Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

High CPU temperatures PLUS bad performance

5 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

I would be interested in hearing what your result is when you monitor CPU temp in MSFS during any "blue line" operations.   Whenever the sim itself or a new flight is loading and the blue line is lengthening my experience is that fps spikes along with the temperature.

This is an issue that has been widely reported on MSFS's own forum for months. It has become markedly worse with the latest "update"

Ok so run my CPU-Z monitoring app and during the blue line loading screen in the sim switch back out and get a screenshot of my temps on my app?

I can do that! 

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 minute ago, blueshark747 said:

Ok so run my CPU-Z monitoring app and during the blue line loading screen in the sim switch back out and get a screenshot of my temps on my app?

I can do that! 

Blueshark,

That would be helpful. 

More information would be available if you have an app such as MSI AfterBurner (freeware) that would graph the changes over time.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

The sim also makes my GPU squeal like a pig on the splash and title screen.

The noise goes away at the main menu screen.

Coil whine. Because they don’t cap the frame rate in the menu system so it’s allowed to run free. Only time you’ll get high FPS in this sim, so enjoy it 🤣

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Coil whine. Because they don’t cap the frame rate in the menu system so it’s allowed to run free. Only time you’ll get high FPS in this sim, so enjoy it 🤣

I'm dead bra....🤣😭🍻

• Like 2

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Because they don’t cap the frame rate in the menu system so it’s allowed to run free. Only time you’ll get high FPS in this sim, so enjoy it

Thanks for the insight about "capping"

Exactly my point.  If its that easy to fix--why don't they fix it? It's stressing user's Cpu's!!

26 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Exactly my point.  If its that easy to fix--why don't they fix it? It's stressing user's Cpu's!!

This was before launching the sim sitting at idle

https://imgur.com/gallery/lrPHxYP

This was after loading a flight sitting on the runway

https://imgur.com/gallery/ipUN9oc

I have full hardware readouts, they are txt files though.

Not sure how to share here.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

23 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Prob more stressing the GPU in that scenario but yes good point.  I frame rate cap MSFS at 60 fps in my nvidia panel to avoid that sort of thing in game.

As far as the CPU goes, the 9700/9900 can be temperamental beasties at the best of time, they do not need MSFS thrashing them as well.   At 4.6Ghz it sounds like you are on stock clocks, depending on your CPU you may potentially be able to undervolt without any loss in performance while getting better thermals.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

I think you are missing the point, made earlier by several posters. You have a problem with your cpu cooling system.

Regardless of what loads MSFS may be creating, your cpu temps should not be that high. You should check the things suggested earlier - thermal paste on the water block and correct pump operation, as well as the actual mounting of the water block. Most cpus under stress testing will hit mid to high 80s. Not the temps you described.

• Like 3

John B

my cpu runs in the very low 60s under MSFS load. So yeah. something is not correct.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

35 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

It’s not stressing the cpu in the menu system. Barely using it if anything. It’s your GPU running free. 

I had also some unexplained cpu high temps during the latest updates. From 50-60s sometimes goes 70-75C even in low-performance demanding areas

8700k delidded at 5.2ghz/5.1ghz  with Corsair H150i 

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

1 hour ago, Biggles2010 said:

I think you are missing the point, made earlier by several posters. You have a problem with your cpu cooling system.

Regardless of what loads MSFS may be creating, your cpu temps should not be that high. You should check the things suggested earlier - thermal paste on the water block and correct pump operation, as well as the actual mounting of the water block. Most cpus under stress testing will hit mid to high 80s. Not the temps you described.

I would think the CPIU would throttle down before the temps hit 100C. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

How is your AIO radiator mounted in your case? If the radiator's reservoir is located below the height of the water block, air bubbles can become trapped, causing poor flow, high temperatures, cavitation, and pump failure. The radiator should be mounted in the top of the case with the tubes going down, or if on the front of the case, the tubes should be at the bottom.

In any event, your CPU should never get that hot with an AIO cooler. If the problem isn't incorrect radiator mounting, there is definitely something else going wrong, such as bad water block mounting, pump not working, pipes clogged, insufficient coolant, etc.

Edited by quantumpion