Sign in to follow this  
737_800

MSFS crashes new system unstable

Hi,

I have setup a brandnew system (i9 10850k, 32GB@ 4000Mhz, RTX3090), however I get CTD after a while in MSFS. Sometimes it just crashes the sim and I return back to desktop. Just even, it's caused a restart (bluesreen). It seems like that Adobe Premiere Pro is not running stable as well. I just don't have any idea where to start. Should I update my BIOS? Using MSI MNG Z490 Gaming Plus Mobo.Or are there any setting I have to check there? I had XMP enabled.

Any ideas are more than welcome, since I have no clue and my FSX tweeking experience is now quite in the past.

I would suspect memory.  Try not using XMP.

cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Could it be something else? How can I test my RAM or other compotents to exclude that there is anything damanged? Becaue everything is new. My RAM actually supports XMP.

Edited by 737_800

34 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Could it be something else? How can I test my RAM or other compotents to exclude that there is anything damanged? Becaue everything is new. My RAM actually supports XMP.

Check your temps..  if your not set to limit frame rates in any way, it is just possible that your GPU/CPU/MEM or Motherboard may be hitting a temp limit and then briefly dropping out to try and cool.  

The 3090 and the i9 both like to run hot, but not too hot...    as an example, my system (specs below) will quite happily run at 85 centigrade on the graphics card and locking the framerate to 45 in the Radeon software keeps that nice and stable with the fans running below max..  but if I leave it at unlimited, then slowly the temp starts to climb when its attempting to run at 65 - 70 FPS until it's very close to shutdown temps.

I use NZXT software to monitor the CPU and GPU temps and loads and also monitor the fan speeds in a little ribbon at the bottom of the screen.

I'm not sure what settings you are using, but if you are not limiting FPS, try doing so and monitoring temps.

Graham

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

It might not be your system at all. If you have and scenery in your Community folder the sim will be prone to crash. Yep, Asobo/MS have done it again....

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 minute ago, RaptyrOne said:

It might not be your system at all. If you have and scenery in your Community folder the sim will be prone to crash. Yep, Asobo/MS have done it again....

This is certainly an issue since the last update, but he also mentioned getting a bluescreen with a full system restart. That sounds more like a hardware issue.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Yep no addons installed.

Temps are fine, I guess. 2 Screenshot over NYC. Temps are good?

msfs1zgjgh.jpg msfs2ggj7z.jpg

Should I update my BIOS? Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't work reliable too!

Hi there, it's always a good thing to have the latest bios with a brandnew CPU. When I had crashes and bluescreens during gaming, it turned out my PSU back then wasn't up for the new components. Your I9 and a RTX 3090 are consuming a lot of power under stress, so worth a check.

Good luck

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

34 minutes ago, Micko said:

it turned out my PSU back then wasn't up for the new components.

I suspect it's this - also make sure you have two dedicated pcie powers cables connected directly from the PSU to the video card.

If you're overclocking, make sure you stabilize your voltage settings because the sim will really push your memory subsystem (even if you thought you had stable vcore and memory voltage settings, they may not be).

I would tend to think that if Premiere is not liking your PC as well as MSFS, then it's likely not MSFS itself which is the issue, or if it is, then maybe a streaming option setting. Premiere is pretty stable and tends to only be flaky on the occasional patched release and even then normally gets sorted PDQ. I had Premiere render a 7Gb video file last night of 1 hour 11 minutes running time at 1080, and it did so not problem. Premiere normally goes unresponsive on lack of memory rather than crashing, although be aware that most Adobe aps have app preferences and file preferences too; file preferences override the main app settings when a file is open (depends on whether you have a file open or not as to which you are tweaking), so make sure both are okay and ensure that you still have some memory allocated to the OS rather than all of it to the app. Check to see if there is a hardware conflict too; some USB devices can cause system instability, such as USB headphones freaking the audio hardware settings out and so on.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

EDIT: I think I have solved it.

Premiere just did not work, because the program window had been outside my screen. I think that has couased the crash. MSFS wise, I don't know. I have XMP enabled again, and its has been working fine for the last couple of hours. I just need to see, if there that solved the problem or not. I hope it did.

• Upvote 1

Yea, are you already overclocking?

Disable XMP if you are overclocking and set your values manually

Ram check your sticks to see if there are any bad chips (which is rare these days as chips and ram manufacturers do tests to it), also RAM check for your overclocking.

Sometimes your ram speed (MHZ) maybe causing the CTDs too or not enough voltage for RAM and CPU.

I build my own PCs (apart from the one running MSFS) so I have decent knowledge (but I'm certainly no expert). I would also echo the advice to disable XMP. I thought it was wise to use it as my PC fully supports it, but things were definitely less stable in MSFS whilst I had it enabled. No guarantee that's the problem but I'm obviously not the only one who has come to that conclusion.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)