Sign in to follow this  
Amon1973

Flight control Replay For MSFS is released

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I went into the folder and started the msfs version, and I got the ctd when I started the replay after clicking "fly"

Same thing happened to me.  Telluride to Aspen (man the weather is rough up there today) recorded from T almost to Aspen and bailed to see if it really recorded as the first go it did not.  Looked OK, files in correct directory.  Select Load...filename...it appeared to load but no a/c in sight.  A/C came into view and CTD.

For the curious developer: Not only do I bang out somewhat efficient properly threaded applications when I need something that no one makes (or is too costly), admittedly in VB.Net and Powershell primarily, but I do so because I've been (pick your title) a systems architect, admin, IT Director, etc. etc. during the last 27 years of my life.  Those are behind me and I'm self employed now so yes I am aware of how to install, add pre-reqs (except link for DX10 is depreciated) and run the correct application.  I will add said application executed with elevation to Administrator rights as per the guide.  Chicken sacrificed, blood on forehead, I set about my business.

Application launches fine and connect to MSFS 2020.  Great beginning.  I click Options to configure save directory, etc.  Once there I cannot choose any hotkeys or controls, no big deal there is a GUI...also cannot choose REC device besides my USB DAC cable for instrument input and FP mic, neither of which supply audio for MSFS 2020.  I successfully set one of my spinning disks to save FCR files to and leave all else alone, but to be fair I don't have much choice with these options static or missing what I'd expect to be available selections.  

Using Replay worked fine while on the ramp and is a welcome feature for those moments we all wish we could take back.  Anything else was questionable as I am unable to play back what was recorded and so have no clue the fidelity of playback, etc.  The app appears to have potential and certainly lofty goals;  it was these that enticed me to purchase this 3 weeks ago to save a couple of bucks and support your efforts.  I don't care for P3D and FSX occupies a warm place in my heart, and there it shall remain.  MSFS 2020 is the future of simulation for me.  It would be good to see some rapid fixes for the low hanging fruit sir.

Refunds have been discussed but I am not going to request despite being a bit disappointed and I advise you all to stay the course as well.  Certainly the man deserves time to quash these bugs...I love Asobo's product and because of that give them until I pass on to fix some of the bugs infesting it LOL.

I do expect a "Replay" I can use in the not too distant future though Fabio as no doubt others who find it unusable do as well.  In the meantime, toss one back and launch VS2019, MSFS and FCR.  Attach debugger and step into it sir!   

Salut

Edited by badgenes
stupidity, etc
  • Upvote 1

In an old 2016 review "My only tiny issue is when replaying footage, I don't seem to be able to hide of remove the replay overlay text."

Can any of you confirm in the MSFS version that the recordings don't show an imprint an overlay message on top of the video?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I cannot get this program to work. I start recording, but when i stop recording and click load, the airplane goes back to the beginning of my recording, and I get the "fly" button in the lower right corner. The sim crashes before I can click it. Happens 100% of the time. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it after trying to install all of the pre-requisites, but the 2010 directx is no longer available from microsoft. I should have the rest installed, however the .net framework 3.5 file called dotNetFx35setup.exe doesnt trigger any window. Ive tried to run it several times without any sign of anything happening.

Getting frustrated. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

How long can it playback? I recorded a flight for 10min, the playback just like half it, any limitation on the playback time?

Edit: I tested again, I am pretty sure there is a limitation on the playback time, I still get less playback than I recorded (the moment when I clicked stop recording), can Fabio confirm this?

Edited by omarsmak30

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

18 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I cannot get this program to work. I start recording, but when i stop recording and click load, the airplane goes back to the beginning of my recording, and I get the "fly" button in the lower right corner. The sim crashes before I can click it. Happens 100% of the time. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it after trying to install all of the pre-requisites, but the 2010 directx is no longer available from microsoft. I should have the rest installed, however the .net framework 3.5 file called dotNetFx35setup.exe doesnt trigger any window. Ive tried to run it several times without any sign of anything happening.

Getting frustrated. 

If you are running Windows 10 Andreas goto Start...Settings...Apps...Programs and Features (upper right)...Turn Windows Features On or Off...

.Net 3.5 is at the top.  Check the box to install the latest version (no patching required).

FWIW I had the exact same issue twice and moved on for the time being.  I'll go back and do some basic troubleshooting a bit later but given that's the more tedious aspect of my work I'm procrastinating.  Once I start I'll obsess until I either determine the cause, compile enough data to help the developer determine the cause, decompile the exe and look for the issue myself or otherwise make some headway if at all possible.  TBH I am not in the mood today and it may wait until tomorrow.  Hoping Fabio drops in and recognizes the issue from beta testing.  Have you posted on simflight FCR forum yet?  I've not yet but eventually will.  We are in the midst of much colder weather where I live than is typical with snow / sleet coming soon.  We only have this sort of extreme winter weather once every 5 or so years so I'm also occupied preparing for the worst, sorry I'm not more help at the moment.

8 minutes ago, badgenes said:

If you are running Windows 10 Andreas goto Start...Settings...Apps...Programs and Features (upper right)...Turn Windows Features On or Off...

.Net 3.5 is at the top.  Check the box to install the latest version (no patching required).

Ah thank you. It was already installed. 

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/90136-v45-microsoft-flight-simulator-flightcontrolreplay-v45-compatible-with-microsoft-flight-simulator-with-enhanced-version/?do=findComment&comment=556418

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Forgot to tell you that DX10 is as well however to confirm:

Right click Start, click Run, enter dxdiag and hit ENTER

Sorry man, as mentioned shoring up the bulkheads, etc.  

If you see DX12 in the field for DX Version, you are good.  If you saw DX11, still good.  DX12 encompasses DX10 libraries so you should be all good as DX12 is include in the most recent feature update rev of 10.  DX9 and prior DO require installation though.

• Upvote 1

I've just spent an hour playing with this after purchasing it and, to be honest, at this point I'm distinctly unimpressed.

At first the game crashed as soon as I started FSR.   But that ended up being because I ran the "standard" binary, and not the one for MSFS.   Once I got past that, things looked OK, I started a quick flight and recorded it.   I went to play it back and...   CTD.   Again.   I started up again and, based on advice in the manual, turned multiplayer off and set my traffic to zero.   This time I was able to get a replay to start!

My pleasure was short-lived, however.  The actual quality of the replay disappointed me.   I started the flight with a control check, and watching back the replay I could hardly see my controls moving at all, and when they did move it was in extremely course increments, leaping from one position to another.   Further into the replay I did a snap aileron roll to see how good the recorder was at capturing rapid attitude changes.  It's...  not.   It seemed to completely elide my roll from the recorded flight in almost its entirety and I just twitched in one direction then the other.

I went into the settings and changed the sample rate setting from Auto to 6 and tried another flight.   This one was no better -- in fact, it was worse.   For some reason this playback went as though the game was running at about 15fps.  Not great.     I gave it one more try, for the heck of it, setting the sample rate to "Frame Per Seconds" with a value of 60.  This looked no different from the first run.

Just to make sure that there wasn't something wrong with this particular plane or airport or what have you, I fired up FSPlayground, which I have been using a lot and fairly satisfied with, in the same spot and made a similar test flight.   FSPlayground, true to my experience, captured my control check with full movements that still stuttered a little, but only ever so slightly.   It also captured my roll with perfect accuracy.

FSR arguably has a better interface, if you don't mind the Windows XP / Fisher Price chunky style.   It's at least more straight forward,. even if it's no less unattractive.   But that's about the only thing going for it based on my testing.  In terms of stability and the ability to perform its core role, recording a flight, FSPlayground definitely surpasses it.   I don't know what the maximum sample rate of FSR is, but FSPlayground defaults to 40ms samples.   If the best that FSR can do is 1/6 of a second, that's about one fourth the resolution that FSPlayground has

I'm not going to ask for a refund yet.  And maybe I'm doing something wrong and it's possible to get fluid recordings out of this.   But, right now, my advice if you were going to buy a flight recorder would be to give this a miss and go with FSPlayground.  It's a bit cluttered but it works.

• Like 2

(And that's without even touching on the fact that the video recorder spews an error message from the codec when I try to turn it on.  Or the rather annoying way it takes you out to the "Fly Now" screen when you stop a playback.   Or the difference, from what I saw, between "record" and "replay" modes -- FSPlayground lets you record and "instant replay" from the same interface.  I never used FSR in previous sims, but since it seems to have been around for a while I assume it's been a halfway decent product in them.   Hopefully these are just New World teething pains and it will improve with time.)

• Like 1