Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

CPU core 0 used more than GPU in v5.2.

I am rolling back to v5.1 as well. I will keep v5.2 installed on my other PC for testing purposes.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Oh well.  Maybe the next version will be a better match for my system. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I also got 10fps less than in V5.1 - I do not know why, same settings etc.

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Oh well.  Maybe the next version will be a better match for my system. 

They will fix this point release eventually.

I just don’t want to deal with it after setting up 5.1 to run near perfect for me.

I was never interested in HDR or EA or much autogen so I guess I’m easy in that regard.

I just completed a 1 1/2 hour flight trying the Nvidia Studio Driver rather than the Game Driver and also leaving Shift+Z off.  Those combined seem to improve performance, although I still got random stuttering when taxiing to the runway and also when cruising above rain clouds.  My approach, landing, and taxi to terminal seemed smooth.  Unfortunately Core 0 out of my 12 cores was above 100% the majority of the time.  I'm keeping 5.2 just to be able to easily test it and my sim functions 90% normally anyway.

• Upvote 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

On 6/14/2021 at 4:13 PM, Balint Szarka said:

I know, I know what some of you might say - what is the point of doing so? Well in some places like KJFK and EGLL my sim couldn't do 30 FPS so it halved it to around 15 but mostly to around 20ish frames. That is when I used to switch to unlimited FPS 

Balint, did you mean when your sim couldn't do 30 FPS you paused your flight went to P3D's UI and manually switched from 35 FPS to Unlimited? I still don't get what was the point of limiting it then to 35? Why didn't you just use Unlimited in P3Dv5 and 30 in NCP? What exactly were you trying to achieve by setting 35 FPS in P3D in the first place?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Balint, did you mean when your sim couldn't do 30 FPS you paused your flight went to P3D's UI and manually switched from 35 FPS to Unlimited? I still don't get what was the point of limiting it then to 35? Why didn't you just use Unlimited in P3Dv5 and 30 in NCP? What exactly were you trying to achieve by setting 35 FPS in P3D in the first place?

Thanks.

Yeah I realised I wasn't completely clear. So let me clarify.

I have noticed based on quite a few (many) test flights that if I had unlimited selected P3D would render the textures less and less in advance and eventually obviously the autogen would not just vanish but textures would start to get blurred. By limiting the sim to 35 FPS within the settings I seem to have found my PC's sweet spot to load autogen and terrain textures well ahead of the A/C.

Now sometimes in heavy areas I mentioned both sim, P3D and previously FSX were all prone to drop half of the selected FPS set in settings e.g. 30 FPS set in P3D would become 15 FPS if it could not maintain it... By selecting Unlimited it does / did have a tendency to recover and obviously exceed 30 FPS thus I selected in NCP 30 to ensure that if I had to select Unlimited at any part of the flight because it wasn't able to maintain the in-sim setting then it would not go crazy rendering higher then needed frames. 

So to make it easy:

- If running Unlimited due to heavy scenery: unlimited set in-sim and 30 set in NCP (permanently).

- If running the sim limited to 35 FPS it will never go above 30 anyway because of the NCP set to 30 FPS.

It does work flawlessly for my system and see absolutely no autogen popping or blurry textures whatsoever. Even in heavy areas like NYC - but this stability seemed to have been introduced in V5.2 because since then I barely even have to put it to unlimited while before it was needed in few parts of the world.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Balint Szarka

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

33 minutes ago, Balint Szarka said:

Yeah I realised I wasn't completely clear. So let me clarify.

I have noticed based on quite a few (many) test flights that if I had unlimited selected P3D would render the textures less and less in advance and eventually obviously the autogen would not just vanish but textures would start to get blurred. By limiting the sim to 35 FPS within the settings I seem to have found my PC's sweet spot to load autogen and terrain textures well ahead of the A/C.

Now sometimes in heavy areas I mentioned both sim, P3D and previously FSX were all prone to drop half of the selected FPS set in settings e.g. 30 FPS set in P3D would become 15 FPS if it could not maintain it... By selecting Unlimited it does / did have a tendency to recover and obviously exceed 30 FPS thus I selected in NCP 30 to ensure that if I had to select Unlimited at any part of the flight because it wasn't able to maintain the in-sim setting then it would not go crazy rendering higher then needed frames. 

So to make it easy:

- If running Unlimited due to heavy scenery: unlimited set in-sim and 30 set in NCP (permanently).

- If running the sim limited to 35 FPS it will never go above 30 anyway because of the NCP set to 30 FPS.

It does work flawlessly for my system and see absolutely no autogen popping or blurry textures whatsoever. Even in heavy areas like NYC - but this stability seemed to have been introduced in V5.2 because since then I barely even have to put it to unlimited while before it was needed in few parts of the world.

I hope that answers your question.

Have a similar pc...

Try this...

30fps on sim+30 on NCP and add this line on your p3d.cfg at [MAIN] section...

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

With this settings...have a good autogen loading, very good textures load and very good fps. 

Edited by gianluk81
wrong value in fps lock in sim.
  • Upvote 1

Gianluca Balloni

8 hours ago, newtie said:

I've done that as well, until things get ironed out which they always do.

My fan speeds dropped back down after doing this. My 11GB card has gone back to work :>)

I confirm that even on my system, with 5.2 the temperatures are high and it does not do it with any other sim or game, no in xplane, no in dcs world ... in short, there is really something strange.

Gianluca Balloni

For those of you who rolled back to 5.1:

What process did you follow? I uninstalled the 5.2 client and reinstalled 5.1HF1 and then deleted the shaders, but now get a Gfx device hung error after loading any scenario.

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

54 minutes ago, alepro21 said:

What process did you follow? I uninstalled the 5.2 client and reinstalled 5.1HF1 and then deleted the shaders, but now get a Gfx device hung error after loading any scenario.

I did a full system backup of 5.1 prior to install.

Done.

3 hours ago, newtie said:

I did a full system backup of 5.1 prior to install.

Should have done the same. I couldn't get 5.1 to work properly anymore. Once I moved passed the crash error I had very low frames (despite deleting shaders and shadersHLSL file and installing the client again). Seems that due to me updating content as well I boxed myself into a corner and now would need to do a full re-install. I'm back on 5.2 for now and wait a few days for a hotfix. Failing that I'll do a fresh install of 5.1HF.

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

4 hours ago, alepro21 said:

I uninstalled academic from add remove programs. Then ran setup exe file for 5.1. 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 hours ago, gianluk81 said:

Have a similar pc...

Try this...

30fps on sim+30 on NCP and add this line on your p3d.cfg at [MAIN] section...

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

With this settings...have a good autogen loading, very good textures load and very good fps. 

With that setting your main thread core is spending 90% on fiber jobs and 10% on background scenery loading.

Default value with no FFTF value is 0.33.So your setting wil get higher FPS but less terrain loading speed than default.

If you have a fast GPU and/or do not use terrain settings ( incl shadows) that are not too high for your system then that is ok. Otherwise you will see blurries appearing.

If you want the best of both world then there is FFTF Dynamic from FSPS. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I've asked some guys about your assumption that P3D is putting more load on core 0. The feedback I get from people who test this on a clean install without add-ons, where Apples with apples are compared (Vanilla P3D v5.1 and P3D v5.2) is that their are no differences between them. 

So those people and I myself assume that this could still be the case when using add-ons. AI for instance. Or other shader tools. 

I saw more posts about this here and also over at LM. I would like mention that if you are seeing this increased core 0 load, or even increased overal CPU load, this is not done by P3D.

GPU load could indeed be decreased. Please consider that TrueSky wasn't optimized enough at prior releases. This has now changed as well the overall VRAM handling and GPU handling as well. 

I assume this will not change with 5.2 .

But something will optimize this CPU handling for 5.2. The html and InfoGen issues are hammering most of your systems and this will change with 5.2.

I've noticed a optimization at my end with tests and other beta testers as well 

LM is still working on the HF. So not done yet. But the good news is, you are in focus.

I'm on my way to the Netherlands now....so not at my PC for at least 2 1\2 weeks. 

I will monitor what will happen here and wish you all the best. I trust LM fully to get this under control again. 

I would like to thank those who are very helpful here and provide us with feedback. Not every feedback was helpful and constructive, but fortunately lots of you are really great in helping us out THNX

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png