Sign in to follow this  
werver

The best default scenery locations in FSX

So which location in FSX have the best default scenery? Seems there are some really nice locations scattered about, but finding them is hard part, at least in my experience. So the far best places I have found are:Zion National ParkBig Bend National ParkYosemite Valley in Yosemite National ParkRio De janeiroOne of the Hawaiian islands seems to be photo realistic, but I don't know the name of the island.What are the coolest scenery areas you have found?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sion, Switzerland is nice.Rio, you know, is one of those places in FSX that got special design treatment.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Actually I'm most excited about the typical small to medium sized airport in FSX. The ones with a couple to 20 or so jetways / gates.They looks so much more ALIVE in FSX than any previous version. They look like airports.My FS flying is all over the world. In FS2004 and previous versions, this always involved a search for scenery. In FSX, much of the world is acceptable in the default format.

Hi RhettYes you are rightSion is real nice.Try a challenging short flight from Interlagen to Sion in a smaller aircraft.There are many nice places on Hawaii too.RegardsHenrik KorningBGGH

21W!! One of the nicest locations in the world! I'm going there for real once . I did also find some pretty cool place in the jungle, but I don't remember the name thru. Try to search for "Amazon".---------------------------------------Kasper BehrentzsDenmarkhttp://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4853/bannerigifru8.gifALL NEWS FROM FSX COLLECTED AT ONE PLACE!MY SITE, http://www.xflightx.piczo.com

Yes Henrik,In real life I have been to Interlaken's airport, and it is in a spectacular location. Those valley walls to the south of Interlaken really DO go almost straight up and down.Flying "over the hump" of the Jungfrau, Eiger, and Monch to get to Sion would be a real challenge in a small GA aircraft. (!) RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

tncm - the best imomost of the alaska shorelinethe bearing sea coastline is ok too

This is a topic to which everyone should contribute. Sedona, AZ, especially with Xclass USA (must have) is one of my absolute favorites as it has a raised runway on which incidentally it is impossible to land the never-slowing Extra. I agree that Hawaii is good, particularly Lihue, Kaneohe, and Barking Sands. The flight from Sitka to PAPG is fun. Vancouver Intl and Seaplane (the runway is off so you have to start at a parking dock). Also, flying from Jacksonville down the Flordia coast. Marseille is well done (fly southwest from the airport) as it has the Ch

Since X-Class'ing the entire world (couldn't pick just one, so bought them all) the world looks much much better.Rio is a beaut.Tokyo is also good, but FPS MURDER - worse than New York. In fact I reckon Tokyo is where framerates go to die.

Hi Greenland,Thanks to Mace for mentioning Sion and to you for mentioning Interlagen, LSMI to Sion, LSGS. I had never heard of that area before and never realized how truly beautiful it is. I

I second that. I loaded up RJAA yesterday and was greeted with a throbbing 2.5 FPS versus the normal 20+ FPS I get at most other large airports with the settings I have.Gary

>Hi Greenland,>>Thanks to Mace for mentioning Sion and to you for mentioning>Interlagen, LSMI to Sion, LSGS. I had never heard of that>area before and never realized how truly beautiful it is. I

Great thread - I'm aways looking for more good FSX spots.......Loads of great spots in FSX.Some I've listed I use with freeware addons, but they are still great with default FSX.Saltzburg, AustriaMost areas in SwitzerlandLas VegasTrento, ItlayOrcas Island especially using Birds Vol 4 thanks to David Roch - also loads of nice islandss etc in the area.Honolulu using photorealistiic scenery (some in FS9 as well).Santiago, Chile using excellant freeware mesh available on AvsimCoastal Puerto Rico using freeware landclass available on Avsimmany more - i'll be back with others as I think of them.by the way - I love FSX.......have fun

>Hi Rhett>>Yes you are right>>Sion is real nice.>>Try a challenging short flight from Interlagen to Sion in a>smaller aircraft.>Tried it! Beautiful flight - thanks for the tip! I saved my flight plan - I will attempt to attach it to this thread.Flew in the Trike, 49 minutes from runway to runway. For a challenge:1) set up your controls with pitch, yaw and rudder reversed - to match the controls in a weight shift vehicle.2) try and beat my time! conditions: default weather, day, summer. I had some pretty good turbulence over the peaks, and on descent in the valley.3) see if you can come up with a more direct routing in the Trike that works! (shorter time)Wish me luck on the attachment - Firefox is giving me problems, so I am trying this with IE.

Hi SolarEagle,You mentioned some beautiful National-park places, but do you know the airport names in those area.

Jackson Hole in Wyoming is pretty good. Fly north out of Jackson and follow the river, look to the west to see the Tetons. It's reasonably accurate.

Great topic! I thougt about starting it myself...One thing I'd like to know as well is which airports are the closest to the following National Parks:>>Zion National Park>Big Bend National Park>Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National ParkI can highly recommend the Scottish West Coast. Forgot the code of the small airfield that I passed which lay inbetween some mountains an a beautiful coastline. However, try to fly to the East starting from Benbecula (hopefully spelled correctly). A truely great sight!Hawaii is briliant too!GreetingsAlex

Here's a shot of North Coast Oahu and Rio looking down into the CityCheers Rakefsxoahu-1.jpgfsxRIO.jpg

>I second that. I loaded up RJAA yesterday and was greeted>with a throbbing 2.5 FPS versus the normal 20+ FPS I get at>most other large airports with the settings I have.>>GaryWoa! that's really low! You should be getting better than that, with your specs! I get in the upper 20's to 30's at this airport with extremely dens scenery, autogen dense tweaked to 600 trees and 800 buildings, and a rather large UT Traffic file at 100%. My frames do drop in the mid teens in the city proper but the airport is fine! My system is an E6700 2GB, ATI X1950XTX 512MBhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/166285.jpg

Hi,I think default Rome looks great. Fly out of LIRF and head inland... Also- Easter Island heads are still there - worth a look.Good inspiring thread...Paul

I flu a short flight from some farm in VA to KATL...the hills of southwest Virginia are beautimus as is the approach into Atlanta.Not to throw a wrench into this great thread, but I'm compelled to mention that Tampa, Florida (KTPA) has once again recieved the old proverbial shaft in the scenery...you'd think theres only 10,000 people in Tampa and they all live around the airport.Cheers to great thread, carry on... :)

Hi guysI'll get the airport names and travel directions when I get home later tonight.For now here are some screenshots of the places I mentioned. Big Bend National Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Db.jpgLooking out over Zion National Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Di.jpgLooking to the scenery west of Zion Parkhttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/P-51Dh.jpgYosemite Valley http://sio.midco.net/111lll/fsx%202007-01-...02-52-18-17.jpg

On our World and following 'Americas' Tour http://www.fs2004.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94854we found so many beautiful made places. Some of those are really outstanding and sure worth a recommendation. The 'problem' will be that you'll need very high scenery and autogen settings to enjoy it in it's full glory !San Diego, London, Paris, the Alps (Sion, Locarno,Lugano to point out a few), Tehran (yes we did our jokes while approaching in formation, but soon where stunned by this beautiful place), Kathmandu (Lukla and Everest are mandatory), Hong Kong (awesome), the whole Taiwanese island, Unalaska, whole Alaska, Vancouver and Rio are great memories.Btw - don't forget to visit Monte Carlo...So many unseen places yet - all waiting to be discovered.Discovered... Yeah, FSDiscover helps a lot :-) !