Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Exactly what is MSFS doing better than its predecessors?

5 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

So flying a King Air 350 GTN 750 in either XP or P3D is a click a to b. For me it is FIDELITY.

If that FIDELITY that you get in XP or P3D makes you happy then that's amazing and I'm genuinely happy for you and I mean it, literally.

In case you want that FIDELITY and the GTN 750 in MSFS 2020, then the current available options are:

1. write/develop your own fidelity and the GTN 750 and add it to MSFS. 

2. wait for the MSFS SDK to mature some more so that third party developers such as RXP or Flight1 can make and sell you one.

4 hours ago, Ragnaroq said:

They'll get the flight models and A/P sorted out in due time.

So many people are saying this.  They say it over and over as if that will make it true, but where is there any evidence that Asobo is just around the corner from "getting it right"?  Don't recent "updates" point in exactly the opposite direction.  No real progress in any area seems to have been made since release.  These devs seem to lack fundamental aeronautical knowledge and the ability to correctly analyze what is wrong from a programming standpoint. 

They keep setting themselves arbitrary dates in the future when this problem or that one will be solved.  Then, having failed to solve them, they go ahead and push the patch anyway regardless of the effect it has on existing "features"

It's just my opinion but blind faith in people with this kind of record is astounding--and to see so much of it.  I'm just wondering where it comes from.  In any case I don't see how it helps the community.

It seems to me that all efforts and resources should be spent on completing the SDK so that developers who know what they're doing (and there are many) can make real contributions to the usability of this sim.

Edited by TASCHMANN
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, EvidencePlz said:

In case you didn't know, several real world pilots and even some aerospace engineers have publicly said the flight model of some - if not all - of the default and third party aircraft are already quite realistic compared to their real world counterparts. And it will only get better as the SDK matures some more. 

I don't know, most people do not want to say anything negative because of the backlash that often happens, so when giving opinions they are just going to state what is right and not what is wrong. If talking privately to real pilots, there are issues in the physics and they know about it, but they don't want to say in a public place or even in their little blogs, they will just say what makes other people feel good. So I wouldn't go around repeating this, as you'll make Asobo think nothing needs to be fixed.

And even though the ABOVE is true in some cases, some pilots are more blunt than others and so it's not a reflection of whether or not the physics are accurate just because someone may only say something good.

That said, I enjoy this sim, so don't get me wrong, I am just pointing this out for others that are more focused on the flight modeling.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I take your comment the right way, and to me the answer is support and development. Yeah, maybe Asobo are overcorrecting some things. Maybe some things should be a bigger priority than others. And as you point out, the big changes are the world updates. But here's the thing: they're doing something. 

I was a big critic when the sim was released. It had so many problems. Those are getting fixed, slowly, by the devs and the community. But the sim is being developed. They clearly intend on supporting and improving it. 

For me, it's good for what I use it for. And the eye candy is just captivating. I flew over my mom's house the other day. It's there. The golf course next door, the holes are correct. At my home airport, you can see the yellow school busses parked in the lot next door. The Caribbean? Astounding. But at the pace they're going, in 6 months to a year this sim will be even more incredible. 

That's what they're doing better in my eyes: giving us hope. 

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

I take your comment the right way, and to me the answer is support and development. Yeah, maybe Asobo are overcorrecting some things. Maybe some things should be a bigger priority than others. And as you point out, the big changes are the world updates. But here's the thing: they're doing something. 

I was a big critic when the sim was released. It had so many problems. Those are getting fixed, slowly, by the devs and the community. But the sim is being developed. They clearly intend on supporting and improving it. 

For me, it's good for what I use it for. And the eye candy is just captivating. I flew over my mom's house the other day. It's there. The golf course next door, the holes are correct. At my home airport, you can see the yellow school busses parked in the lot next door. The Caribbean? Astounding. But at the pace they're going, in 6 months to a year this sim will be even more incredible. 

That's what they're doing better in my eyes: giving us hope. 

Totally agree! The communication between the Devs and their community is very good and following along a constructive path.

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

59 minutes ago, EvidencePlz said:

If you have to ask such a question then MSFS 2020 is definitely not the right kind of flight simulator for you. Stick with the boring point A to B legacy button press auto-liner flight simulators and be happy.

Also there's no such thing as eye candy in MSFS 2020. It tries to simulate  the world as realistically as possible using latest advances and innovations in science and technology. That's not eye candy. The meaning of eye candy according to Cambridge dictionary is: "someone or something that is attractive but not very interesting or useful". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/eye-candy

If you think the world is "eye candy " and therefore "not interesting or useful", I don't really know what else to say.

You also said there were issues with flight model, but didn't elaborate or add specific details. In case you didn't know, several real world pilots and even some aerospace engineers have publicly said the flight model of some - if not all - of the default and third party aircraft are already quite realistic compared to their real world counterparts. And it will only get better as the SDK matures some more. 

MSFS 2020 is a world simulation and flight simulation is just one of the many important aspects of it which will be in continual development for years. It's not an upgraded version of fsx, prepar3d or xplane. To quote PMDG's Robert Randazzo:

• MSFS is providing to us is a world simulation into which we can insert some truly incredible simulations.
  • Unlike previous generations, MSFS is a live, evolving platform that will remain under continual development.
  • This is the platform that we will be using for the next 5-10 years. As such we are making a long-term investment in our development effort.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/75469-30jul20-pmdg-s-view-of-msfs-and-the-future-of-simming

If you hate the world or the simulation of it, seek professional help and ask yourself why you hate it.

Mr. Prochnow again,

Well...as a non native english speaker  i was not aware i have to comply to cambridge's dictionary in order to use the term "eye candy". Seems to me some people take that word as an offense....dunno why.

Never ever did i say that the world in MSFS is not interesting nor useful. But as i stated numerous times above i didnt feel to bring up the obvious again.

I asked my question because i was curious what other people think but it seems like its hard to find reasonable anwers. The toxicity boils up very quickly here.

I have absolutely no idea how you get to the conclusion that i hate the world of MSFS. This makes zero sense. I did ask a reasonable question what has that to do with hating anything? Don't know where that comes from....but hey...

Edited by ThomseN_inc
  • Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

5 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Well...as a non native english speaker  i was not aware i have to comply to cambridge's dictionary in order to use the term "eye candy". Seems to me some people take that word as an offense....dunno why.

The term "eye candy" has been used a lot in P3D discussions as describing something that may look pretty, but does not contribute anything to "serious flightsimming".

So yes, the term is provocative and quite frankly, the whole topic has been just that from the very beginning IMHO.. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The term "eye candy" has been used a lot in P3D discussions as describing something that may look pretty, but does not contribute anything to "serious flightsimming".

So yes, the term is provocative and quite frankly, the whole topic has been just that from the very beginning IMHO.. 😉

Can't tell....i never used P3D or its forums.

If you feel so, i'm sorry but my question remains valid...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

If you feel so, i'm sorry but my question remains valid...

Happy you feel that way.. 🙂

Bert

19 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Never ever did i say that the world in MSFS is not interesting nor useful.

If that's the case then:

1. I don't understand your original post, and my interpretation of your usage of the phrase "eye candy" is incorrect. Therefore please consider whatever I said earlier to be irrelevant 

2. I am not sure as to exactly what issue you are having or if you're really having an issue. But in case you have an issue, help the developers help you by reporting it through MSFS Zendesk: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Seems to me some people take that word as an offense....dunno why.

Probably because they are complying with the Cambridge dictionary? I don't know either, but rest assured I wasn't offended by something you said. If I were offended you would be in my forum ignore list long time ago.

Edited by EvidencePlz

2 minutes ago, EvidencePlz said:

If that's the case then:

1. I don't understand your original post, and my interpretation of your usage of the phrase "eye candy" is incorrect. Therefore please consider whatever I said earlier to be irrelevant 

2. I am not sure as to exactly what issue you are having or if you're really having an issue. But in case you have an issue, help the developers help you by reporting it through MSFS Zendesk: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Probably because they are complying with the Cambridge dictionary? I don't know either, but rest assured I wasn't offended by something you said. If I were offended you would be in my forum ignore list long time ago.

Well good then...

Actually i haven't got more issues than any other user here. The only intention of my OP was to find out about what people think MSFS is doing better than FSX, P3D or whatever sim. It was just a personal interest. I was intentionally leaving the graphics unconsidered because they are obviously (almost) flawless.

If i need to know what MSFS is doing great visually i look at screenshots or go fly myself.

Again thanks go out to the people who answered my question honestly and without any toxic sensations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, desbean said:

So I guess what you are saying is that the glass is not half full, it's half empty

Right now on my sim computer I am at 20,000 in my RealAir Turbine Duke V2 with AS16 weather, REX cloud textures, and a pair of RXP GTN 750's in the panel  I originally started this flight with a DA62 in MSFS and had constant connection errors like many experienced yesterday.  Became totally unflyable.  I saved the flight and restarted twice, rebooting the OS system each time.  I had flown my last 30 flights, some 66 hours, in MSFS. 

Today breaks that string, and from what I am enjoying right now may have broken that string for some time to come.  I will post some screenshots from the flight tomorrow.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Right now on my sim computer I am at 20,000 in my RealAir Turbine Duke V2 with AS16 weather, REX cloud textures, and a pair of RXP GTN 750's in the panel  I originally started this flight with a DA62 in MSFS and had constant connection errors like many experienced yesterday.  Became totally unflyable.  I saved the flight and restarted twice, rebooting the OS system each time.  I had flown my last 30 flights, some 66 hours, in MSFS. 

Today breaks that string, and from what I am enjoying right now may have broken that string for some time to come.  I will post some screenshots from the flight tomorrow.

TRAITOR! (just kidding 😄 )

So how does the jump back to p3D feels? I genuinely wonder as i dont have it anymore. (250Go SSD will never be enough)

12 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

So how does the jump back to p3D feels?

FSX SE

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere