Sign in to follow this  
RodgerC

Community Folder and Updates

Before the next update arrives, could someone please explain what the process is in where and how to move the Community folder prior to updating the sim.  Seems that this may have been my problem during the last update.  Just want to make sure to limit the damage after an update.  Don't want to do another 2 reinstalls to get the sim working again.  Thanks.

I rename the "Community" folder to "Community.off" and make a new one "Community". That's it. (More precisely, I made a couple of batches doing the renaming back and forth.)

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Depends on where your community folder is.

If it is a steam install or you have relocated it for the MS install just make a copy.

if it is a default MS install you need to do something like zip the files up as they are protected.

A better solution is install addon linker and just disable all addons in the linker before the update.

TO make my life easier, I have a shortcut to the Community folder on my desktop.  I drag everything out of it to a 'temp' folder until the update has been installed and verified to not CTD on loading the sim. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Depends on where your community folder is.

If it is a steam install or you have relocated it for the MS install just make a copy.

if it is a default MS install you need to do something like zip the files up as they are protected.

A better solution is install addon linker and just disable all addons in the linker before the update.

Glen.
Agree with your recommendation for the freeware Addon Linker app.  In the case of the Community folder with a MS Store installation the only protected addons I have had are those that were purchased, like the Drzewiecki Washington, DC mod.  All of the others I could move in and out of my Community folder at will before I adopted the Addon Linker app.  The only occasional issue I had were errors due to the length of the Windows pathname foldername filenames exceeding the Windows limitation.  In those cases I just edited down the folder and filename names to shorten the links.

Addon Linker is a must have!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

+1 for the MSFS Addon Linker.  It creates symbolic links (part of the OS file system and transparent to the sim) from another folder holding all your addons, into the Community folder.  Turning addons on and off takes one click and is fast no files are copied, just links created and removed.  Easy and quick. 

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I really think people overcomplicate this.

Like MB says above, if you don't use the addon linker, it takes just a second to rename the community folder to something like 'Community.old', and then rename it straight back after the update.

Simples!  🙂

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I really think people overcomplicate this.

Like MB says above, if you don't use the addon linker, it takes just a second to rename the community folder to something like 'Community.old', and then rename it straight back after the update.

Simples!  🙂

I agree, and software like this "addon linker" just Rube Goldberg what is an essentially simple process.

Edited by Ricardo41

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I agree, and software like this "addon linker" just Rube Goldberg what is an essentially simple process.

You are not understand the scope of what Addon Linker does and can do.  As an example, allow me to explain why and how I use, and for years have used, SceneryConfig Editor for FSX.  With FSX I use a great deal of high res photo real scenery.  Due to utilization of system resources, OOM bongs, and CTD's, I learned to use the sceneryconfig editor to make active only those areas I needed for each individual flight.  Made (still makes)  a huge difference. 

The Addon Linker does much the same for MSFS with Community folder addons and mods.  While school may be out on how a ton of Community folder contents may affect MSFS, both in performance and in-flight reliability, use of a tool such as Addon Linker without a doubt manages what the sim is seeing and responding to at a given point of time, or for a given flight.  Managing day-to-day, flight-to-flight selections takes only seconds. Invaluable.

It is not just for withdrawing and then repositioning Community folder contents for safety during updates.  For me and most others it is about managing day-to-day contents, resources, and performance.  As Linda Ronstadt sang.... "it's so easy to fall in love"... 

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

+1 for the MSFS Addon Linker, I'm surprised that not all use this excellent tool.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Have you actually tried this program? Addon Linker does more than just copy or delete symbolic links. Do yourself a favor and try it for a few days. It's free, too.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

9 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Have you actually tried this program? Addon Linker does more than just copy or delete symbolic links. Do yourself a favor and try it for a few days. It's free, too.

I have tried the Addon Linker program but for some reason I can't get any of my addons in the left column to get a green indicator.  They all remain red and I just can't seem to get the program to work.  Thanks to everyone who has replied.  Much appreciated.

53 minutes ago, RodgerC said:

I have tried the Addon Linker program but for some reason I can't get any of my addons in the left column to get a green indicator.  They all remain red and I just can't seem to get the program to work.  Thanks to everyone who has replied.  Much appreciated.

Tools > Options. Are you setting the correct location for the Community folder? And "Colorize (green) enabled folders" is checked?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

13 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Also try right click and :"Run as Administrator".

Do that everytime I open it and nothing changes.