Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Anti stutter check list.

The ones marked with * should help prevent stutters on any system.

The ones not marked with * may or may prevent stutters on some systems, or make stutters worse on others.

I use all of these. I have no stutters, not even micro stutters.

1 Nvidia control panel:
‘Power Management Mode’ - change it from ‘Use global setting
(Optimal Power)’ to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’.

Nvidia control panel:
2  ‘Texture Filtering - Quality’ - change it from ‘Quality’ to ‘High Performance’

3 Windows Game Mode
(Start bar, type in ‘Game Mode’ to find the settings) - ensure the Game Mode option is ON.

4 * Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling
(same ‘Game Mode’ menu) right hand side menu: ‘Graphics settings’.
‘Hardware- accelerated GPU Scheduling’. ON
(is a feature added to windows 10 updates and was designed in order to reduce latency)

5 * ‘Game Mode’ menu (again)
click on ‘Captures’ from the left-hand side to
open up a new menu. Turn OFF ‘Background recording’.

(Why would you want Windows always recording your game video in the background on the assumption you might want to do something with the recording)?

6 Windows Task Manger ctl alt del: Set flightsimulator.exe to HIGH priority. (I'm not convinced #6 helps, but some people say it does).

===============================

#2 should always help with stutters but might reduce image quality in some way.

(It's hard for me to believe that #3 is not always a good thing for fighting stutters, but some people say it isn't, so I did not put a * there).

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Good suggestions. Another one to try is setting low latency mode in NVCP to on or ultra.

Good list, except for me #6 makes it worse. 

(R9 3900X / RTX 3070).

Another thing, Windows 1903/1909 version has a bug where sometimes Windows will deprioritize Flight Simulator in favor of background apps when Flight Simulator window is selected. This caused massive stutters. If you click on a background app and keep FS in the background performance goes up again. Upgrading to Windows 2004 fixed the problem for me. (Although it introduced another issue where I'm not allowed to move or copy things out of the Community folder on the MS Store version of the sim, only delete or move/copy things into the folder.)

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

13 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

Good list, except for me #6 makes it worse. 

(R9 3900X / RTX 3070).

I haven been using #6 for some time now and gain a few fps and less stutters. But it's certainly a complex matter and depends on so many factors (Windows settings, background programs, MSFS settings, Bios settings, Hardware of course and whatnot)  that I can only suggest trying it and reject it if it doesn't help or even worsens performance.

Fortunately, trying it doesn't "destroy" anything in the program.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

18 hours ago, pmb said:

I haven been using #6 for some time now and gain a few fps and less stutters. But it's certainly a complex matter and depends on so many factors (Windows settings, background programs, MSFS settings, Bios settings, Hardware of course and whatnot)  that I can only suggest trying it and reject it if it doesn't help or even worsens performance.

Kind regards, Michael 

Absolutely. I added my specs so people would see what kind of system I use.

Probably works great on many others.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

22 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael 

#6 certainly helps here. Got a bit less stuttering compared to Normal Priority. Anyway I'm hoping at some point Asobo will figure out what happened with Update 7.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I followed this checklist with the exception of #6 - Windows Task Manager.  I use the Process Lasso Pro to set the priority and monitor my CPU usage during a flight.  Since I set this up I haven't even had any micro stutters.  Working perfectly for me.  Thanks.

Thanks for this Fielder.

I was driven mad by stutters after the last update but this has smoothed it out for me.

Did everything on your list aprt from #6

Cheers

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I tried everything to smooth the stutters. In addition to the list above the only 2 things that really made a difference for me are:

1. Turn on XMP profile in BIOS to boost RAM

2 NVidia Inspector-set maximum pre-rendered frames to 3 or 4 in combination with NCP low latency mode ON. V-sync off everywhere.

My stuttering was occurring mainly on the ground while taxiing. I'm getting 55 to 60 fps 90% of the time but still had stutters. These 2 items have almost completely eliminated those stutters.

I run mostly high with a few medium settings at 1440p i9-9900K 2080ti. 

YMMV but worth a try.

10 hours ago, Bunchy said:

Did everything on your list aprt from #6

An alternate to setting it there is to go to Windows 10 Graphics Settings -> Graphics Performance Preference -> Select MSFS and set it to High Performance.

6 hours ago, Baron_09 said:

I tried everything to smooth the stutters. In addition to the list above the only 2 things that really made a difference for me are:

1. Turn on XMP profile in BIOS to boost RAM

2 NVidia Inspector-set maximum pre-rendered frames to 3 or 4 in combination with NCP low latency mode ON. V-sync off everywhere.

Low latency mode on makes that parameter = 2. It should be off if you want it to be 3 or 4, otherwise you will not know who prevails between NVCP and Inspector.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Another tidbit for Steam users.

7. Reduce the Steam client in the background.

Make a copy of your Steam client shortcut and modify one of them.

This is what he types in the Target box of Properties to modify:

C:\Steam\Steam.exe -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist

It works for me, reduces Steam overhead as reported in taskmanger, does open a tinier steam client window box, and MSFS runs fine. Not sure if there is any improvement on my system

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Did the check list.
Negative, Absolute no change.
Microstutters always there.

30fps fixed.

Ryzen7 3800X
2080Ti
32GB ram
Win updated, Drivers updated, 60fps buttersmooth in GTAV, DeathStranding, any other "heavy" games.

Edited by Alberto Zanot

One thing you need to add to the list

7* Remove MSFS 2020 from you hard drive

That should do it.

Regards

• Like 1

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2