Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Pixelated Clouds

I LOVE MSFS. This is not a crissum. It's a question. 

I feel like during one of the updates or during one of my settings changes, I've made the clouds slightly pixelated. 

Is there a particular setting I set to MAX to improve the pixilation of my clouds?

@NZAA

I moved you post from the Tips and Tricks section to the main forum. The Tips and Tricks section isn’t for support questions.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The last world update greatly improved the look of the clouds but you still see graininess in distant clouds, especially with shadows in them. Is this what you are seeing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I see a lot of talk about pixilation of clouds but personally have never seen or really noticed it.  To me, the clouds always seem great.  The only thing I have noticed is that density looks a bit low when I only set a cloud layer at 3 or 4 thousand feet (ultra settings). Landing IFR through a cloud layer I am able to see the runway much further away than ITRW.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

They look fine since the last update for me.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

6 hours ago, cianpars said:

The only thing I have noticed is that density looks a bit low when I only set a cloud layer at 3 or 4 thousand feet (ultra settings). Landing IFR through a cloud layer I am able to see the runway much further away than ITRW.

I’ve noticed this as well. The clouds seem to dissolve when going through them…more so after the update.  The clouds look great, but do not act upon the airplane—such as mist, etc.

I expect the promised “node-based particle effects”, will improve visuals soon.  I believe we are getting contrails in the next update, or the update there after.

Specs: I9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32gb Ram |Headsets: HP Reverb

They look great now, however, AA has taken a hit and looks worst. I heard this might have been a tradeoff. 

• Like 1

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Here's clouds vs clear skies. 

I see others screenshots which are far less pixelated. My clear skies photos shows how clear other scenery is.

Clouds.png

Clear.png

18 hours ago, NZAA said:

I LOVE MSFS. This is not a crissum. It's a question. 

I feel like during one of the updates or during one of my settings changes, I've made the clouds slightly pixelated. 

Is there a particular setting I set to MAX to improve the pixilation of my clouds?

They were fixed in most recent update. In so far as settings, anything less than HIGH you will see visual degradation. They look best on ULTRA obviously...

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

What setting is clouds set under, I might try make that ULTRA

45 minutes ago, NZAA said:

What setting is clouds set under, I might try make that ULTRA

Volumetric clouds is the settings, but bee aware, Ultra have huge impact on performance, the difference between High and Ultra is not that big, some people, (me included) actually think that High setting even looks better for the most.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

you can try increasing Render Scaling.  It improves everything.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

4 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Volumetric clouds is the settings, but bee aware, Ultra have huge impact on performance.

made a big difference

• Like 1

After the last update, Ultra clouds are completely different from High clouds, but it's -5 fps, will make do until the world not allowed graphic cards come back in stock, or even wait for nvidia 4000 series at this point.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster