Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Just Flight 50% off weekend sale

Thanks Bill, I miss the days when you could pick up a Just Flight aircraft for around $10 on sale?

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

Nice find does anyone know if the DC-8 works in Prepar3d V5? I've searched forums and Youtube but can't find definitive answers.

I'll try the DC-8 and report back....hmmm....installs OK and looks good, even in VR.
Flew a quick circuit and TBH it doesn't feel quite right - don't think it's a V5 issue, but many of the JF/AH models of that era were a bit woolly.
Might be OK if you're an autopilot to finals guy? And it's cheap.

Just bought the Mosquito, works quite well though couple of cockpit animations missing I think.

The Meteor, Hunter and C-46 all work fine in V5, meteor is one of my favourites 🙂
Cheers
Keith

Edited by keithb77
  • Like 1

I might grab the Hunter and Meteor for FSX

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Hello friends,

How many of these are AH planes, does anyone know?  

DC-8, C-46 etc.

I'm still using FSX/A on an ancient computer.  I probably have 3 AH products and and am less than enthusiastic about one of them.  The color of the VC generally do not fit my eye, mostly because of my age and failing eyesight I'm sure.

Because of the sale, I downloaded 3 demo planes.  DC-6, Hawker Hunter, Mosquito.

DC-6 seems quite old, some textures not great, VC lighting sub-standard.  However, my overall impression is that it would be a fun plane to use.

Mosquito, not sure if it's the newest Mosquito from JF.  Beautiful airplane, terrific cockpit, VC lighting seems dark.

Hawker Hunter, another wonderful VC, but I had great difficulty landing, proving that fighter pilot is not my forte.  Terrific looking plane.

Just subjective opinions gleaned from demo software.

Edited by kttd

Vast majority of AH and JF stuff works fine in the most recent versions of P3D, most of the older FSX stuff from JF and AH is generally okay too although you do sometimes need to have an FSX install or a dummy one in order for the installer to work, and then you just manually copy the main folder over and any effects it uses.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I own a ton of Justflight aircraft including the DC-8 like mentioned above some of the cockpit textures of some products feel a little dated but I fly them in VR with FSX and the native stereoscopic 3d pretty much cleans up brings even old bland textured cockpits to life still. 

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

I think the 747 is by CLS, the Canberra by JustFlight themselves (and VERY good), not sure about the Otter - might be JF.

The rest are AH, the DC-6 is very old but was good once, mostly still works in V5 (no supercharger?) but no comparison at all the the FR DC-4.

The Meteor is very good, also the Hunter. The C-46 was pretty dodgy but was improved in-house.
The Mosquito seems good on a 30-mins flying.

Any thoughts on the scenery? I tried the demo last year and thought it very poor, but maybe I did something wrong...

1 hour ago, keithb77 said:

Any thoughts on the scenery? I tried the demo last year and thought it very poor, but maybe I did something wrong...

I said in another post, a while back in v4 I had the demo running along with orbx England ($23USD) and it was a go for Orbx, but again right now you can even get all 3 orbx TE England for about $20 more than all four JF-VFR. But I'm not telling you what to do 🙂

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Also just to add, I'm not raining on JF it's a good product but competition is good and if I were to make that same decision right now England  + Trees HD + Flora + Building is probably a better way to go. Just my opinion. But if you have a lower end system then JF-VFR is probably better.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, keithb77 said:

I think the 747 is by CLS, the Canberra by JustFlight themselves (and VERY good), not sure about the Otter - might be JF.

The rest are AH, the DC-6 is very old but was good once, mostly still works in V5 (no supercharger?) but no comparison at all the the FR DC-4.

The Meteor is very good, also the Hunter. The C-46 was pretty dodgy but was improved in-house.
The Mosquito seems good on a 30-mins flying.

Yes the Canberra is excellent and the Otter is very good too but (for anyone still running a 32-bit platform like FSX) it has a pretty heavy VAS footprint which could be an issue for anyone using it in some of the Orbx regions (but in saying that, the alternative Otter also has a heavy VAS footprint). Depending on your expectations, the CLS 747 might be OK, but I got frustrated by its fairly elementary FMC and niggles in its systems.

The DC-6, as you say, is a very old product, but, if you are happy with something 'lite', it's not bad. Visually it's quite well modelled both internally and externally and it's sounds are good but it falls a little short on systems. As you point out, it doesn't have a functioning supercharger although it does have a water/methanol injection system to add power on take-off and this is reasonably well replicated. Likewise, the pressurisation system isn't modelled and some of the engine functions leave a bit to be desired. Still, the alternative (from PMDG) is a lot more expensive, so once again, depending on your expectations, the JF DC-6 could be considered a good bargain.

Bill

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Yes the Canberra is excellent and the Otter is very good too but (for anyone still running a 32-bit platform like FSX) it has a pretty heavy VAS footprint which could be an issue for anyone using it in some of the Orbx regions (but in saying that, the alternative Otter also has a heavy VAS footprint). Depending on your expectations, the CLS 747 might be OK, but I got frustrated by its fairly elementary FMC and niggles in its systems.

The DC-6, as you say, is a very old product, but, if you are happy with something 'lite', it's not bad. Visually it's quite well modelled both internally and externally and it's sounds are good but it falls a little short on systems. As you point out, it doesn't have a functioning supercharger although it does have a water/methanol injection system to add power on take-off and this is reasonably well replicated. Likewise, the pressurisation system isn't modelled and some of the engine functions leave a bit to be desired. Still, the alternative (from PMDG) is a lot more expensive, so once again, depending on your expectations, the JF DC-6 could be considered a good bargain.

Bill

Welp thanks a ton!

That means they will definitely OOM my setup as I'm fully loaded with ORBX and REX products with demanding VR on top.

I had both Canberra and Otter in my cart.

Was eyeing the 747...while I'm sure its lighter on VAS...the cockpit textures are a turn off for me.

Do you have any experience with the iFly or PDMG 747 regarding VAS?

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

13 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

That means they will definitely OOM my setup as I'm fully loaded with ORBX and REX products with demanding VR on top.

I had both Canberra and Otter in my cart.

Was eyeing the 747...while I'm sure its lighter on VAS...the cockpit textures are a turn off for me.

Do you have any experience with the iFly or PDMG 747 regarding VAS?

Well you can still fly them in FSX (I have both the Otter and Canberra and a load of Orbx and Active Sky products!) but you have to turn down your sliders particularly for parameters like AI aircraft and ground traffic which have a significant effect on VAS usage. The Just Flight Canberra does not have a heavy VAS footprint so I wouldn't worry about that and it is an excellent product.

With regard to 747s, surprisingly the CLS 747 is not that light on VAS. I used to have the original version of the PMDG 747  but I needed to reinstall it and despite being able to redownload it from my PMDG account, I was unable to validate it during installation because apparently the new PMDG system will not allow legacy products to be validated! I contacted them and the reply was that they are "working on it" but on looking at the forums they have been "working on it" for 2 or 3 years now so I don't think it is going to happen and I suspect it may be a way to get people to update their legacy products by purchasing the latest version. I therefore decided to replace it with the iFly 747 and I have not been disappointed - it is a great product and much more reasonably priced! The downside is that it too has a heavy VAS usage but, with care, it is perfectly flyable in FSX.

With regard to avoiding OOMs, I have found that using a scenery configurator to just load the scenery you are going to use can also reduce VAS usage a bit, particularly if, like me, you have a lot of add-on scenery, the majority of which doesn't need to be loaded every time you start the sim. There are freeware scenery configurators out there but I use the payware utility SimStarter NG which has allowed me to create a series of scenery cfgs to use depending on where I am flying and also to create various FSX cfgs to take account of both the VAS footprint of the aircraft I am flying and whether it is VFR or IFR.

Bill

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Well you can still fly them in FSX (I have both the Otter and Canberra and a load of Orbx and Active Sky products!) but you have to turn down your sliders particularly for parameters like AI aircraft and ground traffic which have a significant effect on VAS usage. The Just Flight Canberra does not have a heavy VAS footprint so I wouldn't worry about that and it is an excellent product.

With regard to 747s, surprisingly the CLS 747 is not that light on VAS. I used to have the original version of the PMDG 747  but I needed to reinstall it and despite being able to redownload it from my PMDG account, I was unable to validate it during installation because apparently the new PMDG system will not allow legacy products to be validated! I contacted them and the reply was that they are "working on it" but on looking at the forums they have been "working on it" for 2 or 3 years now so I don't think it is going to happen and I suspect it may be a way to get people to update their legacy products by purchasing the latest version. I therefore decided to replace it with the iFly 747 and I have not been disappointed - it is a great product and much more reasonably priced! The downside is that it too has a heavy VAS usage but, with care, it is perfectly flyable in FSX.

With regard to avoiding OOMs, I have found that using a scenery configurator to just load the scenery you are going to use can also reduce VAS usage a bit, particularly if, like me, you have a lot of add-on scenery, the majority of which doesn't need to be loaded every time you start the sim. There are freeware scenery configurators out there but I use the payware utility SimStarter NG which has allowed me to create a series of scenery cfgs to use depending on where I am flying and also to create various FSX cfgs to take account of both the VAS footprint of the aircraft I am flying and whether it is VFR or IFR.

Bill

This is solid Bill!

I will definitively invest in a scenery utility.

Again throwing VR(Flyinside) on top of the memory usage limited FSX really started to bog things down and OOM some of my experiences, but I have some amazing times in the old sim still with VR.

For the most part my setup is very stable though, again switching to P3D would alleviate alot of my issues but I can no longer pay $60 an update(I stopped at V4) just to roll the dice on a chance of losing compatibility of some of my favorite most beloved aircraft addons every time they do a new version. So FSX is where I'll stay alongside MSFS for now. I enjoy them both.

Thanks again Bill!🍻

Lou

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram