Sign in to follow this  
werver

The best default scenery locations in FSX

Guest bfindlay

>Hi Rhett>>Yes you are right>>Sion is real nice.>>Try a challenging short flight from Interlagen to Sion in a>smaller aircraft.>Tried it! Beautiful flight - thanks for the tip! I saved my flight plan - I will attempt to attach it to this thread.Flew in the Trike, 49 minutes from runway to runway. For a challenge:1) set up your controls with pitch, yaw and rudder reversed - to match the controls in a weight shift vehicle.2) try and beat my time! conditions: default weather, day, summer. I had some pretty good turbulence over the peaks, and on descent in the valley.3) see if you can come up with a more direct routing in the Trike that works! (shorter time)Wish me luck on the attachment - Firefox is giving me problems, so I am trying this with IE.

Hi SolarEagle,You mentioned some beautiful National-park places, but do you know the airport names in those area.

Guest aspenleaf

Jackson Hole in Wyoming is pretty good. Fly north out of Jackson and follow the river, look to the west to see the Tetons. It's reasonably accurate.

Guest alex333

Great topic! I thougt about starting it myself...One thing I'd like to know as well is which airports are the closest to the following National Parks:>>Zion National Park>Big Bend National Park>Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National ParkI can highly recommend the Scottish West Coast. Forgot the code of the small airfield that I passed which lay inbetween some mountains an a beautiful coastline. However, try to fly to the East starting from Benbecula (hopefully spelled correctly). A truely great sight!Hawaii is briliant too!GreetingsAlex

Guest KemoF15

Here's a shot of North Coast Oahu and Rio looking down into the CityCheers Rakefsxoahu-1.jpgfsxRIO.jpg

>I second that. I loaded up RJAA yesterday and was greeted>with a throbbing 2.5 FPS versus the normal 20+ FPS I get at>most other large airports with the settings I have.>>GaryWoa! that's really low! You should be getting better than that, with your specs! I get in the upper 20's to 30's at this airport with extremely dens scenery, autogen dense tweaked to 600 trees and 800 buildings, and a rather large UT Traffic file at 100%. My frames do drop in the mid teens in the city proper but the airport is fine! My system is an E6700 2GB, ATI X1950XTX 512MBhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166285.jpg

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi,I think default Rome looks great. Fly out of LIRF and head inland... Also- Easter Island heads are still there - worth a look.Good inspiring thread...Paul

Guest Cormega

I flu a short flight from some farm in VA to KATL...the hills of southwest Virginia are beautimus as is the approach into Atlanta.Not to throw a wrench into this great thread, but I'm compelled to mention that Tampa, Florida (KTPA) has once again recieved the old proverbial shaft in the scenery...you'd think theres only 10,000 people in Tampa and they all live around the airport.Cheers to great thread, carry on... :)

Hi guysI'll get the airport names and travel directions when I get home later tonight.For now here are some screenshots of the places I mentioned. Big Bend National Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Db.jpgLooking out over Zion National Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Di.jpgLooking to the scenery west of Zion Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Dh.jpgYosemite Valley http://sio.midco.net/111lll/fsx%202007-01-...02-52-18-17.jpg

On our World and following 'Americas' Tour http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94854we found so many beautiful made places. Some of those are really outstanding and sure worth a recommendation. The 'problem' will be that you'll need very high scenery and autogen settings to enjoy it in it's full glory !San Diego, London, Paris, the Alps (Sion, Locarno,Lugano to point out a few), Tehran (yes we did our jokes while approaching in formation, but soon where stunned by this beautiful place), Kathmandu (Lukla and Everest are mandatory), Hong Kong (awesome), the whole Taiwanese island, Unalaska, whole Alaska, Vancouver and Rio are great memories.Btw - don't forget to visit Monte Carlo...So many unseen places yet - all waiting to be discovered.Discovered... Yeah, FSDiscover helps a lot :-) !

Guest alex333

I can only agree to Mango.Try the World Tour/Americas Tour-thread link and take some time to enjoy the beautiful pictures collected there. Some are really outstanding. I have a screensaver displaying FSX screenshots since ;)

Zion National Park is 45 miles NE of St George UT. Big Bend is about 240 miles South of Midland-Odessa, TX. Yosemite Park is East of Medesto CA.

Guest Speed

Off the beaten track I recall Lebanon, NH and Chatanooga, TN as standing out as geographically beautiful.

Guest LSflyguy

Some of my favorite "scenic flights" that I haven't seen mentioned as yet: - Kenmore Air Harbor to Chelan, WA (on floats!) - Denver to Vail (KEGE) or Aspen (KASE) in Colorado. Both offer difficult/dangerous instrument approaches so be sure to download your charts before you fly! Depart in late afternoon for some incredible mountain scenery. - Pick an airport anywhere in Colorado and fly to Salt Lake City. I love this route at dawn or dusk. Try it in the 747 with final approach over Provo, UT and watch out for the terrain! - Portland to Newport, Oregon - So many beautiful destinations in the Alps have already been mentioned. Munich to Innsbruck remains one of my all-time favorites. It's a challenging approach and the scenery is stunning. The San Francisco Bay area is another winner. Here are three recommendations: 1. Take off in a GA plane from any airport east of the Bay, such as KMCE, KMER, or KMOD. Do a touch-and-go ILS approach into Livermore (KLVK) to hone your skills, then work your way into the pattern for KSFO or KOAK. 2. Fly a light plane from Palo Alto to Half Moon Bay. A quick but beautiful flight. 3. Any Bay-area airport to Monterey, CA (KMRY). Will even handle a 747! - Any SoCal airport to Catalina Island, CA (KAVX). (Only suitable for light planes.) Finally, if you haven't seen Amsterdam-Schipol airport at night, it's quite impressive. In general, the areas in FSX that combine mountains and lakes/coasts keep me coming back for more. Hope you enjoy some of the above!

Oh yes, I forgot about Chatannooga TN. A nice flight is to start at Lovell field, then go west over the city of Chattanooga at a low level (fly low!). To your south is Lookout Mtn. Then follow the Tennessee River west, (it's almost in a canyon) and it will wiggle thru the mountains, and if you fly low and slow and follow the river, you will have some amazing views.You will come out of the mountain range at Nickajack Lake, in a wide valley that runs NE/SW. They make some good moonshine in those parts...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB