Sign in to follow this  
cdv0007

WIN11 AND P3D V5.2

Today, Win11 was pushed as scheduled, and I updated it. After the update, P3D V5.2 works well. It is hoped that LM can solve the terrain penetration problem caused by volumetric clouds in the near HF1.

7 minutes ago, cdv0007 said:

Today, Win11 was pushed as scheduled, and I updated it. After the update, P3D V5.2 works well. It is hoped that LM can solve the terrain penetration problem caused by volumetric clouds in the near HF1.

Win11 ??????

Windows 11 is currently only available as part of the Windows Insider Program in the Dev Channel. You shouldn't expect to much from it regarding Gaming Performance in this early stage.

• Like 1

General release is slated for later on in the year.

I am not sure whether I will adopt straight away because the main changes appear to be UI related and not anything that will likely improve sim performance or stability as far as I can tell.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I’m sure it will be released bug free like all Microsoft products (thick sarcasm!) 🙂

Best to wait for the dust to settle. 

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

The hardware requirements are pretty stringent, so many people will not be able to upgrade at all... probably not so much in our community. But for example it's likely that Intel CPUs before 8th gen will not be supported at all, and similar for AMD. You will be required to have TPM 2.0. Microsoft is allowing people without the mandated hardware to install the beta to test, but once it goes final some of them will have to revert to Win10 if they want to keep using their PCs! IMHO it's a car crash in motion.

Put it this way... I'm not touching it with a barge pole until after the release.

• Like 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I haven't looked to much into Windows 11.  I mean to me it looked very similar to Windows 10.  So I guess my question.  Why are they pushing strict hardware requirements?  Is it going to require more horsepower or something?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Why are they pushing strict hardware requirements? 

Planned obsolescence springs to mind.

Each Windows 10 major release is only supported for ~2 years.

And if your machine cannot update to the next major version release, well... you're out of luck - no more support or fixes for you.

May as well be running Windows 7.

Unless you've one of those 10 year support embeded types of Windows 10, prob is the keys for those are a only available to volume licensed Enterprise customers.

I've been out to medium corporate customers to install and configure software where they've advised they've new workstations installed with Windows 10. Only problem was that the required Microsoft .Net Framework doesn't install on all versions of Windows 10, only the latest releases of Win10 support it, and the customer was not ready to go to the latest Windows 10 releases at the time.

In fact for that customer I had to retrieve their original Windows 7 workstations from their recycling room, install the required .Net release and then install and configure the required software... because Windows 7 supported the required .net Framework and Windows 10 didn't.

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

I haven't looked to much into Windows 11.  I mean to me it looked very similar to Windows 10.  So I guess my question.  Why are they pushing strict hardware requirements?  Is it going to require more horsepower or something?

The official explanation is security. There are lots of things under the hood that either are in Win10 but are not compulsory now, or are new in Win11, that take advantage of relatively new and not well-known features added to processors (task virtualisation etc) in the last couple of generations. The stated goal is to make it much harder for malware to get into the system, I guess because they've accepted that there's a threshold on how capable non-technical people can get about protecting their security online, and so the OS needs to take up the slack. 

I think it's a laudable goal, but I think they're being too ambitious too soon. People have gotten used to 5-10 year old machines being able to run the latest Win10 build. They don't replace their hardware as often as they used to. It used to be commonplace to assume that a new OS meant buying a new machine, but those days went away in the Windows 7 era, and people aren't going to accept such a recent and hard cut-off for Win11 hardware. 

Of course, the cynical side of me notes that this is a great way to get lots of people to buy new hardware that they wouldn't otherwise have bought, and I'm sure Intel and AMD are liking what they are hearing, but this is really the culmination of a push on security that's been happening, largely unnoticed, over the last decade or so; starting with Microsoft putting a huge amount of engineering time into hardening the OS base, and ending with them hiring some of the big names in security and doing some industry-leading research into new security technology.

As usual, though, they've really failed on the communication front. The left hand says one thing, the right says another, everyone's confused, and now they won't say anything because someone senior will have said 'shut up until I can come up with a press release that Satya will approve!'.

Allowing beta testers to use hardware that will not support the final release is a stupid idea. Yes, they're saying it'll let them test hardware combinations that they haven't got in their labs and that might let them relax some of the requirements and allow more CPUs etc into the 'trusted circle', but if I spent time testing Win11 and was then told 'thanks, now go back to Win10 or buy new hardware ton run the OS you've been using quite comfortably for x months' I think I would be pretty angry. And that's definitely going to happen. 

• Like 1

It looks to be like the main stumbling block going to Win 11 is the TPM chip running 2.0.   

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

38 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

It looks to be like the main stumbling block going to Win 11 is the TPM chip running 2.0.   

Can you explain in greater detail?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 hours ago, dpergau said:

I’m sure it will be released bug free like all Microsoft products (thick sarcasm!) 🙂

youve got more chance of the next aerosoft scenery having a decent addon, or that crj to fly in a straight line, than you have of windows 11 not having any bugs.

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

TPM is the Trusted Platform Module. It's a hardware chip used to store encryption keys etc as part of the security layer for things like whole-disk encryption, Secure Boot etc.

To begin with, TPMs were put on the motherboard as separate chips. Many boards have a header for one, but not the actual chip, which you can buy for a few $. Laptops usually come with one built-in. Quite often they aren't enabled in the BIOS and have to be turned on. 

Since about 2015, Intel and AMD chips have often come with a TPM actually added on the CPU die. For Intel this is called PTT and for AMD it's fTPM. You can turn this on in the BIOS of your PC, and this activates the on-die TPM. 

In either case, Win11 will require the presence of a TMP compliant to v2.0 of the standard in order to install and to boot (using Secure Boot which is available now but will be mandatory for Win11).

Edited by neilhewitt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Can you explain in greater detail?

Go to RUN ( the magnifying glass next to the WIN symbol in the Windows taskbar) and type TPM.MSC and it will tell you if you are TPM compliant.

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam