make

For the old version

git clone https://github.com/mSparks43/Enhanced-Cloudscapes-Engine.git
cd Enhanced-Cloudscapes-Engine/
git submodule init
git submodule update
cp -R ../Volumetric-Clouds/SDK/ SDK
make

for the new one (assuming git clone called from the same folder for VC and ECE - a cd .. after the first make)

Thanks, but it don't work. 

It was a try so it's ok back on windows. Maybe in future it will be possible with mesa

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

13 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I was just trying if EC would have worked with Mesa in Vulkan , maybe they will release a driver, not yet tried amd proprietory ones as installing them is a pita.

How they're supposed to implement a fix if they don't know what's wrong in the first place? Bug reporting is a major pillar of open source software development and nobody's exempt from fulfilling that duty.

Alternatively, you could simply get another GPU (an easy thing to say in today's market conditions, I know). NVidia's drivers are boring, but relatively trouble-free and Enhanced Cloudscapes works just fine on my Mesa-driven AMD 6900XT.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 hours ago, Bjoern said:

How they're supposed to implement a fix if they don't know what's wrong in the first place? Bug reporting is a major pillar of open source software development and nobody's exempt from fulfilling that duty.

Alternatively, you could simply get another GPU (an easy thing to say in today's market conditions, I know). NVidia's drivers are boring, but relatively trouble-free and Enhanced Cloudscapes works just fine on my Mesa-driven AMD 6900XT.

Ofc all development has bug reporting , but if I knew  to report  then I would.

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Bash script to color correct orthophoto (BI_16 - change that line if you use something else)

for l in */
do 
cd "$l"
for k in */
do 
cd "$k"
cd "BI_16"
for j in *.jpg
do 
  echo "$l$k$j"
  convert -brightness-contrast -10x40 "$j" "$j"
done
cd ..
cd ..
done
cd ..
done

Run from the Orthophotos/ folder, dds files should be created afterwards. I might incorporate this into my ortho4XP fork next time I make some.

AutoATC Developer

I have just built my new rig after 40 yrs of Off-the-Shelf" stuff with the purpose of minimzing Microsoft use and going Linux/VR

New Hardware: Asus B550-F. 5800X3D, 6950xt/16g, DDR4-3600/16g, SSD#1-WDblk sn770 2TB (fast PCI-gen4 slot),  ssd#2-Samsung 970 EVO-plus-2TB (PCI-3slot),  SSD#3-WDblu-sata 1TB,   Drive#4-WD50-sata HDD 500mb(from my old PC)and Reverb G2 VR headset

The Samsung EVO currently contains all of my XP11(which is Win10).  The WD 2tb SSD which I intended to use for XP12 is empty along with reformatted the other 2 drives.

MY OPTIONS:1.Put Linux and XP12 on SSD#1(fast PCI-4slot) This includes copying XP11 scenery from Samsung???

2. Put Linux OS on SSD#3-WDsata-which is a slower PCI-gen3 slot and SimHeaven,OrbX.UHD Spain on a  dedicated (scenery only) Drive

*********NOTE: I intend to keep XP11 (Win10) due to the volume of aircraft/plugins I enjoy today**************

As an Aside, I have seen a HUGE increase in FPS (40+) from XP12 DEMO from my old i-7/2060 laptop rig

9 minutes ago, MAJORQUATTRONUT said:

MY OPTIONS:1.Put Linux and XP12 on SSD#1(fast PCI-4slot) This includes copying XP11 scenery from Samsung???

2. Put Linux OS on SSD#3-WDsata-which is a slower PCI-gen3 slot and SimHeaven,OrbX.UHD Spain on a  dedicated (scenery only) Drive

raid 0 ftw

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, MAJORQUATTRONUT said:

I have just built my new rig after 40 yrs of Off-the-Shelf" stuff with the purpose of minimzing Microsoft use and going Linux/VR

New Hardware: Asus B550-F. 5800X3D, 6950xt/16g, DDR4-3600/16g, SSD#1-WDblk sn770 2TB (fast PCI-gen4 slot),  ssd#2-Samsung 970 EVO-plus-2TB (PCI-3slot),  SSD#3-WDblu-sata 1TB,   Drive#4-WD50-sata HDD 500mb(from my old PC)and Reverb G2 VR headset

The Samsung EVO currently contains all of my XP11(which is Win10).  The WD 2tb SSD which I intended to use for XP12 is empty along with reformatted the other 2 drives.

*********NOTE: I intend to keep XP11 (Win10) due to the volume of aircraft/plugins I enjoy today**************

As an Aside, I have seen a HUGE increase in FPS (40+) from XP12 DEMO from my old i-7/2060 laptop rig

Puttin scenery on an SSD will only decrease the load time, but will increase read/write operations which will eventually shorten its life.

I have x-plane on an SSD and large scenery files (ortho, HD scenery etc) on a HDD.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

4 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

but will increase read/write operations which will eventually shorten its life

Read ops don't hurt a SSD. It's the writes. Unless you are actively developing scenery and copying files here and there on the drive, ortho will actually expand the life of the drive. Most folks download the files and then don't touch them for months if not years. This means that massive swaths of the drive never get written to. Modern SSDs are made to handle terabytes of writes per day for years.

Also, it's copying on the same device that would cause writes. Merely moving a terabyte to another folder doesn't hurt anything because that's nothing more than updating a bunch of file node locations. The OS doesn't actually move the data itself.

SSD concerns are usually related to size. It matters!

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

5 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Read ops don't hurt a SSD. It's the writes. Unless you are actively developing scenery and copying files here and there on the drive, ortho will actually expand the life of the drive. Most folks download the files and then don't touch them for months if not years. This means that massive swaths of the drive never get written to. Modern SSDs are made to handle terabytes of writes per day for years.

Also, it's copying on the same device that would cause writes. Merely moving a terabyte to another folder doesn't hurt anything because that's nothing more than updating a bunch of file node locations. The OS doesn't actually move the data itself.

SSD concerns are usually related to size. It matters!

That's good to know. SSD prices are getting better and better.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

SSD read/write limits are only relevant for server applications. Normal usage doesn't even get near that. It's more likely that a SSD is being replaced for speed and capacity reasons.

20 hours ago, MAJORQUATTRONUT said:

Put XP on the SSD with the best throughput. It doesn't really mattter where the Linux distro is installed to as there's very little reading or writing going one it's running.

• Like 1

can scenery be shared between XP12 on Linux and XP11 on Win10 if on different drives?  I was thinking that I could just Symbolically link to XP11 scenery in the XP12 Custom Scenery folder..  does it matter that XP12 is Linux.  I have 1.6tb of scenery and want to utilize it

3 hours ago, MAJORQUATTRONUT said:

can scenery be shared between XP12 on Linux and XP11 on Win10 if on different drives?  I was thinking that I could just Symbolically link to XP11 scenery in the XP12 Custom Scenery folder..  does it matter that XP12 is Linux.  I have 1.6tb of scenery and want to utilize it

I have all my scenery on a portable drive that I share between Mac and Windows, and it works no problem, so yes it'll work fine on Linux/Windows as well

11 hours ago, MAJORQUATTRONUT said:

Yes, almost all Linux distros are able to read NTFS drives out of the box nowadays. Just make sure you assign a fixed mount point to the drive that has your XP11 scenery so that any symbolic links won't break between reboots.