Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

MSFS and Ram

9 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

What settings are you using? Do you keep other software open in the background?
When I had 64 GB I never saw more than 25% of the RAM used at 1440p/Ultra, so I sold 2 sticks eventually...

Everything on Ultra, Glass refresh at Medium, both LOD at 200 and 100 scaling on 3440x1440.

Software running at the same time is usually one Chrome browser window (Windy) and Plan-G on a separate monitor. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

4 hours ago, Bandyka said:

If  there are only two slots its expensive yes.

I've got 4 slots, but it's only fast dual channel speed I believe if you only use 2 of them. So I would have been slowing the existing ram down to get more with 4 sticks, or paying too much for it replacing with 16x2.

Edited by manageablebits

8 minutes ago, manageablebits said:

I've got 4 slots, but it's only fast dual channel speed I believe if you only use 2 of them. So I would have been slowing the existing ram down to get more, and paying too much for it.

Double check you motherboard manual on this as it would be unusual. To get Dual channel, you do need to pair up the RAM but you can usually do it with either 1 pair or 2 pairs. Using 3 slots out of 4 would be a problem but using 2 slots for 1 pair or 4 slots for 2 pairs should still give you a dual setup. Also important is that for just two sticks of RAM, it does matter into which slots you plug them. On my motherboard for example, with 4 slots, the first pair has to go into slots 2 and 4.

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

16 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Double check you motherboard manual on this as it would be unusual. To get Dual channel, you do need to pair up the RAM but you can usually do it with either 1 pair or 2 pairs. Using 3 slots out of 4 would be a problem but using 2 slots for 1 pair or 4 slots for 2 pairs should still give you a dual setup. Also important is that for just two sticks of RAM, it does matter into which slots you plug them. On my motherboard for example, with 4 slots, the first pair has to go into slots 2 and 4.

Thanks but everything I've read for my tomahawk b450 suggests adding another 2 sticks would mean lowering the frequency.

1 hour ago, manageablebits said:

Thanks but everything I've read for my tomahawk b450 suggests adding another 2 sticks would mean lowering the frequency.

Yeah I've never seen anything like it except perhaps on a very low end board.

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

1 hour ago, Bandyka said:

Yeah I've never seen anything like it except perhaps on a very low end board.

A bit more digging and it sounds like perhaps it will work if the sticks are identical. Perhaps a risk I'll take some time.

DDR4 is a lot less fussy about mismatched stick types in the same bank compared to the bad old days of DDR2 which were horrific.

A lot of what we do now, including RAM being sold in matched sets and the totally unnecessary heat sinks on non-overclocked RAM are just hangovers from DDR2 which really sucked big time. It was really fussy about matched sets and would not boot unless the timing matched precisely, and it overheated any time you looked at it sideways.

As for 4 sticks versus two, there i some evidence that 4 can be faster especially with Ryzen.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

it overheated any time you looked at it sideways.

🤣😁

I remember those days ... Fun times !!

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I think a lot about RAM in particular is comercial sales nonsense these days. Of course anything your read on the web should be taken wiht a pinch of salt but there are countless articles and YouTube video's showing that a bare bones set of DDR4 RAM running at a given speed (Mhz) can pretty much match an expensive set of "high end" gaming DDR4 with fancy heat sinks and flashing lights running at that same speed and that costs 5 or even 10 times as much.

Even overclocked, heatsinks are more for show than for go with DDR4. 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

20 hours ago, manageablebits said:

A bit more digging and it sounds like perhaps it will work if the sticks are identical. Perhaps a risk I'll take some time.

The sticks don't have to be identical, it will just always run at speed of the lowest stick. Been in IT for 20years 😉 of course you DO want them to be the same always.

Edited by Bandyka

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

I built my new rig with 32 GB, but I guess that's not a factor regarding MFS.

Truth is, together with the new NVme M.2 1 TB 4x PCIe SSD the windows loading time is fast, and even the simulator loads ultrafast...

I guess I could make better use of this whole RAM if I was using DCS, but that's not the case - I'm building a PC for MFS, latter XP12 too...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

1 hour ago, Bandyka said:

The sticks don't have to be identical, it will just always run at speed of the lowest stick. Been in IT for 20years 😉 of course you DO want them to be the same always.

No I know they don't have to be to work. I mean they have to be if you want a good chance of keeping the highest frequency.

Edited by manageablebits

18 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

DDR4 is a lot less fussy about mismatched stick types in the same bank compared to the bad old days of DDR2 which were horrific.

A lot of what we do now, including RAM being sold in matched sets and the totally unnecessary heat sinks on non-overclocked RAM are just hangovers from DDR2 which really sucked big time. It was really fussy about matched sets and would not boot unless the timing matched precisely, and it overheated any time you looked at it sideways.

As for 4 sticks versus two, there i some evidence that 4 can be faster especially with Ryzen.

My mobo specifically can have issues with keeping the high e.g. 3200 speed when you add another 2 to take it to 4. I don't know if thats common or not, but the board and memory I have certainly are (corsair vengeance and msi tomahawk b4550 max).

47 minutes ago, manageablebits said:

No I know they don't have to be to work. I mean they have to be if you want a good chance of keeping the highest frequency.

If they don't its not the end of the world. You get lots more stutters if you don't have enough in the first place. I had them unmatched for a while for testing, it was much better then16GB same speed. Just go for it.

I'll also say most underestimate how important a good motherboard is to start with.

Edited by Bandyka

On 7/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, BIGSKY said:

The sim is only using 25% of my 64 GB of DDR4 3200.

64 gig of ram here also dont think its making much of a difference on my latest build

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett