Sign in to follow this  
JJ_

SU5 FPS Looking Straight Smooth, But Panning Around Is Bad

Is anyone else experiencing bad frame rates when panning around with either a hat switch or track IR? (prior to latest updates, I had no frame rate issues looking around from the cockpit, but now I do)

• Like 1

Yes, FPS drops quite steeply each time you pan around, causing stutters.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

It's a consequence of their optimizations from what I understand. By not drawing the objects out of view around you, it then has to draw them as you pan, causing the stutters. It's a trade-off. Stutters all the time, or only when you look around. Outside of big cities (on a high-end computer admittedly) I don't experience any stutters while panning.

Personally I'm ok with it, because I now get 60fps while looking ahead when landing at La Guardia or Newark, which I never could have dreamed of before.

1 hour ago, JJ_ said:

Is anyone else experiencing bad frame rates when panning around with either a hat switch or track IR? (prior to latest updates, I had no frame rate issues looking around from the cockpit, but now I do)

Its a known issue.

Just like Redge pointed out, I prefer to have smooth stutterless experience looking ahead for take-off and landings in any airport.  If this is the trade-off, then I'm ok with it for now,  it will get sorted out eventually.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Yeah panning around with TrackIR not nearly as smooth as it was prior to SU5.  I may try locking to 30 or 40 fps and seeing if that helps at all.

Personally I'd rather have low FPS consistently then high FPS with big stutters when changing view. I seriously hope they add an option for "performance mode" separate to "normal mode" for x-box and people with lower end hardware. Maybe x-box or casual simmers don't care about looking out the side but I certainly do when trying to fly as a sim and not a sightseeing game.

Edited by quantumpion
  • Like 1

I've always had a FPS drop while looking around with trackir (or the mouse), this has not changed for better or worse on SU5. I do not have stutters  anymore looking around, though, which I had before because my FPS were on the low side (and the panning dropped them to let's say 25 and that felt "stuttery"). Now I don't have stutters, because the drop is from 50 to 40 or something, and anything above 30 FPS is still smooth with trackir. Strange that this update seems to affect everybody in a different way so much.

57 minutes ago, Redge said:

It's a consequence of their optimizations from what I understand. By not drawing the objects out of view around you, it then has to draw them as you pan, causing the stutters.

I am on windows 11 (which seems to handle memory noticeably more efficiently) and have also recently purchased a Nvme and placed MSFS on it.

As I see people commenting on this issue, I am wondering if I'm possibly not seeing it because the system is redrawing the out-of-sight scenery so quickly that when I turn my head, I am not fast enough to catch the redraw.

Either that or I'm blessed by the sim Gods, and that seems unlikely.

I've watched some others videos of things constantly popping in and out and...... nope.

I wonder if the sim is now optimized for the Xbox's (and supposedly windows 11's upcoming) DirectStorage technology.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

53 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

As I see people commenting on this issue, I am wondering if I'm possibly not seeing it because the system is redrawing the out-of-sight scenery so quickly that when I turn my head, I am not fast enough to catch the redraw.

Same here... I keep reading all of these posts with people complaining about it; but I have not experienced it at all when panning (no re-drawing, no popping, no problems).  Admittedly I have a pretty strong machine (5900X w/ 6900XT, 64 GB RAM).

Same here, no problems at all either. SU5 is working wonderfully for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, FakeWayne said:

Yeah panning around with TrackIR not nearly as smooth as it was prior to SU5.  I may try locking to 30 or 40 fps and seeing if that helps at all.

Good tip @FakeWayne, I'll try the same. Thank you!

I used the NVIDIA Control Panel to lock FPS at 30 and that helped, but its not as smooth as it used to be. Wishful thinking but it would be nice if Asobo created sliders for us to control scenery loading parameters rather than assume one size fits all hardware scenarios. From my perspective, FPS was great prior to the upgrade but now smooth FPS are limited to looking straight ahead only unless I use low graphics settings. 

Silver lining: we can now all become good IFR pilots, LOL!

10 minutes ago, JJ_ said:

I used the NVIDIA Control Panel to lock FPS at 30 and that helped, but its not as smooth as it used to be.

Same here but after the SU5 update that setting turned into a stutterfest here. Unplayable.
So i played around with various settings and settled for this after a 2 day trial:

Nvidia:
Max frame rate: OFF (used to be 30).
VSync: Use 3D app (used to be ON).

MSFS:
VSync: ON (used to be OFF)
Framerate: 20 (used to be on 60 which is in fact unlimited)

This framerate setting at 20 gives me now a constant 40 FPS and it's real smooth again (except for when panning real quick).
Why that has to change after SU5 is still a big mistery to me.

What still bugs me is that the framerate selection in MSFS gives double FPS in game....?

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR