Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

MSFS forums claiming 64GB of Ram helps on 3090s

The way things are going, I'm going to need to convince my friend to sell his real plane and then loan me money to buy my next video card.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The way things are going, I'm going to need to convince my friend to sell his real plane and then loan me money to buy my next video card.

If it means running butter smooth crisp performance on very high settings and even being able to enjoy 3rd party scenery and aircraft with ZERO stutter and great FPS I'd say its very much worth it.

Especially in VR! 

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

7 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

If it means running butter smooth crisp performance on very high settings and even being able to enjoy 3rd party scenery and aircraft with ZERO stutter and great FPS I'd say its very much worth it.

Especially in VR! 

I have an RTX 2060, I am upgrading the CPU from AMD 3600 to AMD 5800x, we'll see how much difference it makes. I've been trying to buy an AMD 6800, but I'm not paying triple MSRP (or even double), not right now. I will live with the RTX 2060 and the new CPU which arrives this weekend.

Game says main thread limited, so maybe it'll bump me up a few FPS and be a bit smoother, who knows. It's fine actually on my current setup, just larger cities or certain airports can get a bit tanky. I doubt I can handle VR, as I get dizzy sometimes from that kind of stuff. I can handle a projector, and even an occasional 3D movie, but VR is probably too much for me.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

14 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I have an RTX 2060, I am upgrading the CPU from AMD 3600 to AMD 5800x, we'll see how much difference it makes. I've been trying to buy an AMD 6800, but I'm not paying triple MSRP (or even double), not right now. I will live with the RTX 2060 and the new CPU which arrives this weekend.

Game says main thread limited, so maybe it'll bump me up a few FPS and be a bit smoother, who knows. It's fine actually on my current setup, just larger cities or certain airports can get a bit tanky. I doubt I can handle VR, as I get dizzy sometimes from that kind of stuff. I can handle a projector, and even an occasional 3D movie, but VR is probably too much for me.

You running 1440p or 4K monitor?

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 3/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, spacedyemeerkat said:

I love that! The older I get (48), the more I like my case to be lit up like a Christmas tree. Looking forward to getting a new PC built later this year and going full on with lighting. People are going to think UFOs are landing, I tell ya!

Off topic but I had to add to this... My daughter loved the blue lights in my computer but wanted different colors, So I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild of my case adding all new RGB fans and RGB light strips through out, plus new RGB keyboard/mouse and another behind the monitor to light up the wall. Its going to be 4th of July fire works everyday from now on! 😎

• Like 2

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

3 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

Off topic but I had to add to this... My daughter loved the blue lights in my computer but wanted different colors, So I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild of my case adding all new RGB fans and RGB light strips through out, plus new RGB keyboard/mouse and another behind the monitor to light up the wall. Its going to be 4th of July fire works everyday from now on! 😎

I hope your PC is not in your bedroom and left on at night then 😄

9 hours ago, TurboKen said:

I have to say.... I am 63yo, and I also LOVE those RGB thingies!!
The new PC I've assembled looks like Singapore by night.
Sometimes I fall asleep in front of my PC contemplating the lights ...😄

• Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

22 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I hope your PC is not in your bedroom and left on at night then 😄

Lol. No it's in my home theater room/office/playroom. I really need to post pics when I get it done it looks amazing.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, TurboKen said:

Lol. No it's in my home theater room/office/playroom. I really need to post pics when I get it done it looks amazing.

sounds like a good setup did you build yourself or who did it? am about to buy something.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

5 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

sounds like a good setup did you build yourself or who did it? am about to buy something.

Yeah I built it. Been building them since the Flightsimulator95 days. My first build was a 486, which I discovered I could overclock with a simple jumper change to a whopping brace yourself.....  80mhz.

What ever you decide to go with start with a good foundation. Get a good quality motherboard and power supply, even if doing so your budget then requires you to get a lesser model video card. You can always upgrade that at a later time. Good luck.

Edited by TurboKen

On 3/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, RXP said:

The problem with RGB drivers, RTSS, and all these tools, is that is it documented they are inducing stuttering in VR, when using any NVIDIA Driver released after 446.14. This is not voodoo magic nor speculation either, it was posted on the NVidia forums by an NVidia employee.

There is at least one driver version which has large consensus in FS2020 VR and it is 457.30. Newest drivers are working good for some, but 457.30 remains the undisputed FS2020 VR champion by many reports at the FS2020 VR forums.

I killed MSI AB, RTSS, iCue and Corsair services but couldn't see any difference. Honestly I didn't have stuttering in VR in the first place, probably because the GPU is always bottlenecking the CPU.

457.30 driver instead, made a big difference. In the same exact conditions it provides +20% framerate in comparison with the latest one (461.72). Hopefully nVidia will put more effort in VR now that it's becoming mainstream.

Thanks

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I can do a little better than claim that 64Gb takes the chains off of the 3090 in MSFS2020. Im the OP in MSFS forums that made this claim... I did a little better. I made a short vid in full 4k Terrain LOD 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c_Pxzo4D4k

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smartbomb said:

I can do a little better than claim that 64Gb takes the chains off of the 3090 in MSFS2020. Im the OP in MSFS forums that made this claim... I did a little better. I made a short vid in full 4k Terrain LOD 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c_Pxzo4D4k

It looks good, but what is the take away from this? The description says you're running 32GB.  And it's not clear what FPS you're getting.

4 hours ago, Smartbomb said:

I though the original thread was about 64Gb with VR headsets ?

• Like 1

Reports have that is also makes a ton of difference with MSFS 2025, when it is alleged that 3090's might possibly be available.

Oh my......

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere