Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ajaybala

X-Aviation licensing extreme workaround

Recommended Posts

Hi all. Just an update that i got my x-aviation license back but had to do a clean install of windows for that. Extreme, but i had all my games stored on non boot drives so I just had to verify them through their respective store apps. Just have to install some apps that's all. All in all not very painful. And no thanks to x-aviation. No help from their side. 

happy to be able to fly the TBM again. Looking into buying their SR22. 

Happy flying.


Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One must ask the question, why were your licenses locked in the first place, and why are you posting workarounds to have licenses unlocked??

The only reason I know of that licenses get locked is due to piracy. 

 

Edited by GoranM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what probably happened is that he locked out his own computer with the DRM process...and had to reinstall windows to get a new "machine ID" which would allow him to install on the accidentially locked machine. This is just speculation, of course.

Sometimes users lock themselves out by not quite understanding how the process of "only allow installation on three machines" work.

Cheers, Jan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoranM said:

One must ask the question, why were your licenses locked in the first place, and why are you posting workarounds to have licenses unlocked??

The only reason I know of that licenses get locked is due to piracy. 

 

yeah, we who get locked out are all pirates. thanks for the observation. This is a common problem. Also check the x-aviation forums for an in depth report of my issue. I am not explaining it again.  Also try not to judge other people without understanding their problems.

Edited by ajaybala
typo
  • Like 2

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its common sense that after reinstalling the OS, the DRM resets and sees the computer as a new one. This only works if one has bought a product and has one of the  the  "three activations" left in gizmo 64. I saw the gizmo tutorial video posted by xaviation and now hope to be more careful. It is not foolproof. I am a huge fool. 


Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually not a big fan of the DRM stuff.  I made no hardware changes recently but I had to disable a previous machine (the same PC I've always been on) to update my SR22 from Torquesim.  No idea why.

Edited by ryanbatcund

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ajaybala said:

yeah, we who get locked out are all pirates. thanks for the observation. This is a common problem. Also check the x-aviation forums for an in depth report of my issue. I am not explaining it again.  Also try not to judge other people without understanding their problems.

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt, instead of keeping it all to yourself, and enjoying your purchases again, you have now given pirates, who were caught sharing, a way to reset their activations...thereby making more work for X-Aviation.  Nicely played, sir.  I'll be sure to inform Ben Russell (DRM author) of this leak so it can be plugged for the next version.

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I made no hardware changes recently but I had to disable a previous machine (the same PC I've always been on) to update my SR22 from Torquesim.  No idea why.

Sometimes, a Windows update is significant enough to fool the DRM into thinking its a new OS.

Edited by GoranM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoranM said:

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt, instead of keeping it all to yourself, and enjoying your purchases again, you have now given pirates, who were caught sharing, a way to reset their activations...thereby making more work for X-Aviation.  Nicely played, sir.  I'll be sure to inform Ben Russell (DRM author) of this leak so it can be plugged for the next version.

Sometimes, a Windows update is significant enough to fool the DRM into thinking its a new OS.

That would explain it then.  I did update Windows recently.


|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GoranM said:

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt, instead of keeping it all to yourself, and enjoying your purchases again, you have now given pirates, who were caught sharing, a way to reset their activations...thereby making more work for X-Aviation.  Nicely played, sir.  I'll be sure to inform Ben Russell (DRM author) of this leak so it can be plugged for the next version.

Sometimes, a Windows update is significant enough to fool the DRM into thinking its a new OS.

As stated before, this can be done if genuine license exists with activations available. It does not increase the number of activations. No idea how pirates can benefit.


Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

That would explain it then.  I did update Windows recently.

And on another note, developers don't want to use DRM.  But if the alternative is to go broke, (which I have seen happen, many times), then it's a necessary evil we have to adopt.  

I know of a MSFS developer who lost his house, all his savings, his company, and, worst of all, his wife divorced him and got custody of their daughter...all because of his add ons getting pirated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajaybala said:

As stated before, this can be done if genuine license exists with activations available. It does not increase the number of activations. No idea how pirates can benefit.

I'm not going to go into details.  The very title of this thread leads to the solution of blocked licenses, followed by your very first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I'm not going to go into details.  The very title of this thread leads to the solution of blocked licenses, followed by your very first post.

Yes. on my main gaming computer which could not be used without changing hardware. What's next? Change hardware on the same computer to keep using it (new machine ID)? This is never ending. If my main gaming computer gets locked(i cant explain how maybe froze wrong machine), i need to get it unlocked. Cant keep buying the same software again or waiting upgrade the computer. This is a solution to get  legitimate software running on a the same pc on which it was always running. I cant change your perception. That's up to you. 

You will only end up making your already restrictive DRM a no-go solution.

Edited by ajaybala

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DRM allows 3 activations (1 per machine across 3 machines).  That's already more than many other developers allow.  You can NOT lock yourself out of an add on, on the PC on which the add on is running when you are de-authorizing another PC.  You will get a notification that you cannot do this, and it will simply not give you that option.
The DRM dates the activations and lists them by names that the user chooses.  In the vast majority of cases, the one to freeze or de-activate is the one with the oldest date.  This will only be asked of the user if the add on is getting activated on a 4th machine (why anyone would need the same add on, on 4 PC's is a bit of a mystery to me, but whatever) or if a Windows update has major changes to the OS.

The only way I know of, to lock yourself out of an add on, is to physically go to each computer, and de-activate the add on on the other computer.  Other than that, I'm stumped.

Edited by GoranM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd drop by and harsh on X-Aviations license scheme. Every time I start x-plane (admittedly, not that often), I have to relicense my aircraft. I've changed nothing; hardware-wise. And, it is a big pain. Beyond that, after a number of activations, you have to lock one of your previous activations. Every freak'n time.

I don't like it one bit and will not buy any more of their aircraft, as nice as these are.

There. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

  • Like 2

Richard Chafey

 

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA GTX1080Ti Sc - 3840x2160 Res - CH Fighterstick - CH Pro Throttle - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, P3D 5.1, DCS, X-Plane 11

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

I thought I'd drop by and harsh on X-Aviations license scheme. Every time I start x-plane (admittedly, not that often), I have to relicense my aircraft. I've changed nothing; hardware-wise. And, it is a big pain. Beyond that, after a number of activations, you have to lock one of your previous activations. Every freak'n time.

I don't like it one bit and will not buy any more of their aircraft, as nice as these are.

There. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

You DO realize there is an automated way to activate your licenses, right?  

This isn't rocket science.  We've received feedback from the community about what THEY want in a DRM, and still ensure the add ons security for developers AND for the customers.

And yes, I can explain further why it's limited to 3 activations and why YOU are in charge of those activations.

Edited by GoranM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    40%
    $10,200.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...