No. of World Objects - Max

Reflections - One notch up

Visual Effects - One notch down

Textures - One notch down

AA - In the middle

FA - In the middle 

Shadows - on

Vulkan - on

OrbX and posh airports. Clear sky's. Default Cessna.

Example:

Flying around EGGD I'm getting around 50fps Linux and 45fps Windows

Looks like I am seeing better performance. Guess the mileage would vary. 

Not yet tried with the default 172. 

My test was using the X-trident Bell 412.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Just now, HumptyDumpty said:

Looks like I am seeing better performance. Guess the mileage would vary. 

Not yet tried with the default 172. 

My test was using the X-trident Bell 412.

I'm guessing it varies according to hardware?

4 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I'm guessing it varies according to hardware?

No idea, probably my gpu drivers are doing a better job than the nvidia ? 

But only more usage under linux would give me a better picture.  

Let me know if you manage to get DCS to run. not that I would use it in linux , its just that I wanted to try it.

Edited by HumptyDumpty

59 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Let me know if you manage to get DCS to run.

I bottled out of the install. I got a Windows window with all my disks listed with their Windows names asking where I wanted to install it! There was no option to install it on my Linux HDD! 😥

At any rate - an improvement of 10 to 20% may be worth the hassle. It is a long way from the claims of mSparks, but it certainly is better than nothing. If you run at 18 fps (invalid low fps) a 10% boost would get you back into the legal range (19+ fps).

However, if you run at 50fps, going to 55 may not be that big of a deal.

Still - 20% would surprise me and would be a reason to look into trying Linux.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I bottled out of the install. I got a Windows window with all my disks listed with their Windows names asking where I wanted to install it! There was no option to install it on my Linux HDD! 😥

You need to set the Steam Folders from Settings and it will install it in that folder.

Managed to start DCS > Instant Action , but it stays on loading screen forever :) 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

2 minutes ago, Janov said:

At any rate - an improvement of 10 to 20% may be worth the hassle. It is a long way from the claims of mSparks, but it certainly is better than nothing. If you run at 18 fps (invalid low fps) a 10% boost would get you back into the legal range (19+ fps).

However, if you run at 50fps, going to 55 may not be that big of a deal.

Still - 20% would surprise me and would be a reason to look into trying Linux.

yep. But as I said , if more users can test it then one would get a fair idea what to expect. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

21 minutes ago, Janov said:

At any rate - an improvement of 10 to 20% may be worth the hassle.

Trust me. It isn't. It really isn't.😂😂

It's an illusion because most people won't notice it unless they are obsessed with FPS and can't stop staring at an FPS counter.  And they will have to do without some of their most valuable addons. But it's fun to try it out if you have a nostalgia for DOS. Any gain in FPS will make little difference to the deficiencies XP has with regard to how it looks.

The trick is, that I've found with any sim, is never to bother to look at your FPS and just to get it running to your liking and enjoy it. 😀

Edited by jarmstro

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Trust me. It isn't. It really isn't.😂😂

It's an illusion because most people won't notice it unless they are obsessed with FPS and can't stop staring at an FPS counter.  And they will have to do without some of their most valuable addons. But it's fun to try it out if you have a nostalgia for DOS. Any gain in FPS will make little difference to the deficiencies XP has with regard to how it looks.

The trick is, that I've found with any sim, is never to bother to look at your FPS and just to get it running to your liking and enjoy it. 😀

Agreed ,  this was just a test of what is the difference between the OS's when using XP.  

Now have you tried that Folder Settings in Steam where it can download DCS ?  This won't take 20 pages don't worry :biggrin: 

8 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Agreed ,  this was just a test of what is the difference between the OS's when using XP.  

Now have you tried that Folder Settings in Steam where it can download DCS ?  This won't take 20 pages don't worry :biggrin: 

Steam? I don't have Steam? 

9 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Steam? I don't have Steam? 

AH ok, thought you are using steam.

That Lutris didn't install for me btw. Though I did point it to the linux disk but it failed.  

I do have my windows DCS stand alone , but that actually crashes after the login. Maybe I will try it again later.

27 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

AH ok, thought you are using steam.

That Lutris didn't install for me btw. Though I did point it to the linux disk but it failed.  

I do have my windows DCS stand alone , but that actually crashes after the login. Maybe I will try it again later.

Well it's great fun fiddling around in Linux. It really is. But if you want to see what Windows can really do with regard to performance and visuals I would suggest you try MSFS. Then there is truly no comparison, Linux or not.😀 MSFS is light years ahead.

21 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Well it's great fun fiddling around in Linux. It really is. But if you want to see what Windows can really do with regard to performance and visuals I would suggest you try MSFS. Then there is truly no comparison, Linux or not.😀 MSFS is light years ahead.

I have MSFS , yes it's visually way ahead.

I still dont see GPU/CPU times here, this is why they matter

CPU TIME, GPU Time, FPS

0.1 , 0.001, 10

0.1 , 0.01, 10

0.1 , 0.1, 10

0.01 , 0.1, 10

0.001 , 0.1, 10

0.01 , 0.001, 100

0.001 , 0.001, 1000

______

Ignoring the CPU/GPU times it is really easy to be left thinking a change had no effect, when actually the change reduced the potential FPS from 1000 frames a second to 10 frames per second, compounded by sometimes a change not actually kicking in until the next time you restart (and some changes hitting both).

This FPS is more than just the result of using Linux

S9dpwnK.png

Its from fairly precise tuning of CPU/GPU load to evenly balance the times and cutting out things that I found to be unnecessarily hitting performance.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

31 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I still dont see GPU/CPU times here, this is why they matter

CPU TIME, GPU Time, FPS

0.1 , 0.001, 10

0.1 , 0.01, 10

0.1 , 0.1, 10

0.01 , 0.1, 10

0.001 , 0.1, 10

0.01 , 0.001, 100

0.001 , 0.001, 1000

______

Ignoring the CPU/GPU times it is really easy to be left thinking a change had no effect, when actually the change reduced the potential FPS from 1000 frames a second to 10 frames per second, compounded by sometimes a change not actually kicking in until the next time you restart (and some changes hitting both).

This FPS is more than just the result of using Linux

S9dpwnK.png

Its from fairly precise tuning of CPU/GPU load to evenly balance the times and cutting out things that I found to be unnecessarily hitting performance.

Pointless though? My monitor only refreshes at 70hz and I can't detect any difference above about 24fps? In XP the hope is that extra FPS will allow the Reflections slider to be moved up and for shadows to be turned on etc.

LR were true to their word and for me Vulkan eliminated any stuttering even down to 20fps.

The trouble is that the shadows are hideous and that reflections tank the FPS way beyond any gain.😂 I'll not even mention ai traffic and volumetric clouds....No matter how high the FPS you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.😂

Edited by jarmstro