Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Warbirds engine dies randomly in flight, Spit/P40.

I know I must be late on this but after recent updates to the Spitfire and P40 I find both these aircraft's engines die randomly in flight.  Both birds I tried to do a short cross country flight from Fantasy of Flight to Lakeland and could not make it.  My engine RPM setting in the Spitfire was around 75%.  The oil temp just kept rising until is maxed out and the engine died.  I tried lowering the power but that didn't help.  Haven't quite figured out the P40's issues.  Any help with these two birds is much appreciated.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I know I must be late on this but after recent updates to the Spitfire and P40 I find both these aircraft's engines die randomly in flight.  Both birds I tried to do a short cross country flight from Fantasy of Flight to Lakeland and could not make it.  My engine RPM setting in the Spitfire was around 75%.  The oil temp just kept rising until is maxed out and the engine died.  I tried lowering the power but that didn't help.  Haven't quite figured out the P40's issues.  Any help with these two birds is much appreciated.

Spit’ : After take off, immediately lower the RPM at 26.5 for the climb with a boost no greater than  4. In cruise, I set the boost between 0 and 2 and the RPM at 24.5/25. No oil problem.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

with a boost no greater than  4. In cruise, I set the boost between 0 and 2 and the RPM at 24.5/25. No oil problem.

Where do you set the boost?

FS2020 

The boost is in British aircraft what the Americans call the Manifold Pressure MP. Actually it is not exactly the same concept but close enough gor our purpose. You put the throttle between 6 and 8 to start and reduce it swiftly after take off. The dial is in the upper right. You rarely do the take off run with the throttle full forward. Unwise. 

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Any ideas as to what's going on with the P40?

FS2020 

What do you mean, @Dillon? If your engine quit during flight it is either that you overtorqued it (going beyond the parameters I stated above), or you ran out of fuel 🙂 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

33 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Any ideas as to what's going on with the P40?

sorry my friend I don't have it. Generally speaking, the big radials need to be driven with care according to numbers (MP and RPM). Reduce the MP then the RPM after take off to what is recommended. The A2A Warhawk was taken off at 41 inches and the MP had to be reduced to 35" and the RPM to 2600 RPM once off the ground. Something similar is needed I presume for the BR P-40. Doesn't it come with a manual ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Please just read the manuals.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

43 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Please just read the manuals.

I did and the Spitfire's manual that's downloadable is not the latest with the updated features. The manual is v1.0.1 and the plane is on v1.0.2.  There's differences and things you didn't need to do in the previous version that really apply in the new version like priming the engine before start (great touches by the way).  Hadn't made it through Big Radials manual fully yet as I've been messing around with the Spit.  Thought I'd ask a quick question that most likely will apply to the P40 and save myself some page turning.

I hate when some try to be wise guys... 🤨

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

What do you mean, @Dillon? If your engine quit during flight it is either that you overtorqued it (going beyond the parameters I stated above), or you ran out of fuel 🙂 

I didn't run out of fuel, I'm sure of that.🙃

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

26 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I did and the Spitfire's manual that's downloadable is not the latest with the updated features. The manual is v1.0.1 and the plane is on v1.0.2.  There's differences and things you didn't need to do in the previous version that really apply in the new version like priming the engine before start (great touches by the way).  Hadn't made it through Big Radials manual fully yet as I've been messing around with the Spit.  Thought I'd ask a quick question that most likely will apply to the P40 and save myself some page turning.

I hate when some try to be wise guys... 🤨

Wise guys?

Did you not ask...

3 hours ago, Dillon said:

Where do you set the boost?

well the boost gauge and where is it? and it did not change in version 1.0.2 its page 13. In the manual.

Wise guy🙄

Did you turn fuel pressure on?  thats page 13 also.

I also said "please" not RTFM

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

@Dillon and @Nyxx, Please stop the name calling or further actions will commence! :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Wise guys?

Did you not ask...

well the boost gauge and where is it? and it did not change in version 1.0.2 its page 13. In the manual.

Wise guy🙄

Just how do you think all the guys above learnt the spit?

The boost pump didn't apply before meaning you didn't need to think about it.  Seeing as the conversation was going down while I was at work without the manual I asked.  Now that I'm home your are right, I can easily look it up.  Sometimes we respond to forum posts on the go.  That's what happened here.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Hey man! 

99% of engine dying will be fuel issues on the P40. It drinks like CRAZY if your not careful. Have you made sure to switch tanks in flight to go through them all? If you stay on the first tank for 15 minutes at a high power setting, your engine will quit 🙂

Hit us up on Discord if you'r there at all. 🙂

• Upvote 1