Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

CPU core 0 used more than GPU in v5.2.

as soon as I have my GPU back (getting a replacement cause of VRAM issues after 6 months... - crappy 3090) I will run some more tests. 

In the meantime I let some of my testers run some test with no performance impact as well (mix of AIGFP and BGL).

• Like 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, after discussing this a couple of days ago I did what Dirk98 suggested and put it in the [Job Scheduler] section of P3D.cfg rather than in SimStarterNG.

It's currently 1365 which equates to...

010101010101 for a 6 core 12 logical processor CPU. i7-8086K running at 4.6Ghz.

I'm happy to change it for whatever you suggest.

You misunderstood my post Ray. What I said was that in your screenshots it is very clear that your LP0 and LP1 are both near max and they are both competing on core 0 and so are both getting only 50%. So that suggests that your AM isn't working. You need to move throughput off of LP1 to leave only LP0 with throughput. If your AM in the config is assigning only LP0 of core 0 then you need to find out what it is that is using up LP1.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 minutes ago, SteveW said:

You misunderstood my post Ray. What I said was that in your screenshots it is very clear that your LP0 and LP1 are both near max and they are both competing on core 0 and so are both getting only 50%. So that suggests that your AM isn't working. You need to move throughput off of LP1 to leave only LP0 with throughput. If your AM in the config is assigning only LP0 of core 0 then you need to find out what it is that is using up LP1.

Steve, I don't know what to do to change it. If I have AffinityMask=1365 set in [Job Scheduler] that should use only 1 of 2 logical processors per physical processor.

How can it not work?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Your screenshots are clear that you have LP0 and LP1 nearly maxed. I would start the sim from the desktop icon with AM=1365 (010101010101) in the cfg. To check your AM is working, look at the graphs in TaskManager and see that LP0 is in use and LP1 is showing next to nothing:

CoreZeroLP0LP1.jpg

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 1

@SteveW,

This is what is in p3d.cfg...

[JOB SCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1365

I followed @Kaiii3's advice about Task Manager - Details and right-clicked the Prepar3d.exe entry. Every box was ticked suggesting the AF mask command hadn't been executed.

So I changed them to this and took off from EGLC. Once I reached 30kts the stutters and pauses started and it was a horrible mess. Clearly that AF setting is not to P3D's liking. Why?

Here's what RTSS showed just before I shut P3D down.

Processor_Afffinity.jpg

100Percent.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

try following in task manger (thats what i used to set before i got my new AMD 5800X)

Maksre to enable HT and activate all but CPU0

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

20 minutes ago, TextRich said:

I think for some of the posters here the concern is that the CPU workload isn't efficient (it is actually risky for the hardware) 

I know this is a common concern but I'd like to reiterate that you cannot break a CPU by running it hot and fast. You can only damage the CPU if you a) override a bunch of BIOS settings and overvolt it deliberately, or b) have no cooling at all (and even then, it should thermal-throttle to stay below the red line). Or possibly c) you have a faulty motherboard or CPU, but that's not load-related. There are a bunch of protective features built into modern CPUs to stop that happening. Of course you might prefer to have your CPU cooler and under less load - after all, it saves on power and creates less waste heat - but you won't kill your CPU unless something is very faulty.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW,

This is what is in p3d.cfg...

[JOB SCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1365

I followed @Kaiii3's advice about Task Manager - Details and right-clicked the Prepar3d.exe entry. Every box was ticked suggesting the AF mask command hadn't been executed.

Ray, therefore you must start the sim with its own desktop icon, not via simstarter, so that you can check the AM is working from the cfg so that only every other LP is checked. The AM in the cfg should work.

your config has a space [JOB SCHEDULER] that's why it is crucial that you check these things first.

This is what it should look like.

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1365

Ray. When the sim starts it looks at the CPU and can see 12 logical processors (LPs). If there is no valid jobscheduler section it will create a task on each LP, 12 tasks. If subsequently the Details tab CPU boxes are unchecked, tasks on those LPs move to convenient LPs that remain checked. Instead we must use the jobscheduler section, with in your case 1365, to ensure the sim makes six tasks, one per core. With at least core 0 only having one task allocated to LP0 that main sim task on LP0 has full throughput of core zero. When that is working you can then go on to investigate your other problems.

• Upvote 1

@SteveW, a simple typing error now corrected, thanks. 👍

Test flight with AIG and default Ai enabled showed CPU0 hitting 100% more or less continuously. FSUIPC reduced Ai to maintain 30fps but I changed the maximum number of Ai in FSUIPC to 1 to force Ai off.The sim is better but still not up to 5.1 standards. And my test this morning still shows Ai BGLs are having a big impact on performance. This is Task Manager after I landed at EGLL with just 1 Ai aircraft in an 80 nm radius.

I'm packing up for the day now and will return tomorrow afternoon.

AM_Working.thumb.jpg.1b5ed2caf8bb64cd0529901b044b4998.jpg

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, a simple typing error now corrected, thanks. 👍

Task Manager graphs now look much better, I'm glad you got that sorted out Ray so you can concentrate on real issues.

There's something more you can try later on a rainy day. You can garner more throughput from the background tasks by enabling those later cores to do the job of hyperthreading with both LPs enabled such as 01,01,11,11,01,01 = AM1525 is a good start. However, that will consume more bandwidth in the complete system to handle the 8 tasks, more can overwhelm the system. Experimentation  is required.

• Upvote 1

@SteveW, I’m happy to try anything that will improve performance. Before that rainy day I’m hoping LM will have identified the problem and fixed it.

The reason I use SimStarterNG is because I have around five supporting programs to run and doing everything via SSNG is the easy option. It’s a solid program I have used for years.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

41 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, I’m happy to try anything that will improve performance. Before that rainy day I’m hoping LM will have identified the problem and fixed it.

The reason I use SimStarterNG is because I have around five supporting programs to run and doing everything via SSNG is the easy option. It’s a solid program I have used for years.

I'm sure that you are using SimStarter to ensure that the other programs are assigned to cores other than core 1.  That may help some.

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

8 minutes ago, DWadsworth said:

I'm sure that you are using SimStarter to ensure that the other programs are assigned to cores other than core 1.  That may help some.

I put them all on core11. They just report the aircraft’s position to software running on a WideFS computer.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather