Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

If you buy from Microsoft Store and then change computers?

I've been using XBox Game Pass to play the standard version for several months, but plan to buy the Premium Deluxe version outright, then cancel my Game Pass since I don't use it for anything else.  (I was part of that long thread earlier, so I know which version to buy that would be truly stand-alone.)

The only thing that occurred to me is this:  With Steam, if I were to build a new computer, I could re-download all the games in my library to the new machine.  Similarly, if I was on XBox Game Pass, I could move everything over to the new build.  But what if I buy from the Microsoft Store, but then cancel Game Pass?  As long as I have the same Microsoft Account on the new machine, am I allowed to re-download all my Microsoft Store purchases to it?  Or do I have to buy a whole new copy for each machine?

Obviously, I can buy MSFS for cheaper from Microsoft than Steam, because of my current Game Pass membership.  But, if it meant I'd have to buy another copy if I were ever to do a new build (which I'll probably be considering in the next year or two), I'd rather get it from Steam.  Could anyone give me information about this issue?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Of course you can download again on a new system without having to re-purchase.

If you want to buy MSFS and keep it after you cancel the Game Pass subscription, be absolutely sure you buy the full "Premium Deluxe", NOT the "Premium Deluxe Upgrade", because the upgrade requires the Standard version which, ( unless you bought that one too ) works only because your Game Pass sub is still active but, if you cancel Game Pass, you'll lose access to the Standard version, which means you won't be able to use the Premium Deluxe Upgrade too.

That's why you must be sure to buy the Premium Deluxe Full version.

To be sure it's the Full version, check if it says the bundle includes "Digital Ownership", which means you *own* the game regardless of the Game pass subscription.

It's easy to be confused by pricing, because BOTH Premium Deluxe versions come with a discount: the Premium Deluxe Full version has a discount because you are still a Game pass member, and the Premium Deluxe Upgrade also has a discount because...it's an Upgrade so, be careful not to be mislead by the two discounts, which might be similar. The "Digital ownership" is the key: is what you want to get, if you plan to cancel Game Pass and be able to access your purchases forever, regardless of hardware changes.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 4

I'm not shure if this answers your question:

I bought MSFS through the store in september 2020 an buil a new PC end december.

No problem to download on new PC, to be shure I removed it from old PC first

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Whatever you buy is not linked to your PC but your Microsoft Account, including Windows.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

It's easy to be confused  

Couldn't but laugh reading your post.  As we say in French a mother cat wouldn't find her kitten in there 😸. Not your fault but MS can be as convoluted as any state bureaucracy can be. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 hours ago, hansb57 said:

bought MSFS through the store in september 2020 an buil a new PC end december.

No problem to download on new PC, to be shure I removed it from old PC first

Sure, but the OP asked two questions:

- What to do when installing a new PC. This of course is not a problem, since your purchases on the MS Marketplace are tied to your Microsoft account. I'm not sure how many systems you can install MSFS onto but, considering only one account can login at any given time, it's a moot point.

- What to do when the Game pass subscription ends. To keep MSFS, you must purchase any version that comes with a "DIGITAL OWNERSHIP", which means you own it regardless of the subscription. This is completely unrelated to the PC hardware: even if you don't change any hardware, if you don't renew the Game Pass sub, you will not be able to use any game you haven't purchased. 

Edited by virtuali

And how can I know I purchased a DIGITAL OWNERSHIP version  ?  Thanks

31 minutes ago, solito said:

And how can I know I purchased a DIGITAL OWNERSHIP version  ?  Thanks

See what virtuali said, bold lettering is what I did for emphasis 🙂

13 hours ago, virtuali said:

If you want to buy MSFS and keep it after you cancel the Game Pass subscription, be absolutely sure you buy the full "Premium Deluxe", NOT the "Premium Deluxe Upgrade", because the upgrade requires the Standard version which, ( unless you bought that one too ) works only because your Game Pass sub is still active but, if you cancel Game Pass, you'll lose access to the Standard version, which means you won't be able to use the Premium Deluxe Upgrade too.

To be sure it's the Full version, check if it says the bundle includes "Digital Ownership", which means you *own* the game regardless of the Game pass subscription.

It's easy to be confused by pricing, because BOTH Premium Deluxe versions come with a discount: the Premium Deluxe Full version has a discount because you are still a Game pass member, and the Premium Deluxe Upgrade also has a discount because...it's an Upgrade so, be careful not to be mislead by the two discounts, which might be similar. The "Digital ownership" is the key: is what you want to get, if you plan to cancel Game Pass and be able to access your purchases forever, regardless of hardware changes.

Edited by ThrottleUp

Can't users already log into MSFS on different computers using their unique Live account?

James

1 hour ago, Phantoms said:

Can't users already log into MSFS on different computers using their unique Live account?

Should be able too, just like Steam. Can only run on one computer under the same account at a time. Should be that way?

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

16 hours ago, virtuali said:

I couldn't have said any better virtuali.  This should be a sticky on the MS Store! 😉

20 hours ago, F1Fan said:

I couldn't have said any better virtuali.  This should be a sticky on the MS Store! 😉

"...check if it says the bundle includes "Digital Ownership.......,"

Where can I found that  ? Nothing within the game UI says it 

9 hours ago, solito said:

Where can I found that  ? Nothing within the game UI says it 

That's because from the *game* UI you can only buy the upgrade! The only way to buy a full product with Digital Ownership is from the MS Store app or website.

Here we go again. Check this link I have images to help you! And correct Microsoft Store, NOT Market Place!

Check that link, Hopefully it will help!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ