Sign in to follow this  
Matt B

Let's give Update 5 a fair assessment!

13 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

The realism, foggy day or not, starts to go away when you can start to count singular pixels at FL 360 because they have decided to reduce LOD for ground textures even further.

Try this in your UserCfg.opt

(In C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache)

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 7.000000
    }
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 7.000000
    }

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Matt,

I hear you and this forum is a terrable place ATM. 

I see your point but for the love of go"o"d why did you post a photo that is not only burry but also grainy as hell. Not the best way to make your point. Sorry

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

Try this in your UserCfg.opt

(In C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache)

{Terrain
        LoDFactor 7.000000
    }
    {ObjectsLoD
        LoDFactor 7.000000
    }

This is gonna make my FPS implode on the ground or during approach, so I don't think that is a solution, but thanks. I generally would like to keep my FPS gains, but I can easily give away some at high altitude, since up there no buildings etc. are drawn.

Just now, Fiorentoni said:

This is gonna make my FPS implode on the ground or during approach, so I don't think that is a solution, but thanks. I generally would like to keep my FPS gains, but I can easily give away some at high altitude, since up there no buildings etc. are drawn.

I didn't notice any performance difference on an RTX2070 8GB.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

1 minute ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I didn't notice any performance difference on an RTX2070 8GB.

But pretty word not allowed sure you have objects popping in like crazy, no? Or do you use rather low settings otherwise? My 8700K gets totally hammered with LOD 4.000, no FPS drops, but terrible object culling. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just now, AnkH said:

But pretty word not allowed sure you have objects popping in like crazy, no? Or do you use rather low settings otherwise? My 8700K gets totally hammered with LOD 4.000, no FPS drops, but terrible object culling. 

I'm not seeing any, myself.  I run Trees at high...not ultra so, maybe that's why?  I think ultra is more trees than there are in the real world, sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So then if someone has a 9 year old PC. it is OK to roll back graphics so the 9 year old PC has acceptable frame rates, and the people that just bought a PC  in the last year or two for MSFS should see degraded visuals. I am on a fixed income and scrimped and saved to get a new PC, and now I have to look at something that isn't as good as it was a few days ago. 

That cuts both ways Bob. To play devil's advocate:

It's okay to upgrade the simulator so the 9 year old PC has unacceptable framerates/graphics, so that people who just bought a PC in the last couple of years for MFS can see enhanced visuals. They might be on a low income and scrimped and saved but had to spend on something other than a new PC, and now they have to look at something that is a slideshow, whereas right now it is playable.

it is obvious there have been winners and losers with this update, and user experience is varying wildly based on both their hardware and how they use the sim. Hopefully the hotfix will make for fewer losers. To address the thread title, i don't think it's possible to give a fair assessment until the update has been patched.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 5

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

50 minutes ago, Matt B said:

If you are looking for realism... IMO, Update 5 got it right!

Hey Matt

Have you ever seen a tarmac so bright that you hardly see the yellow lines 😉 ?  

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I'm not seeing any, myself.  I run Trees at high...not ultra so, maybe that's why?  I think ultra is more trees than there are in the real world, sometimes.

Well I have 30 FPS instead of 25, when reducing terrain LOD to 100 from my default 200 at KJFK with the FBW A32NX, so I do not think that LOD 700 is usable for me... maybe for rural areas in a default plane.

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Hey Matt

Have you ever seen a tarmac so bright that you hardly see the yellow lines 😉 ?  

LOL.  This.  Squinting into the glare...wait, is that airplane still in front of me?  Sometimes realism is NOT what you want.  Here's the challenge.  Load up NVidea Ansel, get a real photo and adjust the colors to match until you feel the heat coming in from the windshield.

Gregg Seipp

3 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

LOL.  This.  Squinting into the glare...wait, is that airplane still in front of me?  Sometimes realism is NOT what you want.  Here's the challenge.  Load up NVidea Ansel, get a real photo and adjust the colors to match until you feel the heat coming in from the windshield.

Me personally, I am not talking about the bright depiction in sunny weather, that is kinda right. What I do not like is the overcast situation, where the scenery now still is really bright, you can hardly make out any cloud shadows and it is by margins brighter than before SU5, where overcast bad weather (but no rain) resulted in realistically dark scenery. Now it seems to be sunny even if the whole sky is covered by clouds...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

@Gregg_Seipp@Dominique_K This is why I have a pair of polarised sun glasses in the cabin. It's also why I really appreciate cat's eyes when driving in spray and glare, particularly with low sun, as the lines effectively become invisible.

Having said all that, I really dislike the change in lighting and colours with SU5 compared to SU4.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I do wonder occasionally how much the differences people are "debating" over have to do with monitor settings and the like.

I mean, if my monitor is set to "game mode" or "movie settings" I'm going to be seeing something a lot different than somebody else might be seeing.

Then I will come on here to debate how horrible x, y, or z is, when on the Asobo programmers monitor it looks great.....

And round and round we go.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

I do wonder occasionally how much the differences people are "debating" over have to do with monitor settings and the like.

Sure, but I did not change my monitor or my monitor settings between SU4 and SU5 😉 

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

3 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Sure, but I did not change my monitor or my monitor settings between SU4 and SU5 😉 

But who knows what the new clouds look like on the monitor of whoever programmed them.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5