the turn approximately 5-10 degrees before the selected heading, then settle on the heading within around 5-8 seconds max.

After the update every aircraft I've tried starts rolling fine, but then begins rolling to level far too early, resulting in the last 10 degrees capture of the heading taking ages. Now if I am wrong on this I apologise, but anyone interested in this might like to test it for themselves. The other odd thing is that so far I cannot over-ride these settings at all, whatever I tweak. This has implications for ILS capture too, as the roll for heading correcting is so slow now that I keep missing the localiser unless I capture the LOC from a very shallow angle.

Bottom line is they should be banking at standard rate, approximately 17 degrees, and rolling out 10 degrees or so before the desired heading. That would be more realistic. 

5 hours ago, robert young said:

Asobo need some proper pilots and people who know what they are doing. Every update like this goes completely over the top. Smoothing means making something less abrupt. This ain't smoothing. It's strangling!

This is the reality. It’s wonderful that a lot of these guys are getting their PPLs having worked on the sim, but I wouldn’t leave it up to me to design a submarine simulator. All I know about submarines is that they go under water and that Tom Clancy books are cool. They could have saved themselves, and us, a lot of aggravation by having a lot more pilot involvement in the development of the sim. Any competent pilot could explain these issues that are taking months to resolve in a matter of minutes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robert young said:

And there you have it. Standard rate turns are not cast in stone. But as the conventional wisdom is 1 minute for a standard rate turn of 180 degrees

Standard rate is 3 degrees per second. So 60 seconds for 180 degrees. Give a few for roll in and roll out. 

And now, imagine having to wait 1 month to see it possibly fixed... 🙁

While this is frustrating the silver lining is at least Asobo do not write software for real aircraft, can you imagine boarding your next flight to somewhere nice and warm after this crazy year and seeing a sticker on the Captain's window saying "Software by Asobo" I'd turn right around lol

I do hope they fix this, I do believe progress is being made with the sim but then they go and do something like this.

• Like 3

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

4 minutes ago, Richdem said:

While this is frustrating the silver lining is at least Asobo do not write software for real aircraft,

If that is you rational then no! LOL Asobo could never write software for real aircraft because it wouldn't be certified  by aviation administration authorities !

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I just reported the issue to Zendesk, maybe if enough people do it, they will speed up the fix, we never know and we have nothing to lose. 

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

If that is you rational then no! LOL Asobo could never write software for real aircraft because it wouldn't be certified  by aviation administration authorities !

Maybe you missed the heavy dose of sarcasm there lol

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Just now, Richdem said:

Maybe you missed the heavy dose of sarcasm there lol

May be double down on it 😉

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, robert young said:

So you were approaching double the time it should take

Do all the APs have a Bank button? If memory serves me correctly it decreases the bank angle so you don't upset passengers, spill drinks, etc. I wonder if they've accidentally coded the Bank button to be turned on by default.

On the C172 G1000, from 360 to 190, during the first half of the turn we are about 4-5° per sec, then slow down to 3° per sec, then at 2/3 of the turn, it will start to go down about half the previous rate every 10°. 1.5° per sec, 0.75° per sec, etc...  until reaching 190°