Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Manually changing LOD to higher values.

So, I tried flying JFK thru Manhatten at dusk (and learned where Alfred E. Neuman got his name, LOL). At times down lower than the Empire State Building, flying right by it, fps got down briefly to 30. Was 41 or so over and through most of the 'scrapers. At LOD 4 the scenery pop was mild.

That flight took over a minute to load !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Even with the UserCfg changes.. Everything still seems either blown out (the clouds), or just plain flat (the scenery below). I can't explain it other then. Scenery appears 3D, but looks flat at the same time. There is a complete disconnect. It's weird. 

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

XBOX friendly !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Expanding the LOD will give you better tree distance, but what i have experience it will look even worse, because you will see the pop-in drawing longer out as it seems to begin to pop-in from the same close distance no matter which lod setting I use.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, styckx said:

Even with the UserCfg changes.. Everything still seems either blown out (the clouds), or just plain flat (the scenery below). I can't explain it other then. Scenery appears 3D, but looks flat at the same time. There is a complete disconnect. It's weird. 

Gamma and shadows is my guess that usually causes this. People would be amazed how much difference poor shadows and lighting can make even just or trees. Probably that issue combining with some interpolated blur filter they added over the textures. Will keep reading the posts to see what people find.

If people want to see just how much lighting and shadows can affect the graphics, check this video out at 6:50 - 7:30. Watch what happens with the way the scenery looks when he shuts down the lighting. Now that's almost a complete ON/OFF so would be less effect for going from one method to another, but it can still be very severe.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Gamma and shadows is my guess that usually causes this. People would be amazed how much difference poor shadows and lighting can make even just or trees. Probably that issue combining with some interpolated blur filter they added over the textures. Will keep reading the posts to see what people find.

If people want to see just how much lighting and shadows can affect the graphics, check this video out at 6:50 - 7:30. Watch what happens with the way the scenery looks when he shuts down the lighting. Now that's almost a complete ON/OFF so would be less effect for going from one method to another, but it can still be very severe.

The flat lighting really does make the 3D terrain seem flat.  I have calibrated my display so I get deep blacks everywhere else, but in MSFS shadows are grey.  When MSFS loads, the splash screen looks great! The colours look good and the shadows are black.   

I haven’t seen a tweak for MSFS that addresses this problem and I don’t want to manually change my calibrated screen.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I found that setting the Useropt.cfg file to read-only breaks Azure Online Voices. Every single time. Just my two cents.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, Mark_A said:

It has not effect on popping. 

have your same issue, did you mange to fix it?

No need to set the cfg file to read-only. Just make sure you have custom set in the graphics menu. Then changes you make in the menu will be saved to the file. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f