Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

High CPU temperatures PLUS bad performance

It's one thing when this sim shows a pattern of decline with each update; it is immeasurably worse when this incompetent coding presents a danger to expensive hardware.  CPU temps are fluctuating between 95 and 100 degrees for several minutes at a time.

I have tried setting parameters to  "Low" but the problem persists.  I am also aware of the throttling down of CPU'S  when they get too hot--as an emergency feature--but there is still heat stress that leads to diminished life span of these expensive items.

Isn't it about time for the developers to be straightforward with the community and seriously  and unequivocally acknowledge these problems with a view to some entirely new approach.  Making this sim progressively worse while at the same time making vague statements about plans for the future is not working.  Even an honest acknowledgement of utter failure would be better than these pathetic games they are playing.  They are beginning to become costly both in time and in the financial risk of wear and tear on CPU's and GPU's.

This may come under the heading of a "rant" but my purposes are twofold:  1.To suggest that a better approach for the community is to shelf this thing completely until these very basic issues are resolved and  2. To warn those considering the purchase to hold off and read through these forums before risking there computers, their money and their time in what is acknowledged to be a decidedly frustrating experience.

I am aware that some have expressed the view that, "It is early days, be patient all will be fixed."  This would be good advice if there were any indication of progress toward a usable and safe sim.  But it has been seven months and this sim shows no signs of being either one.  It unfortunately  seems clear to me that if these developers knew how to make this sim better, rather than worse, with every change that we would have seen some evidence of that by now.  I simply haven't.

Edited by TASCHMANN
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What is your CPU and what cooling solution are you using? Are you overclocking? I've stress tested high end CPUs with unrealistic all-core AVX workloads and never got them that hot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

This may come under the heading of a "rant"

Wow, really?  😉

• Like 1

Bert

Of all the things that can be said about the state of the sim at this moment, insufficient cooling is up to you, not Asobo.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

100 is to much for your CPU, i remember a few years ago in a VR game i realized my CPU was at 100,

i then bought a big noctua nh-d15 cooler an temps then got down to around 60.

Get a new cooler.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hyperfocal said:

What is your CPU and what cooling solution are you using? Are you overclocking? I've stress tested high end CPUs with unrealistic all-core AVX workloads and never got them that hot.

Hyperfocal,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm running a  i7-9700k at 4.6 cooled by a Corsair H100i Platinum.  I run P3D v4.5, X-plane 11.5, and DCS.  In none of these sims does this CPU rise above 75 degrees at any time. Average is in the 50's.

6 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Of all the things that can be said about the state of the sim at this moment, insufficient cooling is up to you, not Asobo.

It is my understanding that bad coding, like the spike in framerates (200+) noticed while the sim is in menu or is loading a flight, can indeed be the cause of overheating.

I have come to the conclusion it is time to shelf this game until they have fix the main problems, it is not fun anymore, only frustrating.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Hyperfocal,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm running a  i7-9700k at 4.6 cooled by a Corsair H100i Platinum.  I run P3D v4.5, X-plane 11.5, and DCS.  In none of these sims does this CPU rise above 75 degrees at any time. Average is in the 50's.

The current patch does seem to stress all cores rather than just one (for no real performance gain which is odd).

The 9700K is a very hot CPU but a 2x 140mm AIO is generally good enough if it is not overclocked.  Note that a lot of Z motherboards will run that processor with all cores at the single clock turbo speeds (in effect overclocking it) .

I would check your fan curves and maybe the paste on your water block and also pump speed.  Even if the game is running all 8 cores at 100% your CPU should not be able to hit 100C with adequate cooling .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

33 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The current patch does seem to stress all cores rather than just one (for no real performance gain which is odd).

The 9700K is a very hot CPU but a 2x 140mm AIO is generally good enough if it is not overclocked.  Note that a lot of Z motherboards will run that processor with all cores at the single clock turbo speeds (in effect overclocking it) .

I would check your fan curves and maybe the paste on your water block and also pump speed.  Even if the game is running all 8 cores at 100% your CPU should not be able to hit 100C with adequate cooling .

100 degrees, it won't last long, that's for sure. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

As much a pain as watercooling maintenance is....one problem I don't ever have to blink twice at are thermal temps.

MY CPU/GPU are never stressed on thermals.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

As much a pain as watercooling maintenance is....one problem I don't ever have to blink twice at are thermal temps.

He has a H100i AIO .  Something is not right.

• Like 1

I had the same problem. The normal temps run around 50-55. After the latest update, I noticed the temps were running well into the 70's. I had to turn my Terrain LOD down from 200 to 100. After this, I was operating in my 'normal' range.

I also use water cooling and have been very satisfied with the CPU temps running MSFS 2020...no problem at until this latest update.

Anyway, my understanding is that ASOBO is aware of the issues (stutters and very low FPS), and hopefully, we will see a solution soon.

Until then, I'll just run my Terrain LOD at 100.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

The sim also makes my GPU squeal like a pig on the splash and title screen.

The noise goes away at the main menu screen.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

36 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I would be interested in hearing what your result is when you monitor CPU temp in MSFS during any "blue line" operations.   Whenever the sim itself or a new flight is loading and the blue line is lengthening my experience is that fps spikes along with the temperature.

This is an issue that has been widely reported on MSFS's own forum for months. It has become markedly worse with the latest "update."

If and when the blue line "stalls" those temps can remain dangerously high for extended periods.

Edited by TASCHMANN