Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Night lights in the distance are blurry

In the evening, lights in the distance are very blurry.  Is there any way to change this? A mod or something in usercfg.opt?

I'm finding this very distracting... to the point it makes my eyes hurt.   Let atmospheric haze impact sharpness, don't intentionally apply a blur filter to stuff. Ugh!

It is very obvious because scenery in the distance (e.g. a mountain) will be perfectly sharp but the lights around it are very blurry - it's an immersion killer and a headache inducer!

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Upvote 1

I agree with you !
I find the night particularly ugly on MSFS!
It was more beautiful on P3D with the more realistic ORBX Addon!
The stars are also blurry! I wish a MOD could modify this too starry pixelated sky!

And in IFR flight flying over cities at night is just super ugly there is just a circle around the city to say this is where it's lit up.

I heard that on the Alpha version the lights were more realistic ...

I don't know if ASOBO is aware that there is a lot of work to be done at night ...

But I'm amazed that there isn't a mod already to change the night sky with all it's blurry stars.

• Upvote 1

yes same problem and it looks really horrible on nvsurround. I read over at MS somewhere this is a bug specifically where wider resolutions than 16:9 cause this. It was much better during TA but thats a whole other story! 

7 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I guess I’m the only one bothered by this. Carry on. 

Nope. It's horrendously bad on a 5120x1440 display. So bad, in fact, that I absolutely avoid flying when lights are required down below!

• Upvote 1

It's so bad I no longer fly at night at all.

I guess it's way down the list though in terms of priorities?  I'm not sure how this was passed unless we're all playing a beta.

And if it looks alright to you, climb and you'll see what we mean. 

7 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I guess I’m the only one bothered by this. Carry on. 

I think that many (most?) people aren‘t happy with the night lighting either. I for one mostly avoid flying at night. It‘s been criticized since release and Asobo doesn‘t seem to be very committed in that respect, so I don‘t expect much change in the near future to be honest. I hope I‘m wrong of course. 

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

The night lighting doesn’t bother me at all.

The glow on the ground texture is from a night light map. The kind you’d see if you google for a satellite image of the earth at night. Of course those aren’t super high resolution so from flying height it doesn’t look that great.

https://earth.google.com/web/data=CiQSIhIgMGY3ZTJkYzdlOGExMTFlNjk5MGQ2ZjgxOGQ2OWE2ZTc

https://www.nightearth.com/?@50,-106.346771,2z&data=$bWVsMmQx&lang=en

Edited by Tuskin38

21 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I think that many (most?) people aren‘t happy with the night lighting either. I for one mostly avoid flying at night. It‘s been criticized since release and Asobo doesn‘t seem to be very committed in that respect, so I don‘t expect much change in the near future to be honest. I hope I‘m wrong of course. 

They did touch it up a few times in the early patches when the complaints were louder. But they’ve died down since then.

The biggest change was to the street light rendering. There used to be a lot more of them on back roads and such. But then they changed it so they’re tied to population density, so the further out from a population centre you go, the less lights there are. Fewer side roads lit up like a Christmas tree now.

Edited by Tuskin38

12 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

In the evening, lights in the distance are very blurry.  Is there any way to change this? A mod or something in usercfg.opt?

I'm finding this very distracting... to the point it makes my eyes hurt.   Let atmospheric haze impact sharpness, don't intentionally apply a blur filter to stuff. Ugh!

It is very obvious because scenery in the distance (e.g. a mountain) will be perfectly sharp but the lights around it are very blurry - it's an immersion killer and a headache inducer!

no it's not just you...night lighting in the distance is blurry.  I don't remember it being this way at release though.

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They did touch it up a few times in the early patches when the complaints were louder. But they’ve died down since then.

Yes, I remember it, they also toned down the night light map. There has certainly been some improvements but all in all I still think it‘s none of the sim‘s strengths. I think some of the disappointment also comes from the comparison with early alpha screenshots which looked very promising.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

There are two different issues here although connected: 1) night lighting in general, 2) the bluriness of night lighting in ultrawide resolutions. Trust me, if you've seen the latter, you *know*. It's awful.

If you think it’s blurry in flatscreen, you should try it in VR. I thought my eyes had died 😳

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

There is a long standing discussion about this in the FS2020 forums, you might want to vote for it.

My latest comments:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/night-lighting-issues-still-present-the-community-solutions/310086/1013?u=cptlucky8

Explanations and details:
Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions - Bugs & Issues / Scenery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

And here is the discussion exposing the problem with wide monitors:
Blurry lights on ultra-wide/4k resolutions - Bugs & Issues / Scenery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)