Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FSX or FS9? What's the verdict

I've spent well over a year getting FS9 pretty much the way I like it with my sceneries, AI aircraft ( I have about 800 of them) plus my own flyable aircraft. Haven't been in a real hurry to ditch all this for the new simulator. How do you folks feel about it? Have you made the plunge and been happy or would you keep what you've got that works fine? Is any of the FS9 stuff compatible, mostly referring to AI Traffic Mover, AI aircraft, etc. Thanks for any feedback.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

How about FSX "and" FS9.There is a lot I like about FSX. And with a better CPU than in the past, I'm adding several addons to FS9 that I didn't have previously installed.I treat these two products as completely different simulators, as I would with FS9 and X-Plane. I see no reason to dump one for the other.L.Adamson

Well I'm running both now. Had FSX for a week, applied tweaks etc. Runs ok. Generally looks good. Nothing against it and I am flying it and exploring. Stability is a bit dodgy, the whole things feels a bit unsteady when view-switching or alt-tabbing.I see nothing, however, of this "improved feel of flight" everyone bangs on about. To me, a take off in a cessna or larger prop is exactly the same as FS9. I'm using a TrackIR too. FS9 has a long life ahead of it for now until we get the high-def jet addons patched over and some more stability. I think those one-eyed FSX'ers who implore that the thing "flies better" are halucinating.

I am sorry, but what is the purpose of this message ?Tastes differ, and some will like FS9, some will like FSX.To often we see this kind off posts turn into a flamewar.Can I gently ask everyone not to contribute to this ? It is gettting boring.PSI like FS9 because : add-ons, add-ons, and more then excellent framerates on my new boxI like FSX because : crisp textures and missionsjust my to centsJan

I like to fly low and slow so I can enjoy the environment and scenery. For me FSX is light-years ahead of FS9, which I have deleted.Just one huge advantage: it runs high resolution photo-real scenery just as smoothly as standard generic textures, unlike FS9. And this with four times the resolution (sixteen times the amount of detail). Try the Horizon Snowdonia demo and you will see why FS9 simply can't compete.I think there can be no question that FSX is far ahead in terms of features and overall capability: the only question is performance. I get perfectly acceptable frame rates and smoothness but of course I would like better frame rates, particularly at large airports and cities. I can sympathise with those who can't get acceptable frame rates, but Microsoft are working towards a patch that hopefully will improve this.But overall I'm greatly impressed by FSX. It is certainly the best flight sim I ever used. In comparison FS9 is crude and primitive, for example the low resolution ground textures.Best regards, Chris

If you have a pretty fast computer FSX and FS9, if not then stick with FS9.

Chris:What are the frame rates you get in FSX if you go to a large airport, not a highly-detailed one, just a large airport, say KIND / Indianapolis, or RJOO Osaka. I don't believe those are highly detailed in FSX are they? Anyway, in an Airbus or Boeing, fair weather, say 30% AI, what kind of frames are you getting? I've done the tweaks as well and have an upper-end pc as well (3.2 Gig dual-core / 3 Gigs RAM / 256mb GPU soon to be 640mb 8800GTX). Appreciate your input.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

Your best bet is to simply do a search on this subject. It's been debated and beaten into the ground for almost 4 months. There is absolutely no reason to start a new thread on this subject.All you need to do is go back to posts starting in mid October until now and you will find the answers you seek.Asking the question again for the umteenth time is a lesson in futility.

The purpose is: I wanted to know.It wasn't intended to start a war. I'm looking for opinions and that is what the group is for. If you allow yourself to get pulled into a war, then that's something you need to work on.I thought it was a pretty sensible question and I much appreciate the helpful answers I've received.

I havent' found that to be so at all. I've found out exactly what I needed from this thread and I thank you all.

"It wasn't intended to start a war."This will always start a war intended or not. :-)

I'm really enjoying the ability of FSX to create missions. I'm disappointed in a few other things...but they'll be fixed sooner or later. I still have FS9 on my harddrive however.

Only for those who allow it. Thanks for your input and have a nice day. Enjoy your flightsim, whichever one you have. :)