Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Any Oculus Users Having Success?

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

I’d tried it with oculus app open, and with steam vr open. So far, no luck getting it to recognize oculus hmds.

I’ve - yuck - decided to fly with my WMR headset for a while. Works fine, performance is poor as expected so you need to turn the rendered pixels down to below native, which does make everything blurry.

As for the black artifact on the screen, yes that’s commonly reported and you’re meant to turn the stencilling option off in the oculus debug tool to fix it (did that before i started, so hasn’t been a problem for me).

For the (?minority) of oculus users who have this working well, let us know if there’s any parameters/variables that the rest of us might need to alter.

I've got it working now with the Rift CV1. I had to do the Regedit change  How to install OpenXR – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)  and I changed both the (default) path and the Active runtime path to: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json.   

The active runtime path had been set to launch Steam openxr on my system and MSFS would launch both Steam VR and Oculus whenever I enabled VR in MSFS. It must have been the Steam openxr that was causing the problems because now MSFS only launches Oculus and I'm properly in MSFS VR right away and the distorted views when turning my head and other problems are gone 🙂 

Looks like airport, road, and sea traffic density around 50% is going to be okay for me. I've got most rendering stuff on medium - high, 80% on that resolution (first) category. It seems pretty smooth so far, is less shimmery for me than Xplane VR, and of course the lighting engine is much better than Xplane as well. It looks promising so far. 

System:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900F CPU

32GB RAM

GeForce RTX 2070 Super

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I've tried the Rift S and the Quest 2 (via Link). In both cases, MSFS says "Error: headset not detected" when I try to switch to VR mode.

Anyone else got this working with an Oculus HMD?

Yup. Same here. I have the Rift S and I get the same 'headset not detected' message.

1 hour ago, Gerwil said:

With the help of this post I got the CV1 working perfectly:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/oculus-vr-not-working-any-help/338279

I had to make a change the registry so FS finds the correct runtime and aplied to the beta of the Oculus software to cure the artifact.

Yes! Thank you! Works perfectly now. Sad that we had to make registry changes to get this working but what the heck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlightSimDimm said:

Unfortunately, Not working for me. I have an Steam version of MS20202, Oculus Quest v1, using OculusLink. I see just yellow light in the headset but the flat screen shows that it is tracking my head movements.

Anyone get the Oculus Quest v1 working?

Thanks for the tips. I finally got it to work by turning HDR off in the Windows display setting.

From the comments here and elsewhere, i’d say that VR is (vety) poorly implemented for non-WMR headsets. 

I’m still flying using WMR, but will get back to troubleshooting my Oculus this evening.

Some of the advice here may not be entirely clear to users, This thread sets out the known issues with VR, and the various fixes: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-vr-known-issues-workarounds/337930

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 hours ago, Flying Fisherman said:

Occulus Rift CV1 user here. I have the Steam version of the simulator and have Steam VR 1.15.15 installed.

I've got a bit further than you. I can actually get into VR if I launch Steam VR prior to launching MSFS. But the main menu screens are warping strangely when I move my head from side to side. Same thing while in the cockpit. Everything distorts strangely when moving my view.  I've also got jitters as well. Not really useable this way and sure hope this isn't how it's supposed to be!

Same for me on Quest 1 and Link

Bit of an update - all this has helped me.

If you've ever used the Oculus Debug Tool or Tray Tool to modify settings, try putting all their settings back to default and then restart the Oculus PC app.

In MSFS, in the VR graphics options, reset the settings to default, even if you have never altered them since the update ( this made a huge impact on my system)

I'm finding that entering the MSFS menu to do anything at all, causes severe VR jitters from that point on and then need to restart game to fix it.

Only turn on VR once on the runway and don't toggle it off (or you will likely introduce the jitters)

hope it's of some help

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

Someone on Discord mentioned they got an Oculus update when they toggled beta test channel off/on which fixed the warping Jello head movement. I just tried and it has updated for me too even though I had the latest v24. It appeared to do two updates of the Oculus App but no headset update from what I can see. It's a little more stable and slightly better FPS. I can now toggle VR on off and change menu settings without causing significant jitters. It's still got some weird flashes of random frames etc, but it's better.

Strangely, after the Oculus update the registry reverted back to the steam .json file and I had to redirect it again. 

If you need to edit the path, it's as below

1. Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.
2. Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
3. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
4. For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: for Oculus headsets, the default path is shown below):
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json
5. Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

Edited by dogmanbird

4 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

Strangely, after the Oculus update the registry reverted back to the steam .json file and I had to redirect it again. 

If you need to edit the path, it's as below

1. Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.
2. Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
3. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
4. For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: for Oculus headsets, the default path is shown below):
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json
5. Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

I'm not sure if running regedit as an admin would to keep the change persistent? At any rate, worth doing.

For those watching at home, this is the change that needs to be made if you're getting the "no headset detected" error. Thanks Dogman for your series of posts covering the various errors.

I've been flying with my Rift S this evening. With the registry edit, stencil off, openXR installed and the Oculus app updated and set to the 'public test channel' option, all works well. Next up, i'm going to try out the Quest 2.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

No probs - hope the other headsets work too. I'm keen to know which you prefer.

Edited by dogmanbird

I have Oculus Rift and can't seem to get it working with MSFS although it works with my XPlane no problem. Ctrl+Tab doesn't work, so I go to the General Menu, and Select "Switch to VR". It asks me to Reset View which works, but then I can't get back to the game and other menus. I also can't see the buttons for the Bindings for VR Mode. Am I missing something?

15 minutes ago, KiwiMatt77 said:

I have Oculus Rift and can't seem to get it working with MSFS although it works with my XPlane no problem. Ctrl+Tab doesn't work, so I go to the General Menu, and Select "Switch to VR". It asks me to Reset View which works, but then I can't get back to the game and other menus. I also can't see the buttons for the Bindings for VR Mode. Am I missing something?

Its flakey as hell....next time try this.(Youll need to either have a Touch Controller on or XBOX controller(Oculus Home Button Mapped) 

When you hit spacebar and recenter for the sim's VR mode you need to also recenter your HMD via Oculus Home button.

This is how I got it to work when it happened to me

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2